The Heroes of Olympus Official MoA cover,first chapter,plot released!Discussions!

Reyna4ever25 posted on Jun 01, 2012 at 02:50AM
Hello guys, so, I opened fanpop today and this picture just popped up on this HoO website. This pic really draws many questions and it poses the biggest question : What led to this?

To see the pic click here : link

This is what Rick has to say about this pic:

"Well, John Rocco has done it again! Above is his fabulous cover art for The Mark of Athena. It was revealed yesterday in Publishers Weekly. If you missed the interview, you can read it here.

What is the scene on the cover? Is that who you think it is, about to fight?? Can't tell you, but yes, that is an actual scene from the book, and the meaning will be clear when you read it. Very soon, Disney will be launching a new site, GreeksvsRomans.com, which will let you choose your side -- Camp Half-Blood or Camp Jupiter. More on that soon!

The first chapter is now available on Disney's Heroes of Olympus website. The book will be released Oct. 2, 2012. Why the wait? Well, ya know, proofreading, typesetting, proofreading again, printing (or formatting separately for each e-version) final revisions, etc. It takes a lot to make a book, and we want it to be as polished as possible when you read it."

Please discuss this pic with me here. If hundred speculations are made, surely one will be true in the end!

Also now we have access to the first chapter of Mark of Athena which has been reviewed and edited by Rick after the SS surprise read.

Here is the link to that page : link

Also here is the Plot of MoA :
“Told from the perspectives of four different demigods, including Annabeth from Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Mark of Athena unites the Greek and Roman main characters from The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune. In a fantastical ship called the Argo II, seven demigods journey by air across the United States and by sea to Rome on their quest to defeat the earth mother, Gaea. Meanwhile, war is breaking out between the Roman and Greek demigods they left behind, and only Annabeth holds the key to restoring peace.”

Now here is the more greater and clearer plot of MoA :

"Annabeth is terrified. Just when she’s about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo’s fantastical creation doesn’t appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that’s only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close— the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth’s biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he’s now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare." . . .

And this is the comment made by Rick :

“I can’t wait to share The Mark of Athena with my readers. The book has so many things they’ve been waiting for!” stated Rick Riordan. “Annabeth and Percy are together at last, as well as the seven demigods of the prophecy. The voyage of the Argo II was the most exciting story to write—by far my favorite part of the Heroes of Olympus series yet.”

The plot and comment open way to more questions. Here are some, tell me what you think about them and why:

1. Is Annabeth the seventh demi-god?

2. If she is not then who is the seventh?

3. Is the seventh Annabeth/Reyna/Nico/new demigod?

4. Who’s is the fourth PoV? Reyna/Leo/Nico/Hazel/new demigod?

5. If Annabeth is on the ArgoII how do you think she holds the key for peace between the demigods left behind?

6. What do you think about the cover?

7. Jason is riding the venti horse or something else?

8. What does Terminus mean about keeping Minerva in her place? Effects of the Trojan war or something else?

9. Why does the mysterious voice laugh at Annabeth’s truce with Terminus?

10. Do you like the edits Rick has made to the chapter?

Do answer these. I will be posting my answer tomorrow cause it is going to be quite a long one :)
And thanks to everyone who has come forward and commented in this forum! Hopefully these speculations and theories will make the wait for MoA more bearable.
last edited on Jun 01, 2012 at 02:06PM

The Heroes of Olympus 40 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago LORDCHAOS said…
surprise
Well the owl has to be related to Athena! While the mark could be the mark that Dadelus bore! While Percy and Jason might become rivals and/or possessed due to the fact that in the picture it looked like they where fighting or it could simply be some of the Romans camp games!
over a year ago demigod324 said…
Percy and jason could be tricking someone*cough gaia cough* into thinking the turned on each othe and i think the owl has something to do with the present athena gave to annabeth
over a year ago Reyna4ever25 said…
@LORDCHAOS - I know that the owl has something to do with athena, but earlier on I read this speculation that the owl could be Annabeth (maybe here gift from mom was the ability to change into an owl and guide them or something, lol, the idea seems funny)

The mark could be Daedelus's but Rick doesn't often repeat. Hmm...He surely knows how to make us think.

I think that Percy being Praetor could make Jason his rival. Or this might be in front of the Doors of Death where the prophecy tells us a fight will break out

Roman camp games, i never thought in that perspective. Maybe. Rick might want to keep us thinking hard and it might turn out to be just a game, but some thing tells me he is serious this time.

And what do you think of the horse/pegasus that Jason is riding? Arion/Skippy/Venti horse (suggestion from someone)/some other flying horse?

And thanks for being the first to comment! :)
last edited over a year ago
@demigod234 - lol, you posted as i was typing so i didn't notice your comment.

