Twilight Series 2 Questions For Fans From A Guy

bendaimmortal posted on Aug 05, 2009 at 08:55PM
I have read the first half of the first book and seen the entire film. And that's quite enough for me to be sure how I feel anout it.
So I'm not going to read the rest for any reason but I am sincerely interested in 2 things when it comes to you fans's point of view.

I know almost the entire fanbase think the whole world should worship the books, in other words, first read them and then worship. But one of life's facts are that generally guys and girls are interested in and fascinated by very different things.

BEFORE YOU ANSWER - READ THIS WHOLE MESSAGE THROUGH WITH THOUGHT AND CONSIDER THE INFORMATION IN YOUR REPLY. THANK YOU.

So tell me - as guys are a part of the whole world; Why should a guy read Twilight and even more importantly - why should he like it? What elements / details in it might appeal to him?

X Suppose the romance element doesn't appeal to him as he's just not that romantic guy.
X Nor the vampires as they are too drastically different from the traditional vampires, which he's loved all his life and he's just not liking such an extreme change.
X And he's sexual orientation is staright, so he doesn't care if Edward is hot or anyone else of the male characters.

So what else? What is left for a guy like this to enjoy in the book?

EXTRA QUESTION:
1. Do you support a human's right to have a differing opinion and their freedom to speak their opinion and what would you reply if I told you I hate Twilight and gave my (possibly valid) reasons for it?
last edited on Aug 05, 2009 at 08:59PM

Twilight Series 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago mayra7632000 said…
smile
ok..well first i have to say that was WAY more than two questions..haha jk

but as a fan i honestly don't think people should worship the books...i mean the books are pretty good in MY opinion but i mean they're not that great to the point where it needs to be worshipped..im kind of a realistic person..and i think most girls like these books because its a romance and most girls cannot resist a romance..and really it just depends on your opinion..if those three things that you mentioned above don't exaclty appeal to you..then i guess this isn't the book for you..it really depends on what YOU're interested in...and so you might hate twilight...no biggie..twilight not really you're thing its cool...and some books i guess just attract one specific gender than the other well i think....im not sure if i helped or answered you're questions..but hope this kind helped
over a year ago bendaimmortal said…
You helped by simply answering anythng. As said, I am not going to read it even if someone does manage to point out a valid point for guys generally to possibly read it since I have those three reasons not to be interested. So I am marely interested in what all of you think about the topic I raised, in general. And of course how many of you here are even interested in thinking so much. The impression I have on majority of Twilight fans is that they worship the books...or Edward. So whereas I appreciate any fans opinion, including yours, those questions are primarily yatheyyed to those obsessive ones.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago mandapanda said…
The twilight fanbase is made up of mostly female, I agree, and alot of them either "like" the books because of the physical appeal of the characters.

But even as a fan of the books, I don't worship them. But I do find some cons in the series. They aren't the best written books, but they tell a story, and they're progressive in each book, and everything builds on top of each other. It's very light when you read it, but when you dig deeper under all the layers, you can find some pretty interesting things. (That sounded really corny, lol) Life lessons, characteristics you'd like to possess, etc.

And for guys to read Twilight, well, it just depends on your taste really. Most of the guys I know, hate reading so, it's out of the question.

I like them because the characters are somewhat relatable. Maybe not to the extent that Stephenie Meyer writes them, but to some degree. Of course it's easier for females to relate since the books are written from Bella's perspective. (Btw, I would like to point out, that not all 17 year old girls are quite as infactuated with a guy, like Bella was with Edward.)

I also like the relationships that Bella establishes with her friends and how her loved ones push her and that she's willing to do anything for them. That's a strong and bold characteristic.

As a huge movie loving maniac, I follow productions of movies, and the twilight movies, I'm sure, guys will like more than the books. Lol The studio tends to add more to the movies so it will appeal to all people and not just the fans of the books. I think the audience for New Moon and Eclipse will be happy. There's some violent stuff in store. Just a heads up.

And, so you hate twilight? no big deal. There's alot of haters. I can deal. I particularly hate the fans that only like the books because of the guys. I'll be honest. And you were very respectful about your "strong dislike" of Twilight. So I thank you. Usually when haters come to the Twilight spot, they just ramble, but you actually had legitimate reasons.

And I'm not sure if I answered your question, lol. But I tried :)
Thank you, mandapanda.

