Twilight Series Breaking Dawn- What did you think of it??? (SPOILERS)

layla_14 posted on Aug 02, 2008 at 11:21AM
Hey, for all of the lucky ones who already got the book, what did you think of it?

I'm dying to know what you thought of it, or what you thought of it so far.

Did you like it Yes or No???

SPOILERS MAYBE IN THE COMMENTS.

I'm hearing that a lot of people hated the book!
and I also heard from some people who have already read the book, that there is Jacob's book and that it is really good.
last edited on Aug 02, 2008 at 11:29AM

Twilight Series 27 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago edwardluvr23 said…
ive spent all day reading this book and i am completely disappointed! the first book from bella's perspective was good with the wedding and the honeymoon, but then it got weird. i really think that the weird half human half vampire child ruined the entire plot of this book. it seemed unnecessary and ridiculous. the fans want to see bella and edward together forever, not with a kid! lol i think sm (stephanie meyers) didn't do a great job on this. the other 3 books are amazing and the characters connect with the readers, while in this book they don't. oh well! still love the series and am excited for midnight sun!
over a year ago callstories said…
I'm feeling the same way. I'm not done yet but I've skipped ahead a bit. I don't want to read about Jacob. I wouldn't just skip it totally but I don't want to miss anything. I don't like the baby twist. It's lame. Don't get me wrong. I love babies! I have my own. But this is different. Vampire-human baby. Lame.
over a year ago bethbeach008 said…
I absolutely agree. the whole story read like fan fiction. it was cute, but not how i wanted my beloved Bella and edward's story to go. I enjoyed Jacob's perspective a bit, he was quite funny. I feel like we never got a conclusion to Bella's and Edward's story, it was Bella Edward and Renesmee's ending. (Lame-o name by the way!). However, i didn't HATE this book, i just feel like it lacked the closure i wanted to feel at the end of Breaking Dawn.

[EDIT] i had so many thoughts, i wrote an article. check it out link and post what YOU think.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago irreverent said…
"the whole story read like fan fiction."

Completely in agreeance with you on that--I got to read the book early and all I would tell people after reading it was, "Imagine a Twilight fanfic-- only on crack!" because that really was the only way I could sum it up. I'm not quite disappointed with it- more like jarred, and surprised. I also had hoped for some closure to Bella and Edward's story (then again, since they're immortal, that might be a heck of a long conclusion, huh? ;) ) I also wanted some closure to Jacob and Renesmee's story, as in, the future conclusion-- however weird the situation, I found the whole werewolf/shape shifter-imprints-on-half-vamp thing very intriguing. Hopefully that will be covered in future books; I would feel kind of ripped-off by Meyer (however much I love her work) otherwise- talk about loose ends, no?

[EDIT] One more thing...

Overall, I'll stand against the critics and admit that I loved the book, and I agree with jupiterfaerie's post below- it did make sense, and I think SM did the best job possible in wrapping up a story with so many opinionated fans to please!

over a year ago jupiterfaerie said…
Don't skip around on the book - sit back and enjoy the journey - it's worth it.