Interesting view point but i think this is serious. I mean isn't this the perfect way to keep us thinking hard? I doubt Rick would say this isn't a real fight in the book. That would disappoint lot of fans
Not to dis your thought about athenas gift but if annabeth could guide them then i think the present would be a good thing but the way annabeth describes it its a bad thing
over a year ago LORDCHAOS said…
meh
I think Jason might get his own Pegasus! Dosen't it say reyna has one?
@reyna fan-well i dont like to think about possible violence between the 7
@LORD CHAOS-yes she does his name is scipio or skippy because he was the color of peanut nuter(i go5 that right out of the SON book)
over a year ago PJrocks said…
I think percy and jason will just have a fight like percy and thalia did in the titans curse, but if its just a fight then why put it on the front cover, hmmmm.....
my nook is stupid i ment to say i got that out of SON not i go5 that out of SON
over a year ago Aponimisae said…
big smile
It's so intense, I mean, I'm fairly certain, that Jason is on Tempest (so he returns? I wonder if Percy could hear his thoughts too...) and that has to be Percy on Blackjack. I need it to be. I miss Blackjack's comic comments.
@PJrocks - Yeah, but in the past, the most important scene isn't always depicted, I mean, for LT, Percy never even stood in the ocean (much less with the Minotaur horn) looking at the Empire State Building. For SoM, them running across the bridge could be considered important, so it makes sense. Third, TTC, Percy on Blackjack, being tied by Dionysus? There could've been more exciting scenes to pick from. I could go on, but I feel I've gotten my point across.
All the same, super excited to see this. And did you hear about his idea for a series based on Norse mythology? AHHHH!
over a year ago godoffate1 said…
big smile
it think Athena gave annabeth on ability that never passed from mother to daughter or she is born with ability or blessing from her mother and came to explain how to use it, but all in all i would annabeth is seventh member of the Prophesy and she will have rare gift that never child of athena had before and remember on battel of labyrinth hera said about postpone annabeth choice i think hera or chose her back then and pan told her she will play great role. by the way for people who said jason gone get pegesus that isn't pegesus are made out of sea foam. his horse vente( storm sprit) half storm and half horse and hera told jason he will see tempest again in THL.
the official web for MOA link
I was thinking and I came up with this idea.

What is the pic was meant to show that a fight between the two sides was coming?

Like Percy representing the Greeks and Jason the Romans
And I am changing the title to include the plot and first chapter full discussions too.

godoffate1 has already given the link to the chapter but I will post what I found about Rick's say on MoA
This is what Rick said about MoA :

“I can’t wait to share The Mark of Athena with my readers. The book has so many things they’ve been waiting for!” stated Rick Riordan. “Annabeth and Percy are together at last, as well as the seven demigods of the prophecy. The voyage of the Argo II was the most exciting story to write—by far my favorite part of the Heroes of Olympus series yet.”

And this is the official plot:

“Told from the perspectives of four different demigods, including Annabeth from Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Mark of Athena unites the Greek and Roman main characters from The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune. In a fantastical ship called the Argo II, seven demigods journey by air across the United States and by sea to Rome on their quest to defeat the earth mother, Gaea. Meanwhile, war is breaking out between the Roman and Greek demigods they left behind, and only Annabeth holds the key to restoring peace.”
I mean the plot changes things. How can Annabeth hold the key to peace between Greek and Romans left behind if she is one of the seventh? It doesn't make sense. It only shows she isn't one of the seven but has some other bigger role to play. Tell me what you think
First I thought the PoV's will be Percy,Annabeth,Jason and Reyna

But now I am starting to think the fourth might be Leo/Nico. What do you guys think?
Gasp! This new plot which is found in Rick's official website really tells us so many things. speculations anyone?
over a year ago Jupiter305 said…
hmmm
I think the four PoV's are the Greeks. Percy, Piper, Leo, and Annabeth for the four demigods. Maybe next book will be the Romans.
I think the cover shows conflict between Percy and Jason.
Also, Ternimus mentioned how bad the Romans think of Minerva so maybe by "Avenge Me" Athena needs to make Annabeth gain the Romans' respect for Athena.
over a year ago JasmineValdez said…
I'm currently following HectateA's idea, that Annabeth's gift from her mom was a coin. Apparently it can grant wishes, and has the symbol of Athena on it. (Read her article for more, I'm rubbish at explaining,sorry) Anyway, Rick was also showing a picture of a coin at the Serpents Shadow release event, right before he read the first chapter. What do you think?
And where did everyone get the idea that there are only four POVs? I was kind of hoping to hear from all seven.
^Because on ricks website it says that the book will hange betweenour people
over a year ago wierdo4 said…
I really think the voice is Athena's.
i think jason will be start the fight, if Jupiter children are like zeus children with power hunger. Jason might get jealous of percy for taking his placee at roman camp, because on first of MOA it's said Jason was wearing his praetor symbol and find out his been replaced by Greek he'll be pissed may be and start a fight
I was on ricks website and rick said that the pic on the cover is gonna be an important seen in the book
over a year ago crazyperson22 said…
I have an idea,what if the gift is this annoying little owl,because theres a owl on the cover,and in the first chapter Annabeth makes it pretty clear its not a nice pressy.

