Supernatural Season 4's "Nicer Ruby" (Spoilers)

samsgirl84 posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 04:21AM
Source: Tv Guide

I heard that there is a reason why, in the Supernatural premiere, Ruby seemed to have changed into a nicer demon. Do you know what it is? — Laura

Matt: I chalked it up to the fact that Ruby now inhabits Genevieve Cortese’s body, but there’s more to it than that. As series creator Eric Kripke tells the Buzz, “One reason she’s nicer is because she spent a few weeks in a particularly nasty corner of Hell, being punished by Lilith’s minions. That would humble just about anyone. As to whether Ruby is hiding some ulterior motive….tune in to find out.”

I don't like this new Ruby for some reason!?!
What does everyone think??

Supernatural 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago fanfly said…
I never liked her, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the new Ruby just because she doesn't seem like the character at all. Even if the writers did want to soften her up, they should have left something of the old character. I don't know. Anyway, my theory about why she's softer is because she's getting what she wants. She's had Sam all to herself and has been training him without Dean's interference. Now that Dean's back, she's going to be extra nice to Sam for fear that he'll turn his back on her in favor of Dean. If Dean finds out about her, she might try being nice to him too, but I think she's too smart to think it would work. Dean is going to be pissed. Do you think there's going to be a confrontation in the next episode, Metamorphosis?
over a year ago branonc07 said…
knew ruby sucks
over a year ago sadsoleil said…
This Ruby I don't like her the old one was funny and cool this one just annoyes me. She is sucks!!
Ok, so I'm officially disappointed with the new Ruby, after Metamorphosis. Although I stand by my theory for the change, I still don't like how fast this change has happened. She's too different from the old Ruby. As Dean said, "Well aren't you an obedient little bitch"
Oh, my sister brought up another thought about why she's softer now. Sam's grown more powerful- he could send her ass back to hell if he wanted. So she's definitely going to treat him with more respect now.
over a year ago Allixox said…
yup yup. I agree with fanfly.

I like the girl who plays her ; I have nothing against her, she'd be great for any other role. but seriously, Kate Cassidy made a better Ruby. just because she was more cut throat.
over a year ago Sil2Y5 said…
Yeah. I don't know why she was taken off the show, I mean Eric kripke said it was only burocracy and that he loved Kate Cassidy but then why dont the get her to play Ruby for the same number of episodes these new girl is supossed to be on?
last edited over a year ago
Cassidy probably asked for more money. Why bother paying her more when they can kill off her meatsuit and get a cheaper actress? ;D
Anyway, I don't think it's so much an actress issue as a writer issue. The writers have changed the character (for the reasons I stated before). I'm pretty sure any actress in this role would seem bad because they've changed the character too fast. We didn't see the developement into the new Ruby, just *poof* there she is, the obedient bitch.
over a year ago kakarot said…
yes. new ruby does suck. i would have to agree that its because shes ben getting what she wanted. i.e. devolping sams powers.thought i duobt shes scared of sam sending her back to hell.it seems to me shes grooming him to fight a war. but whos to say, all i known is that the old ruby was alot cooler. i still have hope that they could turn her around.
over a year ago Cladra said…
i liked the old ruby
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
Maybe if they butcher Ruby's current Cortese meat suit and find a new actress, 'Ruby' won't suck so bad. I know the character has changed a bit, but have you considered the effect the actress has on your dislike of 'Ruby'?
over a year ago Natalie88 said…
mischievous
I adore Genevieve Cortese and her Ruby!!!!! It's writers' decision to make her nicer and I'm with them in this. I'm happy not being among her and other female characters haters! Genevieve Cortese is just beautiful, talented,down to earth and I'm her fan. Nobody can make me understand what's so wrong about the new Ruby. Did you like that aggressive and know-it-all Ruby? (though I admit I've been her fan since her first appearance) Demon is supposed to be like previous Ruby, but she has changed, because she now has someone to live for - Sam. It's not reality so everything can happen.Come on, don't forget it's just a film! :) But as she's still a demon, we can expect everything from her.
over a year ago mattymacg09 said…
big smile
DarkSarcasm: I think that is everyone's point; they don't like the new actress as Ruby....

Natalie88: No one is taking any shots at the actress playing Ruby. She may be beautiful, talented, and down-to-earth (even though you can't know this), but she isn't a good Ruby. Ruby had a distinct personality and they just went and gave us a complete 180; if it wasn't for the fact they have established she was Ruby, I would have guessed it was a different demon. And we know that it isn't reality, I don't think anyone has deluded themselves into thinking it was real, but there should at least be some sort of continuity, especially in the basis of someone's personality. Even if she changed a little because she "now has someone to live for," it wouldn't change her ENTIRE personality, as it has. And just FYI, this isn't a film, its a TV-Show... there's a difference