I LOVED it! So unexpected, but then it makes so much sense ... but then I'm the same age as Stephenie, so maybe it's an adult thing.
over a year ago twilighter6694 said…
I thought it was amazing
i didn't like Jacob at all before but after I read book 2 from his perspective and i really started to like him
Also i liked getting to know more about Seth
over a year ago sweetlissa2006 said…
yeah, I was really taken off guard by the whole baby issue, and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Then I read book 3, and I really started liking the book. NO, it might not be the perfect ending I thought of for Bella and Edward, but I liked it. And I liked that Jacob got a happy ending too.
over a year ago layla_14 said…
oh man you lot are so lucky! I really want to read this book to see whats really wrong with it! all I really care is that Jacob gets a happy ending! I wish today would go so fast!!!!
over a year ago officefreak1225 said…
I was so excited to read this book. I was first in my line to get the book at BN and was jumping up and down. So when my friend and I got home I started reading. At first I did don't like this book, I was not a fan of the whole baby thing. My friend and I were sitting in the same room and where like "what is going on" But I kept reading knowing SM is the on e writer that could make my like this in the end. So some where in the Jacob book, I'm not sure when it was, I started thinking "Omg, what's going to happen." My friend was a few chapters behind me (luck for me I am a very fast reader) so I didn't say anything about starting to like it yet. Then I got to the second Bella book and I could not put it down. Before my friend was done with Jacob's book she told me "At least I'm interested now." Then I told her to wait in till she got to the last Bella book. Then when laughed that this book we didn't like at first we were falling in love with. By the end I loved that baby and the whole book. The book was a roller coaster of emotion and near the end I cried (which is a big sign of a great book for me). When I got to end I understood why SM did want she did and I loved her for it.

over a year ago burnedivory said…
I read some of the spoilers because people were freaking out a bit.. I honestly think that helped.. I had time to get to like the idea of bella having a daughter.. it saved edward from feeling like he was stealing her life because she was going to die.. Also, it gave bella what she was afraid she would lose when she let go of jacob... a family... I hate the name too.. i think it is by far one of the worst names I've heard but I like the idea behind it.. Her family is the most important thing to her- thats what matters now.. and the entire family of the cullens gets a daughter/niece that they can care about- and it helps us see another side of Rose. Also, It makes jacobs obsession with Bella make sense.. and since human memories fade only edward will be left with the awkwardness of jacobs love for bella.. Which I thought would disturb me.. it really doesnt.. Overall It was not what I was expecting but it worked and it set up the plots for the next coming books if she really wanted to continue from another pov. thats why the story isn't completely wrapped up- so she can keep going...
over a year ago spezlee said…
I did like it. I am still thinking that it would be biologically impossible for the two of them to have a baby, but I guess we've accepted much different from SM before! So, that aside, I actually got used to Nessie, I like a lot of the new vampires introduced (SEQUEL!!), and enjoyed myself reading it. I want MORE!
over a year ago sammymill33 said…
I liked the book because it was closure on all accounts. I think she gave everyone what they wanted. Edward and Bella are together and now with her having a child she has nothing to regret later about becoming a vampire. Team Jacob gets the best outcome that they could because he gets a little mini Bella. I wish there would have been moe Bella and Edward romance because that is why I love the books but other than that she did amazing.
over a year ago duttlej311 said…
well i really loved it!i mean at the beggining yeah i wasnt too happy about pregnant thing but after when it went back to bellas POV i understood better and i ended up rly rly liking nessie...i mean how could you not.most of the times i was a little confused about what was happening but i still coudntt put it down halfway threw the book.i didnt rly like that alice wasnt rly there to much but oh well but bella got her happy ending with edward and even jacob got his so all in all I LOVED IT!
over a year ago tubby2002 said…
I liked the book, but it is hard to say whether or not it is my favorite. I was just so different that I really can't compare it to the others. I found Jacob's book very interesting and I am glad it was in there. I couldn't imagine that whole section being in Bella's point of view, it would have been a little boring, and this way we got to know more about Jacob.

I couldn't believe that Bella got pregnant. That is the one thing that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. I just thought that Edward couldn't have babies. I was a little surprised that Jacob imprinted on the baby. I kinda seen it coming though right after the baby was born cuz it kept saying that he wouldn't look at her, just from that I knew something was up (otherwise stephenie meyer wouldn't have made the point to tell us Jacob wouldn't look in Nessie's eyes).
I just couldn't believe that Alice took off the way she did. I knew that there had to be a good reason but I still couldn't believe it.

Stephenie Meyer said that Breaking Dawn was going to be the end of Bella and Edward's story but I hope she continues. I would like to see her go on with Jacob and Nessie. I would definitely read that book. I would like to see Jake have some competition with the other half vamp (sorry, I can't remember his name).

