Harry and Hermione Harry and......?

emilykuru posted on Apr 02, 2011 at 12:51PM
so this is basically a forum for some people who want to debate against harmony. and guys, since this is a debate forum, u've got rights to debate! so have fun and enjoy defending your fav couple!
it will mostly be this -

harry and hermione
harry and ginny
harry and luna or perhaps
harry and cho?

you can also take it as a fun spot to just discuss maybe?i dont know! but go on and have fun!
last edited on Apr 02, 2011 at 12:53PM
save

Harry and Hermione 191 replies

Click here to write a response...
Next

Showing Replies 151-191 of 191

over a year ago Tasha1993 said…
smile
These 3 show the same thing. To me, it seemed like Harry did'nt want to let Hermione down and he even vowed to work harder because of it.
over a year ago OnlyHarmioneHJP said…
smile
Absolutely. These three passages show just how much of an influence Hermioine has on Harry. Because he doesn't want to disappoint her, he hides his essays, hides his feelings and vows to work harder so she will be proud of him, or at the very least not yell at him. The fact that Harry is even wanting or trying to work harder because of her opinion shows just how much how much he cares about her opinion. If he didn't care, he's just just hide his bad grades and hope that Hermione wouldn't eventually see them. He wouldn't care one way or another about doing better (much like a redhead we know). The fact that he does is just proof of how much she has rubbed off on him.
over a year ago emilykuru said…
smile
Yes, this shows that Hermione brings out the winner in Harry.she motivates him (even if she doesnt know she is). she is the voice at the back of Harry's mind which tells him what is right.she is the one who brings out the best in him and Harry grows better because of her.
heart
Lets go to the next one.

p. 194

"Tell me, how does it feel being second-best to Weasley, Potter" he asked.
"Shut up, Malfoy," said Hermione sharply.

"I seem to have touched a nerve," said Malfoy, smirking. "Well, just watch yourself Potter, because I'll be dogging your footsteps in case you step out of line."

"Get out!" said Hermione, standing up.

Sniggering, Malfoy gave Harry one last malicious look and departed, Crabbe and Goyle lumbering in his wake. Hermione slammed the compartment door behind them and turned to look at Harry, who knew at once that she, like him, had registered what Malfoy had just said and was unnerved by it.

"Chuck us another Frog," said Ron, who had clearly noticed nothing.

Harry could not talk freely in front of Neville and Luna. He exchanged another nervous look with Hermione and then stared out of the window.

Wonderful little exchange, isn't it? Nobody ever said Malfoy was stupid. What is the nerve that he has touched?

Look at it logically: Draco insulted Harry. Hermione instantaneously snapped back at Draco. Malfoy realizes he has touched a nerve.

Logically, it seems that Draco realizes that putting Harry down in any way is going to upset Hermione and get her to jump in Harry's defense. That is the nerve, the tension. The fact that it was Ron who had outshined Harry only catalyzes a more snappish reaction.

The scene continues, and the 'dogging' comment occurs. Here it is very well displayed that Harry and Hermione are on the same page, while Ron is not.

What purpose does this serve? Why exclude Ron? JKR wants us to know that H/Hr have a special connection on a different - not necessarily higher - level than they do with Ron. This is one of many instances where they are on the same page (pardon the pun) while Ron is not. What purpose does this serve other than to emphasize that H/Hr have a bond that Ron cannot breach? I don't know, but if there is one, it is well hidden.

heart
This in one of my favourites. It shows that Harry and Hermione indeed have a special connection. Out of all he people there, only Harry and Hermione registered what Malfoy said. Forget Luna and Naville, they didn't know about Sirius. But what Ron and Ginny? Especially Ron.
On another note, i loved the way Hermione defended Harry and the way Malfoy thought he would be touching Hermione's nerve by bullying Harry.
last edited over a year ago
smile
yeah!I like this one too!:)
My PC is not working properly i'll come back when its fixed!
heart
Yeah, I really love this exchange because it highlights the mental bond that Harry and Hermione have. They don't even have to say anything to each other and they both get it. Meanwhile Ron is clueless as usual (no offense). This happens many times both in the books and in the films, where Harry and Hermione show that they are on the same wavelength. They answer for each other and have silent exchanges almost at every turn - ESPECIALLY in HBP, something we can rejoice in considering that HBP is where we start to see the crappy couplings emerging...
smile
emilykuru, do u want to comment on this one or should i move on to the next one?
smile
Just a minute,

