Twilight Series Stephen King: "Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn"

aanniiee_ posted on Feb 04, 2009 at 01:04AM
In a recent interview with USA Weekend, Stephen King blasted Meyer and the Twilight Series - when comparing Meyer and J.K. Rowling, King said, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

He goes on in further detail...

Yahoo link: link

USA Weekend link: link

Opinions??
last edited on Feb 04, 2009 at 01:07AM

Twilight Series 27 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago EverybodyLies said…
I completely and totally agree. :D
over a year ago metalnaunx said…
sad
Really?Dont tell the twilight fans , they mite get mad. Most evryone loves Stephine Meyer
over a year ago r-pattz said…
yeah i know my mom showed me that like 2 monthes ago. (she loves king) and i wasnt exactly mad. he just... isnt a SM style writer. you dont have to like everything you read
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Lunatic said…
I agree as well.

Stephenie is a nice person, and I'll always love Twilight in a way, but her books do suck (pun not intended).

Just because I think her writing is lacking does not mean that I don't like her. And I don't care what Twilighters or anyone else thinks of me.
why're you on this spot?
over a year ago metalnaunx said…
meh
Uh, i like twilight mostly but she may hav done a few mistakes...evry writer does...mostly
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
The way she writes sucks everyone in but I kind of agree too.
And there's no point biting back and saying "no STEPHEN'S a bad writer!" when he's written 40 novels.
I like Twilight, but I agree.
over a year ago jalicefan15 said…
I have the oposite opinion of king I think stephanie is a great writer but I don't like JK Rowlings books
stephen king is an awesome writer, too. him and SM just have different styles of writing. actually, i like the way king writes a lot more than SM's way, but i like twilight loads more.
over a year ago aanniiee_ said…
Yeah, I definitely think a distinction needs to be made between whether you like a book, or whether you like the writing style, and whether the book/writing style is good/bad. I love Twilight, and I personally think Meyer is a good writer. I also think, though, that J.K. Rowling is a muchh better writer
over a year ago labi-has-ocd said…
i like both the book and stephenie meyers writing style !! its just appeals to me ! but not everyne has the same opinion obvioulsy
same as aanniiee, i think Rowling is a better writer by a long shot.
over a year ago helopeeps8 said…
i didn't really like any of the harry potter bookss i think they could have had more detale put into it so i think stephine meyer is a better writer than J.k rowling
over a year ago obsessedwithmd said…
smile
i adore king's writing and i also live stephenie's but for two totally different reasons. he is a creepy disturbing horror writer while she writes vampire love stories and other scfi type things. i respect his opinion but, i absolutely love her writing. it's a matter of opinion.
over a year ago kelseyrox97 said…
angry
r u kidding me?? those stupid harry potter books are SOOO not better than the twilight series!!!!
yeah they are!
over a year ago MimS_ said…
his opinion is more professional then mine, but still i don't think that the author who charmed so many people with her novels would be a bad writer. it's just not right. as for me, Stephenie enchanted me so much, that i can't think right now of a book that made me feel the way Twilight did.

P.S. sorry for the bad grammar, english is not my native language.
over a year ago HerMelody said…
Stephen King is a literary genius, there's no doubt about that. But not everything has to be written his way. Stephenie Meyer wrote the Twilight series her way, and I really don't think her writing could have been so terrible, otherwise I can't see it being published. I've compared her writing to many other young adult books since reading all the opinions that she can't write, and I really don't see much of a difference. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people cannot write AT ALL, they don't even know how to begin writing something like a novel, they have absolutely no idea how to structure sentences - I remember people in my English class who were 100% clueless and hated the subject, and lots of people seem to have a phobia of reading a book let alone writing one. With all that in mind, I think Stephenie must have some talent.
kelseyrox, we did a really good job at keeping any immature "which is better, harry potter or twilight" drama out of this post, and then you had to go and say something. if you don't have any thing of substance to add to this discussion, then just don't say anything at all, mmkay?

as to HerMelody, I agree with your whole post, and Stephenie Meyer definitely has talent. Some people just have a natural born talent for writing
over a year ago jacob4ever57 said…
Eh SM Is ok i guess. But seriously No offense to harry potter fans but i hate JK Rowling or however you spell it ya know?
over a year ago patriautism said…
Honestly she isn't even in his, or J.K. Rowling's writing league.
What she does prove is that you don't have to be a fantastic writer to create a wildly entertaining story.

You just need imagination.
over a year ago twilight4ever97 said…
monkey
ummm, tell me if im wrong, but isnt this supposed to be a FAN OF TWILIGHT website? you guys are just being mean. stephenie meyer is trying to encourage people to do what they like and not care about what other people think.

so why are you picking on her? she wrote an awesome series.
if you were stephenie and you saw this how would it make you feel?

you have your opinions, and i have mine.

dont post stuff like this on the internet and expect other people to sign a petitition saying that stephenie isnit a good writer.
we're not 'picking on her' and no one (that i am aware of) has a petition of any sort
over a year ago lovethecullens said…
I actually lost a little bit of respect for Stephen King when I read this article. If he doesn't like Stepehenie Meyer's work that is fine everyone is entitled to their opinion. I admit he is a good writer but who is he to judge her? Obviously she can write pretty well otherwise she wouldn't have bestsellers! I was disappointed in his comments and thought that they were immature for someone I actually used to have some respect for as I am an aspiring writer.
uhmmmm twlight4ever, can you point out to me where I asked anyone to sign a petition? Don't be an idiot. If you look at my original post, I asked for "opinions." So yeah, you have yours and everyone else has theirs. And they're posting them here. It's nothing personal against Stephenie Meyer - we're discussing her writing. You don't like it? I couldn't care less
aanniiee_:

i LOVE stephenie meyers writing, but i think that its kinda mean how some people, (im not saying its you) are like, :stepenie meyer is a horrible writer and jk rowling is better than her."
i have nothing against harry potter or any other books, but the writers all have a different style. twilight is stephenies.
r-pattz:

well, bellasmells (not that i have any thing against them) had a sort of petitition against kristen stewart.