I don't know. I think it was a good book but it was very different from the rest so, like I said before, I can't really compare it to the rest of the series.
over a year ago marleytaylor said…
I loved this book..it was the perfect ending. For all those who hated it..guess you weren't really fans. I love the detail that was in every character and how she seemed to make everyone happy in their story. Bella had to have a baby so someone would have a new story to tell..this means that more is coming..can't wait!!!
over a year ago frenchie0323 said…
this book was beyond amazing! she closed it perfectly. i did not like Jacob or Rosalie before and now I like them. Bella and Edward are perfect with Renesmee :). Bella's powers are great! it was an overall great book!
over a year ago HisTypeOfHeroin said…
At first the book until the action took place toward the end. I admit I was spoiled a little. I knew that Bella had a baby and that she imprtinted on Jacob from reading boards that I knew I should not have but just could not wait until I got my book so I read them anyway. Then when I got to Jacob's book I was pissed because I really did not like Jacob (but I do now). At the time I did not want his few point on things. I thought that I messed everything up for myself until it got to the action. I did not know what would happen and who might die. Then when Bella was saying goodbye to Nessie and Edward saying his goodbyes to both of them (at the time thinking that they would die) tears filled my eyes. Only two books have done that to me and this is one of them. Then when Edward was talking to Aro about knowing how Nessie would turn out I knew that Edward knew Alice was back and I was so excited. Plus SM left room to write more books telling Nessie's and Jacob's story. So that means more in the furture.
over a year ago luvrofedward said…
i thought it was super good. stephenie meyer always has you on her toes with her writing and seriously this book was INSANE! i was extremely dissapointed at first to find out that the whole book would not be in Bellas POV, because I was so used to her, but when i started reading more and how Meyer switched off and on with Bella and Jacob, i thought that was an amazing addition to the book.
I agree with HisTypeOfHeroin with how i totally was angry with jacob in the last book for leaving all mad but i was so happy when meyer brought him back during the reception at the wedding. it was realy interesting that bella had a baby and it seemed really gorey for meyers previous books when she was giving birth to Renesmee(sp?) it kind of creeped me out but everything in this book was completely unexpected which kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time.
I LOVED IT!
over a year ago Small_Town_Gal said…
I loved it. I was kinda mad at the thought that Bella might die because she was pregnat, but I got over that when she lived (kinda). My only problem was that I wished that SM would have seperated the parts. I mean Bella being pregnat was hard enough to take, but to go and add that she might be killed in the same book not long after. Either way she did a good job ending the story. I love Bella's power. I was guessing not long ago and was close to what it was. Anyway. Great Book. I have no idea how I'm going to read anything else now.
over a year ago 21738001988120 said…
i loved it. so i guess this is a positive reply. i started reading it and all i could think was duh this was going to happen i expected some type of twist and i didnt get it until the pregnant thing i had thought before yeah maybe she gets pregnant and all that and thats what happened and then i found out i loved it i didnt know how it was going to be at all but it had me hooked and worried then i cried because of what edward thought about the baby. but i loved seeing this motherly side bella everytime i saw her being motherly i couldnt help but smile it seemed to completel bella. its not like bella and edward were going to be happy through the whole book what would be the point of that that would be a lame book. the baby is not lame in my opinion the name took some getting used to but i like the meaning behind it and it fits her wierd and unusual. i know some people are ticked off about the jcob pov but have you thought about reading all that from bellas pov and how depressing and all that would be reading pain after pain after pain. then if we read it in edwards pov then we would be reading worry after worry after worry from jacob at least we get to see the practical side of things with a lil bit of arrogance pride stupidity and humor. i never hated jacob but i never liked him but now i liked him that i got to read a bit of his mind. the book definitely was a stressful book for me to read and it kept me guessing i liked that im glad bella and edward have something to love like renesmee it made a family. one more note even if it was like fanfiction it made a great story in the end. what else could she really put other than what we would try to imagine but to use the story in such a way to move us and keep us guessing and twisting everything it was great i really liked it.
i guess i have another note. about the end i honestly dont know what you guys are expecting but the ending did have closure we cant keep seeing there lives. it was at an end no more to go actually its just no more than we get to see. let bella and edward have their privacy.
over a year ago fearishowifall said…
