Twilight Series My AWESOME theory for the significance of the breaking dawn cover art!

starry-eyed posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 02:04PM
okay, i just thought of this and i really like it! here it is: okay the chess board is like Bella's life, like every time there's a wrong move she faces fate, and the red pawn is her human body; small(hence the reason its in the back), weak, and full of blood(hence the red) and the big white pawn is her new vampire body where she has white skin(hence the white color) and is a LOT stronger(hence the reason that its big and in the front) PLEASE tell me what you think!! THANX!! =D
last edited on Jun 30, 2008 at 02:46PM

Twilight Series 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago starry-eyed said…
please comment!! =D
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago waffle-woman-x3 said…
very possible! i remember hearing something about stephenie saying that the red pawn signified jacob, though. if this is the case, i think that the white pawn is edward, and the chess board is bella's life. and i don't know much about chess, but seeing as "edward" would be bigger than "jacob" it hopefully means she will choose edward.

EDIT//
Oh my God, oh crap, oh crap. The white thing? That's a queen. The red thing is a pawn. If the pawn is Jacob, and the queen is Bella, what if "Bella" takes "Jacob"?
Oh my goodness. This cannot happen!
Sorry, It seems like I'm kind of disregarding your theory, which I'm not, because I really do love it. I hope that's what it means. :) I HOPE it's not one of the crazy things in my head, lol.

EDIT AGAIN//
What if "taking" Jacob means killing him? What if Bella becomes a vampire and kills Jacob?!
Wow, I'm crazy. But, it's a theory. xD
over a year ago ay3 said…
i REALLY like the theory. it has mental and physical significance! i like the part about the blood.. :P
thanx ay3!!! u act like uv heard it b4...lol wink..wink =P
over a year ago cheergeek said…
okay, first of all *snort* she's not taking back Jacob. But I could believe that he's the red pawn is Jacob, pawns are usually sacrificed easily...
I don't really want to get into that.
over a year ago officefan2010 said…
okay waffle-woman-x3
the entire time i was reading your reply i keot saying "oh my gosh!"
what if your right?!?!
I dont want any of that to happen!
now im scared..
maybe.....i just want 2 stick w/ my theory cuz it makes me happy cuz its not about anyone dying or something like that, its just about bella and im ok with that!
over a year ago confessions13 said…
This makes a lot of sense.. But I'm not so sure about it.. It's not a bad theory, but what the other people are saying is making sense too.. which is a scary thought, cuz the whole Jacob thing I def don't want to happen.. But I really hope that Bella turns into a vampire, and that Edward is the one to change her... So hopefully this cover does mean what u say, and she'll finally be one!! lol
over a year ago spezlee said…
I think you have a really great theory. It's really interesting. I guess we'll all just have to wait to see....sigh...

PS. I agree that I like your theory cuz nobody's dying!!!
over a year ago ay3 said…
IM SCARED. waffle-women-x3. u just gave me night mares. im scared. AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH­HHH­HHH­HHH­!
over a year ago proedward said…
This is a great theory. I hope that this is what it really means. I hope it has nothing to do with Edward and Jacob and either one being a pawn! Great thinking Starry Eyed!!
over a year ago MaryALICE said…
awww! i all of you have GREAT theories! but i'm not making one up because i just WANT TO READ BREAKING DAWN!!!! i cannot wait!
over a year ago ceo07 said…
cool theory and waffle-woman-x3 has some good ideas for theories too but i think that it could possibly symbolise more than one thing so i like to think of as many theories as possible = )
over a year ago zuntiz said…
I want to keep an open mind about what might happen, and this is really good theories.
I need the book now... :)
i know i know i know!!! this is just a theory i made up and i thought it sounded cool! i didn't mean 2 make any1 angry i was just kinda thinking out loud and i wanted 2 kno if people liked it! im not saying thats what the cover means, just what i THINK it could mean! thanx! oh and OF COURSE i absolutely can't wait 4 breaking dawn!!!! if u read some of my other forums, you can figure that out! lol =)
over a year ago emma-jeff said…
I like your theory a LOT more than some of the other I've heard :D All the others are so sad so I hope yours is right!
over a year ago cressida said…
I love how complicated the symbolism of the Breaking Dawn cover is, given that it's a "simple" image.

Great call that the white piece is a Queen. Of course that makes me think automatically that it represents Bella.

The pawn, however, is less clear -- it could very easily be Jacob. But the red pawn almost seems more threatening than the queen due to its color. Honestly, when I first saw the cover image, I thought the Queen = Edward. After all, the Queen is the most powerful piece on the chess board whereas the King is practically the weakest.

Ho hum. I'm just looking forward to deconstructing the imagery once I've read Breaking Dawn.