Twilight Series Okay seriously what is the deal...

JoseVanders posted on Jun 23, 2009 at 02:42PM

I dont want to be one of those people who just posts big rants or whatever but something is seriously annoying me and another user, called Nahla1309.

Its to do with links, and people rating them.
I understand if people dont like your link that much, but if it has been generally rated well and then someone goes and chooses 1 star or 2, it lowers the rating for your link, and we dont really understand why people want to do that.

Maybe if your link is offensive or something, but I know that I, and Nahla too, always rate links 5 star. Im not saying everyone should just rate everything 5 star, but why be malicious and try and make someone do badly?

Surely everyone on fanpop wants to get a higher medal on spots that they are big fans of, and shouldnt we try and help each other by recognising that someone has bothered to post something? Im not just talking about links but with pictures and articles and everything else too.

If you rate peoples stuff well, in turn your stuff will be rated well too, because if someones stuff is well received they will be grateful and want to rewards others in return.

I just think its mean and kind of immature, its just not being nice for no real reason :(

Twilight Series 25 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago monique2993 said…
If people aren't allowed to choose what rating they want to give a link, what is the point of rating at all? I find the ratings helpful as I have clicked on links and found myself on totally pointless and/or monotonous sites. The ratings, for me, help me see clearly what links to avoid and so if people rate everything 4 or 5, then I'll spend most of my time looking at sites that are tedious.

I don't mean to sound mean but the rating system is there for a reason!=D
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Nahla1309 said…
ugh... i stand behind jose's opinion.. we're not saying that ppl shouldn't rate thing's with 1 or 2 stars.. the thing is some of them do that on purpose.. i posted probably 7 great links today! all fresh stuff and someone just coldly rated them with 1...
and i just want to know why.. if you rate sth badly than write why did you do that.. what's wrong with that item that you rated it so low..
over a year ago JoseVanders said…
No I know what youre saying monique, its just that if 4 or 5 people have rated a link highly and then all of sudden it goes down cos 1 person has rated it soo low, it doesnt really make sense.
over a year ago ESME_LIBRA17 said…
big smile
yes, I agree, Sometimes I upload videos, photos or good things that I haven't seen in this spot just to share them with other fans and I think that someboday with bad Manners and with other itentions rate low just, as monique says, to don't see the article, pic, or other thing. I really hate that, and I do the same I just rate things that I really like with 5 stars, and almost always I make a comment, and yes I have rated with 1 or 2 stars but just like 2 or 3 things but because the articles or video are so disgustings... But any way, the good things of all of this is that somebody fells envy to u =) 'cause you're better than them =) jaja
over a year ago monique2993 said…
I understand that and I know some people do that on purpose. I usually rate things 4 or 5 anyway but some people are just nasty!=D
I know its not nice, thanks for reading this and understanding:)
we're fighting against those ppl... they feel brave cause it doesn't say who is the person or persons who rated that item.. if it said, no one (except persons who stand behind their actions) would rate sth with 1 or 2...
Yeah if it showed who it was they wouldnt rate badly for no reason. I have no problem if people dont like something, but I'd rather they tell us instead of just being sneaky about it.
over a year ago Brysis said…
tongue
I completely agree with you!!! normally i always rate stuff with 4 or 5 stars cause the fellow fanpopper diserve it just for the bother off posting the link/pic/article whatever in the spot!!
It´s immature to rate things with 1 or 2 stars cause it seems that the person is trying to ruin other person´s work in the spot!!
that´s very mean
over a year ago melandjim4eva said…
smile
I always rate thing's with a 5, because i just think to myself that it's not fair on the people who have worked really hard to upload thing's and then people mark them low. :) If anyone ever want's me to rate anything then please let me know as i really do not mind doing this especially if it helps :)
over a year ago Edward_Bella234 said…
I rate links with what I think they deserve. I'm sorry but if I'm on a site that I don't find interesting and I don't like, I'm not going to give it a 5. I won't just randomly rate something a 1 because I just want to, but I will rate something a 1 if it deserves it. I understand how you can be fruesterated with people who just randomly rate things badly. I understand the effort people put in to post stuff and I have only rated something a 1 star once and it was a link to a hate website. Yeah, that wasn't very nice but I don't like it when people do stuff like that. But usually, the lowest i'll ever rate something is a 3.
well all ratings mean sth.. we don't say that ppl should stop using 1 and 2 rate stars, if you think that that item deserves that kind of rate, then rate it, but not go around and rate everything you see with 1 (like someone did today with dozen posted links)...
over a year ago Edward_Bella234 said…
oh yeah. I agree with that 100%. People shouldn't do that!
Yay :)
well i really hope that ppl will start thinking about what are they doing..
over a year ago HerMelody said…
I always rate highly, because of the work they put into it - especially if they made it themselves. I understand that a lot of people rate what they think its worth, but for me, things don't have to be amazing and really well done to get a 5 star... even simple things can be good, not everyone is skilled and so I like to rate things evenly. All things are good. If they're particularly good, I'll comment saying so.
But that's just me.
Somebody might think that something is only worth a 2 star, which is a shame. Low ratings might lower a person's confidence in their work. I don't think there is anything on the spots that deserve a low rating.
I think, if you're not going to rate nicely, maybe don't rate at all. Only rate things you like and want to rate high.
over a year ago AliceHaleCullen said…
I agree with you JoseVanders!

I always rate your links 5 stars because it's good content, and I find it tends to go down rather quickly even though it's interesting! I don't have the problem with people rating my stuff down, but sometimes fanpop does seem like a popularity contest.

If people don't like the link, fair enough, but if it's a good link with interesting material and it gets rated down, it's pretty obviously people are just being harsh.
over a year ago sasie_katje88 said…
angelic
i don't really care actually, i practically always rate high, the lowest i gave someone was a 3 and that only happened maybe twice but otherwise always 5's because they put there work into something. But it's still your own opinion to rate :-)
Sorry if this offence someone, i didn't mean too
we seemed to have stopped this thing for a week or so.. and then suddenly some1 started doing this again... AliceHaleCullen and i both noticed that, since our brand new posted links (that weren't repeated) were baldy rated, and i'm talking about 7/8 links in a row...
alicehalecullen wrote an article about it, and you can read it here: link

i can't say how much i'm disappointed with this situation..
over a year ago patriautism said…
i give people 5 for effort..unless it's a virus, or something else messed up.
nope..it's no virus.. i'd be much more happier if it was...
over a year ago HerMelody said…
I've noticed a lot of recently poorly rated links... I think it's wrong, they shouldn't be rated so low at all
well sadly we can't do anything about it =( some ppl are just mean...
Is it still as bad? I havent posted a link in ages tbh.
over a year ago ESME_LIBRA17 said…
angry
today, I uploaded a link "thing that I don't use to do (I work just with images)" and in five minutes after somebody give 1 star (that means that my link was garbage)and I don't think that he or she really read it, I felt so bad 'cause I really liked that article but anyway, I don't care anymore, and I think that this's just happening with the links (and sometimes with videos too), I don't use to read the links but I have seen since few days ago that somebody is rating them very low, so the next I do it's try to inclease the rating of that links, but I can't save all of them 'cause I don't have many time to do it. but I feel bad for all this ppl 'cause I know that you have been wasting time to find good articles to share them and other (ugly, horrible, disgusting,.... etc...) person do that kind of things against twilight fans.