it was not exactly expect but think about, what was there left to deal with, what else was a threat to bella and edward that hadn't already taken care of besid e the volturi- who had no real reason to show up at all. the only thing left was the very relationship those two had. it was the only thing left that actually threatened each others lives and so what would make that threat bigger. i should have seen the whole pregnant thing coming. the only thing that really bugged me was the happy ending where evryone got exactly what they wanted. bella has edward and jacob and jacob has the babby and everyone is all happy hapy joy joy. i needed some sort of loss, to cry and say wow this was great but it was just to happy for me to feel anything like tears, i dont know.
over a year ago lamesims said…
lol a lot of people hated the book as much as the amount of people who actually liked the book...
i must admit it was also totally unexpected for me as well.... i thoroughly enjoyed the book but i thought the "major" sort of preparation for like the ultimate battle at the end sort of ended a bit weakly... i mean i really believed that bella and edward would die together on the battlefield together when edward said goodbye to Jacob calling him his brother and son... it seemed quite final... but then like 2 chapters later it was like rejoice rejoice!!! we're all saved... i mean i liked that edward was finally able to see bella's mind for a bit... it was like one of his ultimate dreams come true...
the whole baby wasn't that unexpected... but the thing was i was surprised it was one of the major plots.. i thought it would be one of the side plots.... i agree fully with fearishowfall.... how there had to be some loss in the book at the end... and it was just a bit too happy sappy.... i mean i'm a guy not saying that only girls like happy sappy and guys can't stand it... that's not what i mean but it just felt like a slightley disappointing ending.. if only there was that battle with the volturi at the end... i don't know if some people died... that would have made all the difference to me... i don't i like jacob a lot... but it would have been quite dramatic or something whilst they're having that battle bella's about to be killed or something and jacob dives in the way and saves her but gets killed himself... i know it seems harsh on his character... i like jacob but i think some sacrifice in the book was needed to make the perfect ending...
personally i see the books as one of the greatest love stories ever told... and the last book was definately NOT a disappointment just a few parts could have been done to make it better....
i thought the ending was quite sweet how she shows edward her mind then it says stuff about forever and forever... after reading the book i made my conclusion and my thoughts about the book like the sacrifice part and stuff but after re reading the last 2 pages or so i realised actually what a great book it was... it was definately up to standards as the other books. Edward and Bella's story.... I congratulate stephenie on creating the greatest story i have read...
over a year ago layla_14 said…
I quite liked it, but I think that there were a lot of things going on. I was so not what i expected the book to be, even thought i heard that bella was going to be pregnant, i was stil shocked, but I really like nessie, but I hate her name, I don't know why SM would want to name the child that name, and like Jacob said it's quite a handful. I really really loved Jacob's book!!!! it was so funny and just great, I really began to like Leah as well! I thought she was really funny and I liked it when she was talking about seth "mom dropped him on his head a lot when he was a baby..... on his head apparently" LOL! and I think seth is so sweet, you can't help but love him! i found some parts of bella's book a bit boring, and I din't like the way she was treating Jacob some of the times, it's not his fault that he imprinted on nessie, and Edward got on my nerves most times. I really wanted their to be a big epic fight at the end of the book, it would of made it so much better, all they did was talk most of the time, if there was a fight I think it would of ended the book much better! I also wanted to see if everone got a happy endind, like the werewolf pack, what about them! quil and claire, that part when they were on the beach was just so sweet, but I really think that he book would of been much better if bella was still human.
I don't know if this was my fav book, I have to say that Jacob part really did it for me, (i wish we had more from his POV) it was a good book but I don't know if it is my fav book yet, i will have to read it again to see, but I think that SM did quite a good job, but some of the things shouldn't have been there.
over a year ago mandissekrets said…
I Love the Twilight books but I gotta say the last one seemed like there was gonna be more to it. I mean they stired all this stuff up that seemed impossible to get out of with the Volturi and then there really wasn't any fight. This suprised me because the Cullens and the "witnesses" could have takin them. I figured there would be more to that story.
And I was so sad when the book ended because I didnt want to lose the characters I've grown so attached to. But I dont see how this is going to be the last book she left so much open for another. And if its going to be a "Next generation book" I'm gonna be mad because its Bella and Edward that I wanna read about. How could she not write another. Its not like Bella and Edward don't have FOREVER to come up with some more DRAMA. Besides we didnt even get to see Bella with her complete power she was just learning. I like to know what shes like with the whole shebang. All the book were centered around her turning and we only got a small taste of it.
PLEASE STEPHINE MEYER DON'T STOP THERE!
over a year ago movygirl said…
well, i really can't see why people didn't like this book or parts of it. I have never read or watched a more perfect ending than BD's!!! Stephenie Meyer truly outdid herself and introduced us to the GREATEST BOOK OF ALL TIMES!!!

