Twilight Series WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE BELLA?!

Meg08 posted on Nov 11, 2007 at 05:07AM
Someone please explain to me WHY they like Bella. What good has she done? Everyone is always on Edward or Jacob for the stuff that they've done, but no one (other then me and my sister) seems to see that "sweet, weak, little Bells" is the root of their problems, the root of evil in Twilight! Will, most of the evil!

She's broken Jacob's heart twice, hurt Edward many times, and isn't even sure who she loves! You can't love both, they're just too different!

Someone, anyone, tell me exactly why you like Bella. Or if you feel like me, feel free to add to my arguement(sp?)! ^_^

Twilight Series 29 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago sweetmonkeytoes said…
She is human!! She isn't perfect and I can relate to her. I think if her character was any different I don't think I'd love this book nearly as much. For someone so ordinary she didn't have just one good choice but two. And they fell in love with her even though she wasn't "super special". Yes she has had some difficulty but it wasn't necessarily her fault. Nobody is perfect and they ALL have made mistakes but that's life! She fell in love with Edward first and he was amazing and then he left. Consequently falling in love with Jacob but in a different subtle way. That's my opinion and I'm a big Bella fan so there you are. :)
over a year ago CharmedAngel88 said…
I like the answer sweetmonkeytoes gave because I really do think that it speaks for most of the Bella supporters out there. She's human, she's not perfect, she's relatable, and she's ordinary. She has many qualities to her that make her a character that people like. Bella is a character that many readers can see themselves in and if you see yourself in someone you tend to like that person.

But on the otherhand, I can really see how people can not like her. She has hurt (unintentionally) not only one but two great guys. And for people on either Team Edward or Team Jacob hurting one of them is enough reason to cause dislike. She really does need to figure out what she really wants in her life. If she wants to be with Edward then she needs to keep it that way and not string Jacob along. If she wants to be with Jacob, Edward may be hurt but he'll understand and let her go because he loves her that much. Even though she's made a promise that once she made her decision she was going to stick to it I still have fear that she'll back out and hurt both guys again. And we know that all three of them have gone through enough.
over a year ago Meg08 said…
Thank you both. I respect your points of view greatly.

I really don't relate with Bella that much, I'm a bookworm and I'm clusmey(sp?)... that's about it. Well, and she loves Edward. *mumbles* Not that she deserves(sp?) him! I relate more with Alice. She rules! lol. ^_^
I think Alice is awesome! She is great and one of my favorite characters. So if you can relate to Alice you've gotta be really cool! And I agree, I really don't think that Bella deserves Edward either, but he loves her so I guess that's just the way it has to be.
... well, if he's happy... but I swear if she hurts- oops... I'm not on fanfiction.net right now... Sorry about that, me and my sister write fanfictions and we wrote a Twilight one and the first thing we did was have Bella die in New Moon in the Meadow(sp?).

Yeah, Alice is my favorite other then Edward, then Carlisle(sp?) I think... or maybe Jasper... idk.
over a year ago gracie08 said…
i still don't like her. she hurts jacob too much.

poo on bella
over a year ago XpsychotickissX said…
i love her(not in taht way) shes one of my favorite female book charectors, i can relate to her, & teh whole indesicive over the 2 is something i can understand & shes just amazing
...Well, way to stand by her!

I still hate her. And you tell 'em sis! She hurts everyone she loves! Charlie, Edward, Jacob! I can't believe her sometimes.
Sorry, but I had to laugh just a little about the fanfiction.net thing. Wow, having Bella die in the meadow. That is an interesting take on things. In your version of things Edward didn't kill himself, right? Because that would be terrible!

And you're right, Bella does hurt the people she loves. I'm sure it's unintentional, but she still does it. But then again, haven't we all done that? But anyway, I can't really say that I love Bella or that I hate her. I'm probably just neutral towards her. In Twilight I liked her a lot, but then as the series has gone on I have started to like her less and less. I wonder if that's happened to anyone else.
OH LORD NO!!!!! I COULD NEVER WRITE ANYTHING THAT EDWARD WAS DEAD IN!!!! *deep breath* Ok, I'm better. No, Alice talked him out of it. thank God! The fic is a Edward/OC and Jacob/OC story. It shows how both of them fall in love after Bella's death, but that's more of the subplot. The main plot is about the two OCs, an evil werewolf, and Alice! lol. Its really cool if I do say so myself. And surprise, surprise me and Grace are the OCs. lol.

