The Office Why some people dislike office?

symxyn posted on May 24, 2024 at 02:38AM

The Office 19 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago i_eat_pigeons said…
Some people think that it's not funny. I guess it's not their kind of humor.
I've also heard some people complaining about how they "don't get it," which i don't get, but i guess some people out there really aren't too smart.

Just to clarify thing, i LOVE the office! ao much, in fact, that it may be unhealthy. and i bid you good luck on your quest, because id like to know also.
over a year ago jlil02 said…
Art is subjective. That's why there is not just one kind of sitcom, music, drama, or anything else. For instance, some may think a drawing is "motel art" while others think it is good enough to be a tracing.

Bippity Boppity
over a year ago bradlybob said…
The humor on The Office can be subtle. You really have to pay attention sometimes to even know when something funny has been said. With no laugh track some people just don't know when something is meant to be funny.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
It's just not funny. The first six episodes seem to be a carbon copy of our version, only not funny, and the original stuff (except the cell phone prank) just bleh. The intro music is horrid too. What's wrong with having Stereophonics? :-(
over a year ago bradlybob said…
The intro music can't be worse than the dismal tune for the UK version. The 1st six episodes were very much like the UK series but starting in season 2 the US version started getting better.
I think some people just don't like it because it can be boring at times, just like real life, and some folks just don't get the jokes.
over a year ago immisterkevin said…
PkmnTrainerJ....of course you're not going to like it, since you refer to it as a "copy of OUR version". so yo're british.

but the humor is subtle and some people don't get it. there's no laughtracks to help the audience. and it isn't laugh out loud, slapstick comedy like other shows. yes, the first season was just not really that good, but it transformed into a very funny show by the second season. i think season 4 will be its funniest yet.

i've heard the intro music to the UK one...so bland and boring. at least the US is upbeat. and who says 'horrid'?
i LOVE the US music! it's so festive and fun!
over a year ago marissa said…
what??
i cant believe so many people didnt liket he first season!

i loved it!
granted, it was very much like the uk one (which i LOVE), but its still very funny.

things seemed like they were alittle more subtle in the first season, and everything was a little drearier (...if thats a word), but i liked that about it.
working in an office isnt happy and funny, it sucks, right? i think the fist season, and the uk version were a little more ture to that. it was making fun of real life.
dont get me wrong, i still love the office, but...lets be honest, how many of your co-workers out there are going to be dating a high school student and not know it? peper spray a jelous ex-fiance? try and persuade someone to get into a coffin??
if your answer is "a lot", please tell me where you work! i must apply!!!

anways, ive said my piece,
but just on one final note: i liked the uk theme song :)
last edited over a year ago
i liked the first season too! health care? diversity day? they're all great episodes!
over a year ago Phylob_forever said…
I think the first season was a little bit worse than the other seasons, the reason being that it did copy the British version too much. I believe the pilot was the worst episode of all time. I saw a few episodes of the British version, and I think that Tim lacks the smoothness of Jim. I think that if you don't get the Office (US) humor, you are just not all that intelligent.
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
I think the pilot was terrible too. Because (I'm really sorry I love you Michael) I don't think Michael will ever beat David Brent. And I compared everything to the UK.

A lot of people just don't like the US cos they hate people copying their favourite show. But if you actually watch it you'll find it's really different. And like marissa said so much less believable. But I guess they had to make it like that to make it appealing for more than 12 episodes.

And as for Tim, he wasn't really supposed to be the smoothest, coolest, cutest and best guy like Jim is. He lived with his parents! But the point was he was still really cool anyway. He wasn't perfect - its realistic. They made Jim a lot cooler. But that doesn't bother me at all =D

And the UK intro music is supposed to be dull - its reinforcing just how boring the office is. But I like the US one. It makes me want to sing along lol.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago memo0586 said…
because they have no friends very simple
over a year ago llerenaprincipe said…
its a different type of comedy :)

and you have to pay attention
u gotta listen to everything
its very detailed
and they have to start watching from previous episodes
cause u know how the storyline is
by the 3rd season everybody is expecting dwight to be funny but new people don't know that
u have to be patiente :)
over a year ago Melia said…
I don't get pinning the two shows against one another. I own all of the British and American Office dvds, and find them funny for their own reasons. I don't believe one is funnier than the other, they are just different (and awesome because of it). Also, I read somewhere that the demographic that watches The Office U.S. the most are college-educated late-twenty and thirt-somethings. I think there is something about the generation and the life experiences of this demographic that makes The Office appealing to them...and why people who come from different groups may not enjoy the show as much. But to each their own! I love The Office and am so happy that the third season is out on dvd today!!!
over a year ago Melia said…
Oh, and I totally agree about the laugh track thing. Some people need that to discern whether something is funny or not. The absence of a laugh track takes some getting used to.
over a year ago llerenaprincipe said…
well its a mockumentary
so its not suppose to be funny for them so they keep going :)
its funny for us
over a year ago Dundiechampion said…
My stepdad thinks it's the same show every episode.
over a year ago marissa said…
i get that the piolt maybe didnt have the most going on in it, but i still liked it.
i think it was the only episode that just showed a normal day in the office.
i think that's pretty cool. i dunno...i think that was kinda cool.

also....i still think it was funny :)

and, just as a little side note here, i almost liked the fact the tim lacked the smoothness of jim. he's a loser baby, so why dont you kill him?
over a year ago krazykray said…
Some people just arent smart enough to get it. no offense.

The humor is in the words, like when Michael starts talking about random things in his talking heads. You really need to know about what he's talking about to know that he is totaly bs-ing it to make it look like he knows what hes talking about. That is funny.

The humor is also in the seriousness in totaly absurd situations. Take Dwight, for example. He is completely serious (during the fire episode, when Jim plays tricks on him, during the fight episode..ect). That is funny, also.

If you don't understand this, it won't be funny.