Hm. Did I dream or something 'cause I think I just saw my e-mail box have at least 5 or 6 notifications on replies to this topic but now that I came here - there's only one (since I last posted myself.) :O
maybe people deleted their comments?
Probably. It just seemed weird if so many replied and ALL of them decided to delete their comments. (:
Maybe because you were just so intimidating ;)
Intimidating? At what point? Well I certainly didn't mean to be. :D
I'm just really surprised you didn't get chewed out. Honestly, I thought people would yell at you. lol
over a year ago belle_fille said…
smile
I'm personally an anti-fan. I don't like the books, and I think that the books attract more females because they think they can relate to the characters, such as being in "love" like Isabella is, but Bella and Edward fell in love like this:
Edward: "god, she smells good. i am gonna fall in love with her"
Bella: "Ooh, he is a sexy beast, I'm gonna beg him to have sex with me. He is beautiful"

Maybe it's just physical attraction? Great topic!
mandapanda,

I thought that too. Partly kinda testing if they would but mostly hopingto hear if they actually could instead state some actual reasons/answers to my questions. :D I guess not then, at least so far.

belle_fille,

Hahhaa. You put their "love" story perfectly in two sentences. :D
A little off-topic, check my "Lestat & Jesse VS. Twilight" article at the "Twilight VS. The Vampire Lestat" spot. It lampoos there's something even worse than Edward & Bella's story. :D
There's supposed to be 11 replies yet this isn't showing even one of them. :O

EDIT. Ok, now it is.
over a year ago ashesandwine said…
I know that for a guy it's difficult to like Twilight!
It has more appeal to girls then guys...
But if you get interested in the action part of the books maybe you will like it! This is just a thought!
There are lots of fans that only like Twilight because of the movie and as such because of the actors! If you follow that path you can like the actresses, I guess:P LOL
If not follow my first opinion and think about the action... In terms of James trying to get Bella, Edward going to Volterra, Victoria and the newborns and last: the "almost" fight in Breaking Dawn!
That is my response to why should a guy like Twilight!
Now... you are not forced to like Twilight! I know many fans... (crazy fans in my opinion) say that if you don't like Twilight you are a stupid son of a b****!
I'm sorry for the language, but that's the truth when it comes to some fans! A person that doesn't like Twilight is immediatly shoot at:P
But honestly... You don't have to like Twilight!
There are many good books (better ones even) out there, just waiting for people to find out about them!
I like Twilight. It's really cool, it has romance, action, and lots of other cool stuff! But honestly, it's far away from being my favourite book, and I don't really force other people to read it or like it!
Don't follow what other people say! Follow your own taste and enjoy reading the type of book that you like:)

Hope I helped...
Ashes:)
kiss
Ohhhhh... I would like to add:
Just like mandapanda said - Thank for putting your question in a why not to offend the Twilight lovers! There are many people that come here and start to say the most awful things about it!
I believe that everyone should have their opinion and if you don't like Twilight it's perfectly all right, but if you want to say that you don't like it, please putt it in a way like bendaimmortal did:)
Thank you!
Ohhh: I hope I helped you with your questions:)

Yes, thank you. Of course whatever action there is in the books, might make it somewhat entertaining but for me, personally, no. I love action but in Twilight (serie) it seems to have been done in too unoriginal way and at least the first book really seems to be 95% non-action and the story dragged anyway, which was another reason why I couldn't read it through. It didn't hold my attention in any way.

In the movie, I thought this James was the only potentially interesting character. I'm quite sure though that the great actor had a great deal to do with it. So it was annoying how soon he disappeared and we never even got to know whatever happened to him.
Yes, the action isn't that much! Action, action, maybe just in Eclipse because of the newborn fight... Other then that not much!
I see what you mean! I really liked James too! And it's too bad that such an interesting character dies so soon! But it's like in the book that part!
James doesn't stay very long on the book either! It's just the baseball scene and the consequences of that scene...
For me the movie isn't as good as the book, but I'm a girl and although I like almost all types of books, romance is always more atracting to girls! So, one of the reasons that I like Twilight is because of the romance!
But you see, my favourite character is Jasper, and if you read Eclipse (not telling you too:P) you would see that he is one of the most misterious characters on the book. Mostly because of his past and because of how hard he is trying to leave that past behind!
Twilight may be a book more directed for girls, full of romance but there are some parts that have a appeal to both genders!
But, you know... Twilight has lost, for me, much of it's charm! Mostly because of everything that revolves around it!
I'm not just saying the fans, because here in Portugal there isn't all that crazyness of fan girls! But mostly because of the publicity around it!
I admit that it is a good book, not in terms of how it's writen but in terms of the story itself and how people (mostly girls) can relate to it:) But if I was forced to choose between lets say: Shakeaspere and Stephanie Meyer, I would go with Shakeaspere! And many other authors:)

I see how it's hard for a guy to like Twilight, although there are some that like it:) But if I were you, I would stick with better books and books that were more my style:)

Yes, I already stated in the original post that I am not going to read the rest for any reason, as I have decided it doesn't interest me enough. I just wish to discuss this topic in general.