Twilight Series Twilight is extremely poorly written

VelvetLiquor posted on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:21AM
Quite possibly the most poorly written novel I have ever had the misfortune to read. The characters are disgustingly one dimensional, it's filled to the brim with obnoxious purple prose, and there are countless plot holes littering its pages. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The novel displays women as empty vessels who are pitiful and completely useless without a man to make their decisions for them, yet Bella is proclaimed an uplifting character with heroic qualities, when in reality, she's nothing more than a blatant self-insert Mary Sue. Bella and Edward are not in love. Love is very different from a little thing called lust, which is what so many teenagers mistake for real love.

I find it horribly sad that people actually prefer to read this mindless drivel about a middle-aged woman's wet dream. I find it even more sad when they try to say that it's well written.

Twilight Series 10 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago VelvetLiquor said…
Let's start with the many facts that lead to Bella merely being a horribly written self-insert of Stephenie Meyer, shall we? :)

1) Wide forehead with widow's peak:
Bella has one, Steph has one.

2) Pale skin, brown eyes, and brown hair:
The two share this trait as well.

3) Heart shaped face, pointed chin, and lips too full for jawline:
Oh, that's funny. They have that in common too.

4) Not at all muscular:
Have you SEEN SMeyer? She hasn't exactly been hitting the gym lately.

5) Mormon faith:
To be honest, I'm not sure if Bella is Mormon or not, but seeing as how she used a Mormon tradition to name her demon offspring, I'm going to assume she is. See the pattern here?
over a year ago Bandgeek_XP said…
Haha I'm glad you are one of the few that knows the truth! :)
over a year ago edwardcarlisle said…
rainy
You know? The idea of SM is to be herself Bella in the novel and Edward is SM's perfect man...I don't know, this was only for extra information...
Honestly, I'm quite surprised that I haven't been flamed by angry little teenage girls for this topic.
xD
As for Edward being an emotionally abusive stalker, there's already a very informative article on that in a different topic, so there's no need to get into that here.
over a year ago edwardcarlisle said…
wink
Yeah, I think people are now more compressive. I don't really like to fight and say offensive comments, I think is good that people express they're point of view ;)
over a year ago JoseVanders said…
I dont agree with everything you say, but as much as I love twilight, im not afraid to say that I know it isnt written amazingly and its hardly a classic. Dont worry about people getting angry, most of us are quite reasonable lol. Im not so naive to say OMGZZZ ITZZZ THE BESTEST BOOK EVAAAA, lmao.
Yes, but ignorant little fan girls cussing me out for having an opinion would provide much lulz.
over a year ago Jessie_Cullen said…
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and of course the books aren't perfect, Sm's only human, and people shouldn't claim that the books are. However, I'd appreciate you to not class all the fans the same, because of course there are ignorant little fan girls, but there are also people who liked the book, believe it isn't perfect and will agree with you to an extent. Otherwise very interesting... =]
over a year ago trailofexcuses said…
This is great, you actually inspired me to write something myself.
link