Penguins of Madagascar Presidential Election Fall 2011

Penguinangel posted on Nov 08, 2011 at 03:41PM
It's election time again! For those of you who weren't around for the last one, I'll explain how it's gonna work.

For the next week or two anyone who wants to be in the election just has to say so on this forum, and someone else has to second them (just say that you want them to run too).

Once we have all of our candidates in, they can write a speech if they choose to about why they should be president, and I will post a fanpick will all of thier names. Then it's voting time!

If we have more than 4 people running, we will have two rounds of fanpicks. The second will have the top 3 candidates. First place will become the new President, and second place will become Vice President.

Rules!

1) The candidates have to leave a comment on the fanpicks so we know they did not vote for themselves. No one else has to leave a comment this time, since we lost a lot of good votes because of that and almost got two different results.

2) DO NOT BRING IN YOUR FRIENDS FROM OTHER FANDOMS TO VOTE. I don't care if they somehow found out about it on thier own and insist on voting for you. Make sure they don't, or tell me that they did and that vote will not count.

3) If you have multiple accounts, only vote from one of them.

4) You can only second two people, so don't go wasting those before you see who all wants to run.

Current Candidates:

Metallica1147
Matchmaker11
SPKR689
xDark_Angelx
Penguinangel
penguin014
quasomeness
light12345
last edited on Nov 21, 2011 at 07:56PM

Penguins of Madagascar 60 replies

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 60

over a year ago Motorbreath said…
Oh boy, do we have to register before voting too? Isn’t that everyone’s favorite part? No? Well, moving on. A few points;

1.In terms of Vice President, I feel that it’s the candidate’s decision on who he/she wants to hold that position. If a decision can’t be made, then yes the runner-up will be granted that title.

2.I think that speeches should be mandatory, not voluntary. Many new fans here will probably have no idea who some of the other candidates are, making it more likely that they will vote for a familiar face rather than someone’s actual ability (something which Rule 2 attempts to eradicate). Unless the candidate has a very valid reason for not posting a speech, they shouldn’t qualify to run.

3.Rule 2 seems a little severe for what this is. It’s not like many people are voting based on a candidates ability to manage the EPA or handle foreign policy with Israel, so there’s not much one can do in determining who to vote for besides ‘who I like’ (which is why I feel speeches should be required). And if it is discovered that someone’s friends happen to stumble upon the pick and spam their BFF without the candidate’s knowledge, should they really be held accountable? Just food for thought.

4.Nice timing for the date, did you plan that out?

I might just be taking things a little too seriously, but just some things to think about. I’m certainly not asking for these things to be set in stone.
over a year ago Penguinangel said…
Yes, you have to register. I suggest you start filling out your forms now.

1. We're not trying to run this exactly like the U.S Presidential election here. ^^ I think that it's best for runner-up to get VP first of all so that the Pres doesn't just choose thier friend, and second because obviously more people wanted that second place candidate to win than some random person who may not have even been in the polls.

2. We could make them manditory, I just didn't want to force someone to make a speech who really doesn't want to. Of course, if they choose not to make a speech, that would probably put them at a dissadvantage, so candidates should want to make one anyway.

3. I'm just trying to prevent this from being a total popularity contest. I know there's not much we can do within the fandom, but we don't need 30 Twilight fans or whatever flocking in to the polls because they found out their friend was in this. If the candidate doesn't know, then I won't blame them. But that votes still shouldn't count if we do find out. This rule is more of an honor thing. Also, this is because I know of at least one fan around here who's more of a spammer really that has probably 10 accounts that they would use to cheat. I just want to prevent any problems before they have a chance to happen if they stumble across this.

4. Nope, it was a total coincidence.
over a year ago penguinlover13 said…
smile
Wait, I read the forum from last year and it said this is just for fun. It is real this time?
Depends on what you mean by "real". We're really having an election, but it's really only a title that the President gets. If I could, I'd love to make this an election where the President actually gets modding powers and stuff around the site, but I can't. And it's unfair if the people who don't want an election at all or who miss it to have to follow a bunch of rules the President makes up. But, you could say it's the President's responsibility to look after the site (keep the peace, make sure people are reporting spam, keep the place somewhat organized if possible) if that's what you mean by "real"
over a year ago Metallica1147 said…
rainy
Even though I am the prez now, I'm not running. *Sigh* I mean, who would want a stupid retard depressed teen as their prez? For who ever wins the election, I hope your a better prez then me........
over a year ago EppofangirlXD said…
tongue
Um, it's kinda always been a popularity contest, you know...meh.