I love this one - because she is defending him. It really shows how much she cares for Harry. And you can call me Em! And yeah you can move on...
big smile
thanks em:) OnlyHarmioneHJP, is there a nickname that i can call you?
Ok, so lets go to the next one. This time, i'll put 2 together. They both show the same thing.
smile
p. 200

"Did everyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny. "What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't of left, can he?"
"I'll be quite glad if he has." said Luna. "He isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Harry, Ron, and Ginny angrily.

Harry glared at Hermione; she cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm...yes...he's very good."

Small scene with no romantic connotations, except that Harry and Hermione care what the other thinks of them. It's not Ron glaring at Hermione (as could have easily been written) but Harry. At his glare, Hermione immediately amends and gives the answer Harry wants.

p. 701

"Oh come off it, Harry!" said Hermione angrily, stopping dead in her tracks so that the people behind her had to swerve to avoid her. "Of course he's going to be chucked out and to be perfectly honest, after what we've just seen, who can blame Umbridge?"
There was a pause in which Harry glared at her, and her eyes filled slowly with tears.

"You didn't mean that," said Harry quietly.

"No...well...all right...I didn't," she said, wiping her eyes angrily. "But why does he have to make life so difficult for himself -- for us?"

Another telling scene between the two. Harry sent Hermione to tears with just a simple look of disapproval -- this shows just how important it is to her for Harry to like her. She meant what she said -- that's obvious -- but she withdrew her comment and nearly cried just because Harry was angry with her.

Another interesting tidbit is the last word. Us. It's even been italicized, Hermione emphasized the word. The 'us' has to refer to only her and Harry; he's the only one she's talking to and Ron is never mentioned in the conversation.

I just thought it was a sweet little innocent slip from Hermione -- but that's obviously my shipping bias speaking; I doubt if JKR intended it that way, it just happened.

smile
So what do you guys think?
cool
Em and Tasha, if it makes things easier, you can call me HJP =D

With these passages what I really love is there reactions to each other. Specifically, Hermione's reactions to Harry's looks. As soon as he gives her a disapproving look, she softens her attitude. This is not to say that she changes her mind, which she doesn't, but because Harry is essentially telling her (with his eyes) that she is being too harsh, she pulls back a little and rephrases her wording.

In the first case it's clear that Hermione agrees with Luna that Hagrid isn't a very good teacher. This has nothing to do with her (or Luna) loving Hagrid as a person, but when it comes to teaching there is no denying that he uses unconventional methods that probably shouldn't be used. Plus he was new at it. Now Luna is always one to tell the absolute truth, no matter what, and Harry, Ron and Ginny all have a bias because they love Hagrid and all they see is the guy they love, not a professional teacher. So Hermione is inclined to agree with Luna because she speaks the truth, but says nothing because she doesn't want to say anything bad. So when Harry gives her a look, she says something in order to be agreeable. What I love is that Harry was able to get her to do what he wanted, without even saying a word.

In the second case, Hermione is clearly frustrated about the situation that Hagrid has gotten himself (and now them) into. She says what she says because she knows the rules and knows that he is setting himself up for trouble. The fact that she says 'who can blame Umbridge' is extreme because of what Umbridge stands for, and Harry's look brings her back to reality. She knows there is no denying that there is a chance something may happen to Hagrid, but she calms down a bit after Harry's comment makes her realize what she's said.