I'm very sad that Bella's story is now ended, i miss her terribly, but i hope that SM will continue the story someday from Renesmee's perspective. Maybe it would be about the Volturi's downfall *crosses fingers and prays* :P
Now, i'm dying to read some backround stories for Emmett, Alice and Jasper falling in love, Alice's adventure through BD and a big chapter for when Edward is away from Bella in NM. Let's hope that the Twilight Guide will be as big as BD *again crosses fingers* XD
over a year ago Crivera said…
Im halfway through Breaking Dawn and its turned into complete dissapointment for me. Everything was great up until Bella got pregnant. I love this saga; a HUGE fan ... and i was so anxious to see how the last book would wrap up, but its even frustrating for me to keep reading. Twilight is centered around BELLA AND EDWARD. I feel like Nessie takes away from all of that. I apolgize if it sounds like im about to go off on a tangeant, but a couple of things have really annoyed me about this last book.

I never liked how Bella's being with Edward caused Jacob so much pain, but i almost miss that strong love he felt for her, now that he's imprinted on the baby. I deffinately hoped there would be a resolve to that issue, but why couldnt he have met some girl on the rez and fallen madly in love with her? Problem fixed ... did Stephanie really need to bring a baby into the mix to fix Jake's problem??

Im also not too crazy about Bella turning into a vamp, but its possible thats just bugging me because it had to take her having a BABY for that to finally happen. I loved how Edward always had to be careful and gentle because she was his precious and innocent Bella.

The last 3 books were written so well, i thought. Breaking Dawn has turned out to be the most emotional one for me, though. The way she went into labor so was unnessicary and made me feel like i wasnt even reading Twilight anymore. It seemed as if Edward changed and nessie caused them to age far too drastically in an emotional way. It could have easily been even the slightest bit better if the baby actually did turn out being a "monster," as they all put it; that way Bella would have been in agreement to destroy it. I dunno ...... just get rid of the baby in this book! lol
I loved the film and I am so excited to see the next 2 they signed off on. I think its great theyre staying as close to the story as possible I pray to god they dont make Breaking Dawn; SOO not needed, unless they lose the pregancy.

Im going to to finish the book because im curious to see how it all ends.
Still love Twilight and always will <3
over a year ago alexiscullen said…
smile
i loooooved it!! its the best one in my opinion. i just wished that instead of having jacobs part it told about her pregnancy more. i didint like it having jacobs part in it. it waas wierd with the werewolf stuff. i still loved it!!