I wonder who the new president will be? Hopefully it would be more like the presidents of the USA, who do a whole of things, and not like the presidents of Singapore, who do nothing and get paid a whole lot for it. O_O (because here our leaders are Prime Ministers, not presidents. I think.)
Yes Penguinangel, that's what I meant. :) thanks, I get it now. :3
last edited over a year ago
Brandon: Stop talking like that already! You know how upset it makes me as your friend to see you constantly bringing yourself down like that? You had over half the votes last time from the fans here. That's gotta mean something that that many people wanted YOU as president! Not me, not Icicle, not SJF, not anyone else, but YOU. And you're not stupid, so stop saying that you are.

Eppo: Yeah I know, but as long as we can at least keep it inside the fandom is my main thing.
*Sigh* Ok ok ok, I'm sorry for what i said. I'm going though depressing times right now and I know I need to stop. Look............*sigh*..........Idk if should still run or not. I'm the prez right now yeah.........uhg. Is there anyone who would want me to run? I wanna know......
over a year ago Matchmaker11 said…
Brandan: You really need to stop focusing on you flaws that do not exist. You are a great guy. There are many great things about you. There is no need for this depressing talk. I hope you get through this.

Anyway I would like to run, does anyone second that? Anyone?
over a year ago Zelda4Efas said…
i'll second you so u can run, ca't say I'll vote 4 u though heheheh! 3XD! Actually...I might vote for you. Depends who the other candidates are and what ur speech is i guess (if u make one. Good luk!
big smile
Thank you! I will make a speech when it's time for speeches
Alright I'm run. I'm really sorry guys for the things I've said. I am a negative person but I need to work on it. So I'm running, but again I'm sorry.
Thank you, Brandon. :) Just don't be bringing yourself down like that. It really makes me sad to see. *hugs*

Sooo, I guess I'll be adding the candidates to the section at the top of the forum. Right now, it's Matchmaker11 and Brandon (he doesn't need to be seconded because he's the current Prez, but you know I'd second him anyway).
big smile
Good luck Brandon! It's more likely you'll win since you're well known here and ...I've only been here since Saturday. But you can't blame a girl for trying.
over a year ago iLikeKowalski said…
smile
Okay, sorry, but I have many questions.
1. What would/does the president even do here? Veto laws? We don't have a Congress to make laws to veto. And if the president does make laws, won't that be unfair to people who don't want to follow the rules on the club, but still follow the rules of fanpop, get spammed, and lose their account? Angel, I know you said we're not doing things EXACTLY as they are in the states, but what form of government is this going to be? Democratic? Republic? (And if so, when are we going to elect the representatives?) What does the vice president do? Take over when the president is going away on vacation? And what if the president is living with their parents still, does something bad, and gets their computer privileges revoked with no heads up and suddenly can't run the club? How will the vice president know that the president is gone and needs their job temporarily filled?
2. There are some tiny flaws in the election process. What if it's a tie between two candidates? The same thing happened back in 1800, so there is a chance this could happen. And what if the president and vice president have two completely different ideas on how to run this club? We’ll all will be split into two different sides and it will become extremely hectic here if that happens. Sorry for making so many of those annoying "if" questions! And how would we know someone had brought their friends from a different club here? Is this election going to take place in one of those "fan pick" things? And what if the candidate has other accounts, doesn’t tell us about them, and uses them to cheat?
3. How would I know who to second if I had never met any of the candidates before? (Which, I'm not saying I haven't, it's just for the record) Are they allowed to make side speeches so we have an idea of who they are and if they're "office" material? Also, it doesn't say anywhere that I have a limited number of seconds. And, if it IS unlimited, I would like to second everybody who wants to run.

This is a really great idea! Very exciting!!
And I have many answers. X3

1. The president will not be able to make rules around here, because like you said, it would be unfair to those who don't want extra rules. But they are supposed to make sure the basic Fanpop rules are followed, and the given rules like not spamming, not flaming. They SHOULD also tell any new fans who don't seem to know the basic guidelines like OCs go to the other spot, or posting images in the right sub-catagory, how exactly things run around here.

I don't know too much about the US government so sorry if I get this mixed up a bit, but I'd think more Republican because the President doesn't have much power, it's more just a title. They can choose to really step up as President and get the fans here together, but they can't force anyone to do anything.

The representatives are being chosen right now for 2 weeks from November 9th when I posted this, so until November 23rd.

The Vice President just helps out the President with whatever activities they want to plan or any problems they need to solve, and they take over when the President is gone. If something happens to the President where they can't get online, well, first of all I don't think it'd be a huge dilemna seeing as we've had a Prez and VP all year and most people I don't think even knew. XD But the VP can run things too even with the Prez around, so they'd basically just carry on like normal, just without knowing the Prez was gone.

2. If there's a tie for VP, then the two candidates will probably just share the position. If it's a tie for Prez, then I will see if the poll can be editted to open for another week or so to try and break the tie. If it can't then the two can either decide to share the position, one can step down to VP, or we will have a third poll between just the two of them instead of the top three.