Also what I love is that Hermione understands what Harry wants just through his look. It just shows again that they have an incredibly strong and unshakable bond that doesn't even compare to anyone elses.
smile
I thought HJP sounds a bit...rude? like, hey HJP! Hello HJP! But I will use it until I find out some better name for you! lol

It looks more like a husband and wife conversation rather tan two friends talking. look at how she understands what he means by just the look of his eyes.
smile
Sure, i'll call u HJP.
And i completely agree with em and HJP. I love how Hermione refrases her words whenever Harry gives her a disapproving look. She clearly only does that to please Harry and not to hurt his feelings.
heart
Yeah, HJP is fine. By like you said Em, if you like or can think of something else for me, run it by me and it can be my new nickname!! I get that typing OnlyHarmioneHJP every time is kind of long, lol. Maybe Harmi, I don't hate that. Or Mione, but that really belongs to Hermione doesn't it? I don't like Only, but like I said, you guys can help me brainstorm, lol

Anyway, I totally agree with the husband/wife comment Em. I've been saying this whole time that their interaction with each other has always been VERY husband/wife, and this is just an example of that. Obviously because it's visual, their husband/wife mannerisms are more evident in the films, but there's no doubt that what happens in the films is inspired by something that already exists in the books.
laugh
^yeah, im searching for a name for you HJP! my think tank is working now!!!!
If u don't mind, how about yr first name?
Oh, and i agree with the husband/wife comment:) Lets go to the next relationship. Lets go to the next one.
heart
p. 222

"Seamus reckons that Harry's lying about You-Know-Who," said Ron succinctly, when Harry did not respond.
Hermione, whom Harry had expected to act angrily on his behalf, sighed.

"Yes, Lavender thinks so too," she said gloomily.

"Been having a nice little chat with her about whether or not I'm a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?" said Harry loudly.

"No," said Hermione calmly. "I told her to keep her big fat mouth shut about you, actually. And it would be quite nice if you stopped jumping down Ron's and my throats, Harry, because if you haven't noticed, we're on your side."

There was a short pause.

"Sorry," said Harry in a low voice.

"That's quite all right," said Hermione with dignity.

Ouch! SMACK! Harry 'got told' there, didn't he? But he apologized, and they moved on. Hermione is the only one willing to deal with an angry Harry, and she is also the only one that can properly put him in his place.

This scene shows that Hermione protected Harry to her dorm mates fiercely, and was then able to put Harry in his place and get him to apologize. This is yet another aspect of their relationship that no one else seems able to touch.

heart
I agree with Laterplayer on this one aswell. People always say that Hermione can't deal with an angry Harry but here she did. She managed to calm him down and get him to apologise. She was even calm herself when dealing with an angry Harry. This probably made Harry feel bad and was one of the reasons that he apologised. If it was Ginny, i see it going to a bigger argument since Ginny herself has a bad temper, just as bad as Harry's. If Harry snapped at her that way, she would have yelled back at him and it would have turned into a bigger argument. Plus, i loved the way Hermione defended Harry to her dormates.
heart
I totally agree. Hermione has a calming effect on Harry that no one else has. Not only does she throw down for his honor to Lavender and anyone else who tries to come at him, but she throws down in order to keep his temper in check because she won't stand for it. And I totally agree that with Ginny things would have gotten worse. If Harry's temper is fire, then Ginny is gasoline - horrible combo!! Hermione is definitely the water that defuses the situation. I also love that Harry instantly apologizes, which shows that Hermione is able to get him to see the error of his ways - much like a wife would! =D
over a year ago Pensieve_Seeker said…
"I don't want anyone to worship--" Harry began hotly.
"I know you don't," said Hermione quickly, looking frightened.

Putting aside any bias, how would you feel about this couple if they were anyone else other than Harry and Hermione?

BTW, Hermione is earth, not water.
^ what do you tell for this one Pensieve?
"Harry," she [Hermione] said timidly, "don't you see? This...this is exactly why we need you...we need to know what it's r-really like...facing him...facing V-Voldemort."
It was the first time she had ever said Voldemort's name, and it was this, more than anything else, that calmed Harry.

