The Office Is Karen leaving?

tvman posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 03:58PM
I was reading something a few days ago that Rashida Jones, aka Karen Filippelli has apparently signed on to do a show for Fox. This could possably mean that Karen could be leaving The Office. If she left would it be a blow to the show, or would the fans of the show (us) just say good riddence. You decide.
last edited on Apr 16, 2007 at 04:19PM

The Office 11 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago bwright said…
Good Riddance! -Of Course...Jim and Pam and their will they won't they relationship will be able to continue to work better with Roy and Karen gone.
over a year ago rodthemod said…
Nooooooooo, say it ain't so! I know there are Karen haterz out there, but I'm not one of them.

I think she's gotten the shaft on character development and screen time too.
over a year ago Kitzo said…
Agreed. Although I think any plot involving Karen leaving (ie. breaking up with Jim) would automatically equal more Jam, which a lot of people would be thrilled about.
over a year ago someguynamedjer said…
Oh c'mon. People here claim to be Office Fans, but are you really a fan if you haven't watched the original British version. If you did, you'd know that The Office is following the same premise as the original, and the Karen character was doomed to be a temporary thing.
Jim himself said that basically, she was a rebound girl, and he has realized who he's meant to be with. Karen will realise that and probably break up with him and quit. Good riddance
over a year ago julesfan said…
Also, despite her signing on for another show...she did NOT sign on for another season of the Office. So, as pointed out above, they are following the same premise of the original series and this year's season finale should be her last episode.
over a year ago papa said…
someguynamedjer - i was wondering how true to the arc of the original UK series the US series would be. Personally, I'm hoping that they don't slavishly mirror the original series' resolution, but that's just me.

fwiw, Tim's job disatisfaction and abandoned dreams were more pointed than Jim's. Jim doesn't really seem to care that he's stuck in a dead end job at Dunder Miflin. I also don't get the same angst from Pam relative to what we saw for Dawn. I guess my point is that where the US show is emotionally/thematically seems very different from the British program (imho).

I guess if they said they're gonna follow the big plot points of the original, that's what will happen, but I hope for some twists and surprises nevertheless.

I have to think that like some others have mentioned (in different threads) that Toby is gonna make a play for Pam before Jim gets his second shot at her.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago someguynamedjer said…
Oh I totally agree. I think that there marked differences in Tim and Jim. Tim got all uppity when he was promoted, but Jim has reminaed somewhat the same.
If we can only look forward to the same ending as the UK, then we'd have to have Michael leave the Office somehow. In the UK, it was because of the a dream of becoming a motivational speaker...but that thread has already been explored in "Business School" when Michael thought being a college speaker was the best thing ever. So, we'll see...
over a year ago BrotherLuke said…
Dang, I haven't watched any of the British Office, but if it does follow the same track I'll be sad to see Karen go. A lot of people just see her as an obstacle that's in the way of "Jam" but really the only reason she moved to Scranton was to be with Jim. Personally, I think she's an interesting and underrated character who doesn't get enough screen time, but if she really is doomed to be cut then I guess that makes sense. Nevertheless, it is a shame.
over a year ago marissa said…
viva jam!
over a year ago jpeterson99 said…
The last episode of the season is supposed to deal with the job opening at corporate right? Since Michael or any of the other "main" characters aren't going to leave the PA office, I'm sure Karen is the one that's going to be promoted and move to New York. With regards to JAM, i doubt we'll see any big development on this part until the series finale/last season. If they do the "pay off" early, the show will jump the shark and it will be canceled. Catch 22...do you allow JAM to happen early and jump the shark or do you prolong the series for 4 more years and continue the angst?
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
I think we've gathered that the US show isn't following the exact same storyline as the UK but the basic stuff has to be followed otherwise it isn't the Office i.e Karen leaves and Jam (even after 2 years) eventually get together.