Supernatural Did John Save Dean to Save Sam?

fanfly posted on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:21AM
So in "Dream A Little Dream of Me", "demon" Dean says that John didn't care whether or not Dean lived or died. But he sacrificed himself to bring Dean back to life. So that got me to thinking. Did John only bring Dean back because he knew that he himself couldn't save Sam? He and Sam constantly argue and butt heads. Did he think that if it was just the two of them, that Sam's chances of going "dark side" were greater? Sam obviously listened to Dean more than he listened to John. So is that why John sacrificed himself? So that Dean could save Sam?
Even if it isn't true, I think it probable that Dean thinks that's why John did it.

Supernatural 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago linalin said…
seriously, Daddy Winchester was thinking more immediate thoughts at that point, like Dean dying... and as per usual he left Sam in Dean's care, he knew Dean would do anything to keep Sam safe before even considering "stopping him" anyhow.(I don't like to say "kill him")
over a year ago fanfly said…
John was pretty smart though. I'm sure he considered all the ramifications before he made that deal. And I'm not saying that it was his only motivation. I'm just sure that it must have crossed his mind. Hell, in the finale of season 1 he got a big old dose of how much Sam trusts Dean more than him (when Dean's holding the Colt on John and John says that Sam needs to trust him and Sam says no and goes over to stand by Dean). Pretty blatant. And I really think that if Dean had died and John and Sam were left alone together, that Sam would have gone off the deep end.
I do agree with that, but I think it was a more "Dad-like" decision, I hate saying things like this but, at the end of all discussions Dean is also his son and he wants to save both, and again, why not keep the natural order of things and leave the older brother to take care of his baby brother that might go astray and generally listens to his older brother? Killing two birds with one stone- one thing I always say to my brothers and sisters when we're beefin' with our parents- "We need to stick together, 'cause when we are beefin' they stick together", that's how I saw that particular episode.
I agree, I do think it was a very Dad-like decision and John did what was best for both of his sons.
Sweeet! And again, thanks for the TIH link. :D
And I have to say, Daddy-Winchester was a conniving son of a bitch.
You're welcome! :) lol Daddy Winchester did what he had to do. =D
over a year ago Darkangel4761 said…
If you dont mind me joining the convo this is what i think...

A small part of me thinks that daddy winchester saved dean just so that he could save Sam. Cos he said to dean that he had to try and save sam or kill him. And i think he might of thought dean would have had a better chance of saving sam than him.
Mostly i think he did it cos he thought it was the best thing to do in that situation for both of the boys. :)
last edited over a year ago