^But thats a long shot,heres a more realistic theory(this isn't very realistic either but oh well I'll live)

1. Remember Terminus seemed to know who Annabeth was and said That the Greeks had no sense of decency and the Roman knew the proper place for that goddess- meaning Minerva/Athena,which I think is rather offensive but it obviously means the Romans have a dislike for her,which is strange because I just looked Minerva up on wikipedia and it didn't say anything about her being disliked so Mr Riordan will probably come up with something,either that or wikipedia is wrong and I seriously doubt that.So if the Romans aren't fond of Minerva/Athena they probably won't like Annabeth at all,so how could she hold the key to peace?Well sometimes its the person everyone hates who brings peace,so I think she'll succeed somehow she is Annabeth Chase after all.

I just realized that isn't much of a theory oh well I'll live oh and I started writing this like 7 hrs ago so sorry if anyone wrote anything similar which I kinda doubt.

over a year ago universalpowa said…
Haha, XD

Nice stuff! and yeah, there are some interesting theories about the MOA still circulating :P
I think Percy is representing the Greeks side because he's wearing an orange shirt and riding Blackjack, while Jason is wearing Purple to support the Romans on his old horsey Tempest. :D

I miss Blackjack, and his addiction to donuts :'( yep...

So I'm thinking the fourth point of view is either Leo (because the Mark of Athena BURNS through Rome) so maybe Annabeth has this weird super power wish granting coin thing that is also a curse and like it has awesome powers and chiz and somehow Leo gets a hold of it and like, accidentally sets the place on fire.

Also, Terminus is a GOD. He can probably tell whatever Annabeth is hiding (gods have an annoying talent of doing that) and that's why he told Annabeth "Please don't destroy my city."

YEP :P Rick loves to troll us. NOOOOO!! WHY!!! Anyways, the POV's should be Annabeth. Percy, Jason, and then Leo or a new character. That I am absolutely sure of.

Just guessing, but I think the new character is going to be a girl... Just a hunch :P
over a year ago daedae26 said…
I sort of saw this coming, like them fighting because look how Percy and Thalia handled things..... and Jasons ROMAN that will be a mess. Based on the official plot though Jason and Percy are probably just symbolizing the Greeks and Romans. I LOVE the cover though
^ I hope they're just fighting for the praetor rank
Yeah I think this fight has been instigated by that. But I don't think that the Praetor problem is the cause, it might be one of the causes.
over a year ago darange said…
well for the cover i think its for praertorship because Jason was praetor then when he left Percy became praetor so they could be battling for that or maybe "cough"gaia"cough' . i honestly don't know if it will be in third POV, or fourth, or anything thats what got me guessing. i think ether annabeth or Reyna is the 7th demigod. i was thinking maybe Jason's riding someone else"s Pegasus.i have no clue on the whole keeping Minerva in her place. maybe this laughing voice will think she will lose. and yes i did like the edits
over a year ago darange said…
this is just a random guess so dont laugh but i think the gift has something to do with the owl coin of athena or a mark like Daedalus had
this is just a random guess so dont laugh but i think the gift has something to do with the owl coin
over a year ago Firestrike22 said…
this is from goodreads.

What is the scene on the cover? Is that who you think it is, about to fight?? Can't tell you, but yes, that is an actual scene from the book, and the meaning will be clear when you read it.

thats what Rick said about the cover. Totally in a panic.
HecateA might be right. It really could be a coin . . . . .
mischievous
people Daedalus branded as killer but Annabeth never did anything that her mother disapproved of other than dating percy so i would say she got some kind of power like the other six of the seven maybe since athena have power over mind my guess would be telekinesis
u guys need to remember the convertion between frank and Thanatos. And Thanatos said only one special type of demigod here is the convertion between them " 'Ah, yes.' A look of irritation flickered across Thanatos's face. 'The Doors of Me. Closing them would be good, but I fear it is beyond my power. How you would do it, I haven't the faintest idea.I can't tell you exactly where they are. The location isn't … well, it's not entirely a physical place. They must be located through questing. I can tell you to start your search in Rome. The original Rome.You will need a special guide. Only one sort of demigod can read the signs that will ultimately lead you to the Doors of Me.' " and that demigod would be Annabeth. Remember the prophece " Mark of Athena burn through rome, daughter of wisdom walks alone" something like that
over a year ago Ares2002 said…
my speculation is that Annabeth is probably the seventh and that probably Athena wanted to make Annabeth do something for her and in exchange she would save the camp. I read on Wikipedia that the cover is that Percy and Jason are fighting the owl in the background not each other and I think Jason is riding Tempest.Probably the mysterious voice was of Athena and she knew something bad would happen.
@Ares2002 : Wikepedia is often wrong. I think this is one such ocassion. It looks more like the owl is watching over/caused the fight .
@darange : Even I have the same speculation. Athena had given a coin to Annabeth. It is clear in the line: " In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. "

So we know it is a coin. But what it does, we can only guess.
@gooffate : what is telekinesis? And I think that the guide will be Nico/some new demigod(if that demigod is not the seventh)
I found this on Rick's twitter page:

"The best revenge is living well plus revenge." The goddess Nemesis approves this message. You'll meet her in Mark of Athena.