Penguins of Madagascar Artists? Animators? (The Group Project)

NoShameHere posted on Aug 09, 2012 at 05:58PM
So the group animation project is now in the stage for animating. I'm helping out. :B

Basically the idea is to get together all the people who want to help, and form a manageable team. The key word here is manageable.

An ideal team would consist of someone to do the animating outline, someone to do the sketches, someone to color, and someone to put together. Again, the key word is ideal. Not necessary.

So I figure, those who want to help, could respond here and say which part they would like to do, and provide an example of their work. That's easy enough right?

Penguins of Madagascar 24 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Skipperlovah258 said…
hmmm
I may join...
over a year ago SJF_Penguin2 said…
Thank you, NoShameHere, for helping out with this stage of the project.

If by chance anyone does not know what this forum is all about, see my original forum on the project (link).
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago _Lexii23_ said…
big smile
Could I maybe do the title screens for the episodes?

Here is a random drawing I did I while back. I've gotten a lot better at drawing Marlene :3

link

:D
over a year ago NoShameHere said…
Hm, I hadn't thought of title cards...
My original plan was to add just a basic text title at the beginning as the last step in the process, in addition to a card at the end to credit those who worked on the project. I'm already thinking about the layout for the credits, in fact. I think a titlecard might be better on something longer and more episode-like; the actual material in "A Ninja's Worst Enemy" only runs around 43 seconds.
over a year ago Icicle1penguin said…
smile
...How many frames are we going to put in for animation? :3
over a year ago Andjane said…
cool
umm id like to help but im not very good...
Backgrounds?Here in the HQ its off scale though and my first one- link
If not i don't mind as i'm sure theres somebody who could do better lol. =D
over a year ago 1kowalskilover said…
big smile
i'm only 11 and well i enjoy drawing but i don't know about u guys i love both pom and drawing
over a year ago B0XFISH said…
What tasks are involved in this animation project, or more specific how many frames will it be in one scene? And how many scenes? Will it be a storyboard for it or just a script? How detailed will it be? I may help (next year I'll apply for an animation college, so this might be a good practice) but first I want to know how much time this will take. School is starting soon and it will devour time.

I also wish to leave an advice that might save time for the ideal team. If every artist have the same paint program they can draw the line-art on a separate layer and then save it, for example,as a psd file (a photoshop format(Photoshop is the only program I familiar with)) wich allow the next team to reopen the file in it's same state. I.e, the coloring team will also have the lineart on a separate layer and so, they can add yet another layer below and easy apply the colors, fast and without causing any "damage" to the line-art. It will also be a major time saver and a "clean and neat" way to apply the finish piece to a background, and allow you to move the characters without affect the background. I know there is free digital art softwear tools to download such as GIMP (link) (similar to photoshop is it's description) so it's not an impossible idea... well thats my tip :)
over a year ago Kowalski1321 said…
smile
I want to be part of the drawing (sketching) part. I've already posted Marlene bowling picture from the script a week ago but if there is a tryout or anything else about the drawing part I would like to know more. Anyway, this project seems like it's going good so far, hope it turns out great.
@B0XFISH: I am unsure how many frames would be needed, but enough for the motion to be somewhat smooth. At one point I had mentioned an animated scene with Kowalski and Private from YouTube (link) as a simple style of animation that might be able to be used on this project. As for details, I'd probably want a tad more detail than in the aforementioned video, but I don't need things to be as detailed as on TV.

There is a script; it can be found on the first page of my original forum (link). You can also listen to the audio of the short scene on YouTube (link).

Your idea about having people use the same program is much appreciated. I think it's important for the art to appear as consistent as possible from start to finish.
You know, I think the amount of frames would be dependent on who did the basic sketches for animating wouldn't it? Like I, personally, prefer to use the basic 24 frames a second.
monkey
(I'm here just so I can maybe help NoShameHere a little more with organization)

^Alright then. Everyone alright with 24 frames a second?
tongue
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Just started college.

Busier than I expected.

If you all are willing, SJF in particular as he's the mastermind behind everything, then you guys could bare with me here while I get into the rhythm of things.

However, if it would be more beneficial I suppose I wouldn't mind someone else organizing. I guess.

I would understand at least. :B
As the "mastermind"/producer/what have you of this project, I do have a desire to see progress being made. However, when I consider that I have an entirely volunteer crew whose members have real-life commitments far more important than their fandom activities, it would be wrong of me to be anything other than understanding.
tongue
And the fact that you want progress is completely understandable too, I know I'd hate to have a project started and have it go painstakingly slow because I was relying on others. I mean for pete's sake the soonest I was able to get on was four days later. D:

That being said, if I'm still helping with this project then we(being everyone helping, including myself) need to get a move on. :P

First things first we need to organize who's best at what and who is willing to do what.

Who here knows how to create smooth animations?
over a year ago juhpink said…
angelic
Uh, I would like to say : THAT'S AWESOME :-D The caracter's voice was so well done !! I could not believe how Rico sounded as, uh, Rico !!! Marlene and Skipper were so incredible !!! I've have been in a tests weeks so I didn't see about this lately, but it is over :-D So, I would like to try drawing for this. Then I'll put on an example :)
:-D Let's not forget, those things are complex. Patience is the answer, we just have to work hard when we can .
monkey
^That's a great way to look at things! Now onto business: We need the basic sketch of the scenario. Volunteers? Anyone?
angelic
I am sorry for changing the subject, but I believe we can find a way to everyone help with it. In SJF's post, some fans were asking about the background song. I was also wanting to help with the song because I think it's the only thing I know how to do!! Then when the most complicated part's done ( the animations) , I think we should do a little opening ( just like Rock on Pom music videos ) and each one who plays an instrument can do a part of the Penguins of Madagascar's song. But only few seconds, exactly like the half hour episodes ( that the opening is very short) . And the variety of instruments is awesome !! Piano, guitar, eletric guitar , saxophone , Guzheng and others...
We needed a sheet for each participant and when everybody has recorded , we would put all together . Who knows, maybe it would be great :-D
I really don't want to discourage creativity, but I don't think a song is necessary for this production. But as I've said before, music is something that can be considered for longer projects in the future if there are any.

For today, let's keep the conversation going about animation. However, in the interest of time, if animation work cannot begin in the next few weeks, I will probably look for someone (or a few people working together) to draw still drawings instead. In such case, the project will take on a sort of storyboard form, except with a bit more detail.
angelic
Well, I understand. I just think that some fans that want to help cannot do the animation's thing, so the song could open a way for those people... But it's right! In the future, we'll do a longer project.
*headdesk* This isn't going nearly as well as the voice actors bit. :'D

Should I do a journal for DA too? o3o
angelic
I understanddd... But we know it's the most difficult section... I really wanted to have more time because it's the most necessary thing to do an animation ... Buut I believe tomorrow I will work in the afternoon to learn it !!
angelic
Ok, I used this Friday to study a little about animation and start the project. I read here ( fanpop ) that an animation requires twenty four images for each second. But how our animation isn't the most accurate ( yeah ?? How can we do twenty- four images ??? ) I did a perspective of twelve images for each second. I drew quickly the very first second and it needed twelve drawings. And there's a detail. I can only draw by the hand because I don't draw in computers well. Nevertheless I started it and decided to draw first the scene that I have called " The 10th " ! :) I think it's going to work, but I cannot guarantee that if someone puts it together, it'll be an animation. Though I am being very cautious with the smallest detail and measuring what I can , even taking three pictures of each one... As soon as I finish it ( just the 10th scene ) I'll put it here :_D