Here's the thing, mostly everyone here is friends, and anyone running for president that'd get a bunch of votes is probably an agreeable person, right? So we shouldn't have that any big clashing problems at all. And besides, they don't have enough power from this to really impact the spot negatively that much. But if there IS a differing view, and it's for something important, they can always ask other fans here for advice. Just because we have a president doesn't mean that no one else can help out at all.

We can't know 100% unless we see they commented on the polls (and yes, it is a fanpick), or unless someone goes around stalking everyone's profiles to see who picked who. It's really just an honor thing here. But if someone is caught big-time cheating, then first of all it'll be a big reputation hit for them, and second they will be taken off of the polls.

You know, I'm beginning to think that Fanpop is going to say this comment is too long to be posted... XD

3. Simple. If you see someone wants to run who you want to be on the polls, then second them if they're not already. If you don't know them or don't want them to be Prez, then don't.

Define "side speeches". All of the candidates will be (or have the option at least) of making a speech once the polls go up, but I suppose they could say something to get someone to second them if that's what you mean. It just might get a bit confusing here and some speeches might get lost while we're still setting this up.

Lol I think that two seconds per person should work. I'll edit that into the rules at the top somewhere.
over a year ago InternetGirl123 said…
So... can anyone on the fan spot vote? Or do we have to register or something like that? (I wasn't here last year if you can't tell)
smile
Don't worry, no registering. XD Everyone here is welcome, and encouraged, to vote.
over a year ago SPKR689 said…
Sounds awesome. I think I might try to run this time. :)
over a year ago InternetGirl123 said…
smile
Alright then. Ima voter. :)
SPKR: THEN I SECOND YOU. And now I add you to da list. :3
over a year ago xDark_Angelx said…
I think I'd like to try to run once again. It was kind of fun last time, and it's worth a shot. There's nothing to lose. Of course, a person to second me is required, but this is just me offering my running for Prez. :)
D-Angel: Aaand, I second you too. XD Wasn't gonna second anyone else for at least a couple days now, but I really think you deserve to be in the running for President. :) So I guess everyone else has to get in from someone else. XD

Oh, and planning this thing, I totally forgot, I'd like to run too. XD So if anyone feels like seconding me, I'll love you forever. :3
over a year ago krazy4kowalski said…
Wait, I've been off the site for ages. Was the last election the one I held or was their one in between? If there was no election in between, then can SJFPenguin_2 not run because he's the current President?
^Actually, there was another election, and I won. So I'm the curent prez
I second you Penguinangel! So when are we going to make speeches.
over a year ago iLikeKowalski said…
big smile
Penguinangle: Ooooooh! That clears up everything! XD Thanks for the information! (And I second you even though Matchmaker already did. :P )
over a year ago light12345 said…
smile
i would like to run 2 besides it may be fun to be the president or vice-president
k4k: Yeah, you have. You should really stop by more often! X) Like Brandon said, he's Prez right now, and I'm VP. You only missed one. And SJF can run, he just hasn't said anything about it yet. I know he decided to drop out last time, so I don't know if he'll join back in again now...

Matchmaker and iLikeKowalski: Thank yoouu! :D
@Penguinangel: Sorry, I spent the past six months in Israel. I didn't really use a computer.
k4k: Really now? That must've been cool. Anyway, it's nice to see you around again.
hmmm
Great to see you too! Hmmm, see...Does this count as seeing? I guess I see comments...*stares into space*
I can see an icon! ...Eehh, close enough. So forever more, you will look like a picture of Private with a sword through him to me. XD
over a year ago penguin014 said…
big smile
Can I be elected? X3
over a year ago hahahaidontcare said…
wink
Dudes, I'm not running but I'll be glad to help with all the voting and elections. I'm not so good at drawing but if you like, I can make campaign posters. I'm a noob here, but I know how this works.
Yayay. Watching this election from a dark corner. Again. For the third time, actually....
smile
i elected u penguin014
over a year ago ruthc93 said…
^^ Then we're in the same boat, Eppo. Let us huddle in the corner together. X3
Thank u light12345 :D
big smile
your welcome
cool
^^^ yay, Ruth! Want a cookie? *waves PoM flag* I wonder who I'll vote for. I guess it'll depend on how awesome someone's speech is.
big smile
When may I write a speech can I ask? :D
We'll all post our speeches here once I post the fanpick, which'll be on the 22nd or 23rd.
over a year ago quasomeness said…
smile
I'd like to join! But I don't have anyone to second me yet.
^ I'll second you quasomeness! :)
^Great! Thank you very much!
smile
^ Your welcome! :D
Can I be elected? please?
^I'll second you. Welcome to the race!