Survivor Is Stupid

despaina posted on Apr 05, 2008 at 02:48AM
This is perhaps one of the worst shows ever made for television. First, these "survivors" are not anything remotely close to what a true survivor would be. Someone who actually would be worried about finding food or finding shelter wouldn't be sitting around on logs whining about how they got their feelings hurt. And these stupid little "games" they play where people are eliminated. How does this have anything to do with "surviving?" Just becuase the show takes place on a tropical island doesn't mean they couldn't film the same show in downtown Los Angeles. Just throw them all in a giant sandbox and let them whine there. Survivor is a terrible influence on America today. That one should lie, deceive, cheat, and hate one another, to gain money are terrible values. We should not put entertainment above what we truely believe as Americans, that each of us are important to each other. We have enough negativity in America that showing it on T.V. should be entertaining. We have enough stress and negativity in our own lives that seeing others create it for entertainment is appalling.

Survivor 4 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Snerkie said…
WELL...for the games...you have to "survive" the game and "survive" elimination. The show is more of a play on words of "survivor" and not really "oh we'll throw these people on an island and leave them there".

And if YOU personally have so much stress and negativity then maybe you should stay away from all things that could encourage it such as internet, tv, the real wotrld :\ yup
over a year ago harold said…
Well, I also don't particularly care for the show, but I think that most of what you mention applies to any "reality" TV show. Reality TV is all about people behaving badly, and it always has been, from "MTV's The Real World" onward.

Where I do agree with you completely is that the show should really be called something else, as I'd rather see the challenges relate to survival rather than the survival aspect be gaming your peers. There are other shows that do cater to our preferences, though:
* link, a CBS show in which kids struggle to survive mostly on their own in a western ranch town
* Frontier House, a PBS show in which several families had to homestead as the pioneers did on the prairie, building their own homes and growing their own crops
* Colonial House, another PBS show in which several families travel to North America by ship and have to create a subsistent colony from scratch

Granted, each of the shows I mention have an historical bent - they restrict the participants to the technologies that were available to the people in the time periods being emulated - but they're much closer to being actual tests of survival.
over a year ago despaina said…
Thank you both for your comments.
over a year ago gardard said…
who ever wrote this is the most stupid person in the world it is called a reality show and it is the greatest show on the planet yeah they didn't just survive a plane crash and got on and island that would be to dangerous so don't say stuff about this show