If you wanna read, please do!, just sreach cassie08 on fanfiction.net and the story is called 'Walk Two Sides'. Grace is just starting to post the chapters, but four or five chapters are already up! The only problem is we wrote it before Eclipes(sp?) was out, so we didn't know how the mind-link with the werewolves or how Edward's telopathic power worked.

I liked Bella in the begining(sp?) of Twilight, but by the end I started to dislike her, and in New Moon my dislike moved on to the darkside. lol.
.....i don't think i ever really liked her, lol. :D sorry, can't help it. but you can't blame it all on me. meg there had me half turned against her before i even started reading them.

(by the way, she did not MAKE me read them. she kept telling me how good they were, and i took it home one day) ((but she DID get me into Brad Pitt although that wasn't hard, and series of unfortunate enents, and sort of harry potter....))

but anyway!!

stupid bella!
No, I didn't make you, but I did ruin most of New Moon for you... sorry about that again! Brad Pitt was WAY too easy, put the movie in and sit you in front of the TV. ;)
yeah. you just couldn't believe i'd never watched one.

seriously people, i was like....14...maybe 15. lol
I love you guys, you both make me laugh. I already told Meg this in a message not too long ago but I'll write it again. I read the fic and I liked it a lot. So whenever you can, please post more. :D

I wish that I could get my sister to read the Twilight series, then I would have someone to talk about the books with when I'm not online.
ooo!!! im glad you liked it!! i'll update tonight!! :D see, destiny called us together. i typed like five chapters ahead last week, so i've just been updating by clicking them in and not having to type anything. so i can probly do two at once! :D won't you just love me?

at least your sister reads. i couldn't get mine (my other sister) to pick up anything other than a softball or bat unless i was paying her a good bit of money...i love talking with everyone on here though! you guys are great!

~hugs~
Yep! I loved it! Yay, more chapters! I can't wait to read them!

Yeah, at least my sister reads. I don't know what I would do if my sister were like your sister that you mentioned. But when I'm with my sister we have other stuff to do. We're trying to start a band so we work on songs and stuff like that whenever I'm with her. But it's kinda sad when I make a Twilight reference and she has no clue what I'm talking about. Maybe one day I'll get her to read them. But I really do enjoy talking to people on here, you meet a whole bunch of new people who like some of the same things you do. It's really fun!
i know! ~sqee~ and what's funny is, i found this place by total and complete acciden.
my mom understand more about twilight than my other sister...she's interested enough to listen to me rant about it, lol
Yeah... today me and Gracie are passing Twilight on to one of our good friends and she has rules to follow when reading it. lol

1.) She's not allowed to fall in love with Edward, until after she has read New Moon and given Jacob his fair shot at her love. lol

2.) She is allowed to hate or like Bella as much as she wants.

3.) She has to read it with an open mind.
over a year ago funnyshawna said…
i dont like bella. i think shes a bitch!
over a year ago cheergeek said…
I don't like her and can't stand her. Sometimes when I reread I feel bad for her.... but then I rembered that I completly don't really care about her feelings.

