The Office UK vs US

tvman posted on Apr 17, 2007 at 08:15PM
It is the age old question (or at least the 3 and a half year old question) Which is better, The Office UK, or The Office US. In my oppinion US beats UK out of the water. Yes, I know UK was here first but it's just too boring. The British Pam (Dawn) is a little too mean, the Dwight (Garth) is too calm to be Dwight, and as for Rickey Gervice (yes, I know it's spelled wrong), well every time I see him I say, "he's good, but he's no Steve Carell". US rules, UK is just plain too boring. UK or US which will you side with.

The Office 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago papa said…
I started with the Office UK (which I still think is awesome).

They're both quite different. I feel like the early skepticism about the US version was fair (we usually screw up the remakes) and the first season was somewhat derivative.

But really, by the second half of season 1, you could tell that the show was starting to develop its own identity. Midway through the second season this transformation was complete.

I have a hard time putting down one for the other. I do think the US show has blossomed and has managed to step outside of the shadow of the original to become its own fantastic comedic offering. I still like a lot about the UK series though.

I do think that while I find the US Office funnier, I found the UK program more profound. There was some geniunely sad/depressing endings to the UK programs where you'd laugh and then a moment later, you'd feel utterly depressed (the one where Gareth rides off from the bar in the motorcycle sidecar comes to mind). I think the UK show captured the banality of office life a bit better than the US show (which is zanier and more quirky).

My one *potential* gripe with the US show is that they won't know when to stop. The UK show benefited from its short run and compact story arc. Let's hope that the US Office doesn't limp off into the sunset. I'd really hate to see that happen.
over a year ago someguynamedjer said…
hahaha...Gareth riding off in the sidecar is one of the funniest moments ever! Its funny, because that isn't even the focus of that scene, but you just have this scene of Gareth in the sidecar of the gross biker chick he was hitting on. The look on his face is priceless and has given me memory burn!
But "TVMAN" is a bit of an idiot to dismiss the UK version as boring. My guess is, he is an American himself and therefore considers obvious humour as the best around. Wit and dry humour is lost on people with a lower IQ. Talledega Nights is probably a classic in his house and he probably goes on overseas holidays, like to Canada.
Moran!
over a year ago julesfan said…
Boring, I agree may be a stretch, but if one were to see the different versions in the order I did, then I could see how you could be a little biased. I watched the US version of The Office and got addicted to it, long before I ever saw an episode of the UK version. A friend bought me the UK version because he said I needed to see where the show originated. While there was some very funny moments in the UK version, I am still partial to the US version. I just found it to be more all around entertaining.