And here is an instance with Ginny:

"They do, do they?" said Harry, glaring at Ron and Ginny. Ron looked down at his feet but Ginny seemed quite unabashed.
"Well, you have!" she said. "And you won't look at any of us!"
"It's you lot who won't look at me!" said Harry angrily.
See how Hermione can calm down Harry and Ginny only flares up at him. Until HBP (where everything turned 180 degrees stupid) Ginny wasnt the type for Harry and Harry never liked her much.
Why are you avoiding answering mine, emilykuru?
tongue
^I showed you why I prefer them didnt I?

@emilykuru--Are you saying that because it's Harry and Hermione that it's acceptable for her to look frightened in response to Harry's outburst?

And there's still that matter of that claim you made about Ginny always agreeing with everything Harry says. I'm still waiting for you to provide canon proof of that.
@Pensieve - You said:

"I don't want anyone to worship--" Harry began hotly.
"I know you don't," said Hermione quickly, looking frightened.

Putting aside any bias, how would you feel about this couple if they were anyone else other than Harry and Hermione?

BTW, Hermione is earth, not water.

~~~~~~~~~~~

WTF DOES THIS EVEN MEAN??? What are you trying to show with this??

First, wtf are you talking about Hermione is earth not water?? We're not talking about zodiac signs here or whatever you're talking about. We're talking about WHO DEFUSES THE SITUATION, and in the metaphor I used, HERMIONE IS WATER.

And what about the rest of what you wrote? So she got scared when he got angry - that doesn't mean she isn't able to or won't calm him down! That doesn't prove anything! And if they weren't Harry or Hermione, if they were anyone, why should it be shocking that she got scared??? He's upset, he's expressing it. She was intially frightened by his outburst, but then either deals with him or doesn't. It's not like he's scary all the time.

Either way, nothing about what you said has any relevence to anything!! And the only reason I'm even indulging this comment is because it's so completely random and off base.
tongue
@Pensieve_Seeker - I can show you proof.

When Harry tells her he wants to talk to Sirius she agrees immediately. She is giving him the false sense that it is right to do anything if you want to do it. She tells him 'Being Fred and George's sister has taught me anything is possible....' I dont think it is a good comment to make to a boy who is already known to take rash and fast decisions. You can tell that Ginny helped him and he felt calm and all. But look back where it led him? Being caught by Umbridge the second time he tried it.

And when Harry wants to go the MOM Ginny agrees right? She is not trying to tell Harry it is not safe. It may seem cool to you but it seems like Hermione is the only one who cares for Harry and she has the guts to tell Harry what the situation is really about. And she may be scared but she tells him - something which Ginny isnt able to do.

Dumbledore said {I am afraid I was counting on Ms.Granger to slow you down." - This is exactly why Hermione is the one for Harry. Harry needs her - not Ginny.

If at soem point of time Harry gets angry and bursts out. Ginny will only lash back at him - it wont help the situation. But Hermione on the other side, no matte how much ever hurt she is, she will handle the situation properly. She wont shut her mouth and sit dumbly or even worse encourage him when Harry makes reckless plans (like Ginny)

I think I have shown enough proof until now.
meh
And Pensieve Im going out of station so dont think im running away. i'll be back soon with answers to the questions you are going to ask
tongue
Over two weeks with this one!! Where's the debate?!?!
yeah im back but i dont see anyone here
smile
I'm still here, but everyone else seems to have vanished. I check in everyday to see updates, but nothing changes. I can't really have discussions by myself, lol
over a year ago valerie325 said…
smile
Harmony 4ever
zzz
Everyone is still gone... I'll keep checking in until someone comes back.
over a year ago Kittylexy said…
HERMIONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!
over a year ago Kackahaluzova said…
heart
Hermione !!!
I'm back! Its holidays now. So wat's up?
Everything is so scattered. I'll be checking in now that I know some people are back.
smile
Hey guys:) Sorry i haven't been here in a long time. Should i continue posting bits of the article that i used to post? (The one we were debating)
over a year ago EternalDownfall said…
Hermione's birthday is September 19.