the only problem with that is sometimes I miss things. XD
haha mee too:)
over a year ago Lila856 said…
BELLA IS A BITCH!
worst character in the books!
but i can still stand her cuz i just really love her w. edward!
yeah...true...grt. but i still hate her!
over a year ago FloatingMuffins said…
I have a better question: Why does everyone HATE Bella? Bella is human. We all make mistakes. I doubt anyone here has never made a mistake. Why is everyone only focusing on the horrible. If I chose anyone of you at random and started listing off all the mistakes you've made. How would you feel? And here is another question: How can you hate Bella, the BIGGEST CHARACTER (AND NARRATOR)IN THE BOOK and still love Twilight. The book series does not just revolve around Edward or Jacob. If Mrs. Meyer killed Bella off, the story would have to be told from someone else's point of view, Edward would probably go to the Volturi again, and Jacob's heart would break. All of the people who hate Bela hate Bella because she hurt Edward and/or Jacob. Yes, those were mistakes and yes she shouldn't have done that, BUT we all make mistakes. And can't you people stop swearing at Bella. Everyone who hates her says she is a b!tch, but if I only focused on who you hurt and all your mistakes, I'd think you were one too. She deeply hurt Edward and Jacob, but I'll bet all of you have hurt someone just as much in your life. You guys have all read Twilight. Don't you all remember when Alice said," Do you think any of us want to look in his eyes for the next 100 years if he loses you?" Before Bella Edward never felt that he needed someone else, and now that he has found who completes him he isn't letting go without a fight. Now that he knows what it feels like to be with his soul mate, do you really think he will leave Bella, again. Too many people are jealous because Bella has Edward AND Jacob. Well, I hate to break it to you, but Edward and Bella will stay TOGETHER unless one dies, then the other will too. Stop hoping that Mrs. Meyer will kill Bella off so you can fantasize over having Bella all to yourself. And I love Edward and I wish he were mine and I still ogle over him, but people, wait for your own Edward. And in case you want Bella and Jacob to get together, or you just love Jacob so much more, why do you hate Bella? Jacob loves Bella and is fighting for her. He really doesn't want Bella to go with Edward, but he cares about her and if Bella were to die, Jacob would be pained. Without Bella, Edward, Jacob, all the Cullen's, all the Quiluetes, and all of the people who loved Bella would be devastated. Bella basically holds all these chracters that we love together. People, stop HATING ON BELLA!
well, the book is just so good that u cant help but love it! i think that the reason bella is not ppl's favorites is that everybody else is just so flawless, and shes the only one who's not that she's the only one who really makes big human mistakes. but whatever, everyone can have their own opinion, im not gonna critisize ppl who like bella, im just saying that i dont.
over a year ago shortynme said…
I agree FloatingMuffins. I like Bella. No more of this "but she hurt Edward/Jacob"! Let's think for a moment: Edward LEFT her! He hurt her too, but do we hate him, NO!!!! Jacob wouldn't let up when she asked him too, she broke her hand because he kissed her without permission, and he manipulated her into kissing him at the end, but do we hate him. . . well does EVERYONE hate him, NO!(lol) Bella is a great character. She tries hard to please everyone, she doesn't want to hurt anyone, which is why it's so hard for her to choose. Have any of you ever been in love with 2 people at once? If you haven't then you can't possibly understand how horrible and hard it is. I have been in love with two people at once, they were completely different and sometimes I wished they were just mixed together in one man so I could have what I liked about both. But guess what, I had to choose, and I hurt the one I didn't choose. That's how life is. Stephenie wrote about a real person having real problems with amazing people. That's why I like Bella. She's surrownded by amazing mystical people and she still manages to mean something to all of them, even though she, as a human, should be just a breeze through their hair. GO BELLA!!!!!!!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Rawr-Hunnie said…
Well, i think that people like Bella because she's the main character, and she tells everything she thinks, and the way it's written makes you like her more, like in Midnight Sun, i've taken a rather good liking to Edward because it's from his point of veiw, you could just say the same for any of the characters. It is so argumentative.

I personally think Bella isn't the best character in the book,but for good reasons,one of them is that after you've read the books a couple of times you sort of get bored of her, but if she changed even a little bit then the book wouldn't be the same. My opinion (:
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago cheergeek said…
I don't like Bella. And not for just the obvious reason of, 'oh well, she hurts everyone' (which is true) But I really don't like her. If she was a real person standing in front of me, I probably wouldn't like her. I don't really like the way she thinks.
And that could maybe be a reason why some people don't like her either, is that we always have to see what she thinks and her annoyingness shows up more in her thoughts.

Also- even though she IS the most flawed character, that doesn't mean that any of the OTHER characters arn't flawed. (yes I mean Edward) Because of Bella we only see things in one view.
over a year ago jacob4ever57 said…
bella is super annoying!!!!! i cam't stand her!!! she thinks she doesn't deserve edward (which she doesnt but she doesn't have 2 say that every waking momen!) she is way too clumsy and u know how every main charecter(sp?) has a cool power?!?! well wats bella's?? being clumsy??!!? it really ticks me and my friends off!!!!!