NCIS Please Make Some Basic Changes Or The Show Is "Lost"

SgtBanzai posted on Nov 26, 2008 at 04:02PM
1. NCIS has long had the potential to be long term project (something that has gone out of style it seems due to actor careers, union issues, etc).
2. Retired military, disabled vet, special ops and law enforcement experienced among other things too numerous to mention here, but I do know that there is a glaring issue that threatens this fine show, as time passes.
3. I know an agent always dies, the leader always suffer a life-threatening or loss of loved one situation, and the regulars are either open or have some hidden secret or agenda.
4. My personal bias is that this show has the right stuff, balance in storylines, use of tek, etc. but the human equation is giving me a headache.
5. You have a strong hero/leader, but week after week, the supporting cast has this annoying habit of having to be told the same thing...GET TO THE POINT!
6. It is cute a few times, obvious the next season, but now with EVERY show, the same 3 people have to be told to FOCUS. Ok, it's a human trait, it's what people do, but every week?
7. I know the writers and producer are among the best in Hollywood, but come on guys! The ME rambles on about past experiences, the Foresenic Goth Girl says 'guess what', and the 20tween30 something agent tries to educate about movies and skirt chasing...
8. Remember Higgins in Magnum and his rambling? Well, there's other examples too. Brit accent, Goth brainiac, and Yuppie skirtchaser don't make a foundation for the future.
9. They can keep their quirks but it has gotten old. One example, amnesiac woman says there's a bomb on a ship but these same 3 go on like 'oh ok, by the way, are those real? yada yada...
10. I've fired people like that in the real world of special ops. I enjoy the show, especially as it spins positive on the military, but please, get back on track.
11. Had my say for now. Ideas? How about exploring the parents in WWII or a show with the cast in WWII, or Korea, or Vietnam, or have the team go on the road chasing someone around the world. Show something outside the box. Maybe a fan written script contest, etc.
Spin off a character into the private world of investigations or have them work with the Air Force version- OSI, or Army- CID. Just do it.

NCIS 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago TypicalSquint said…
ok, what show are you actually talking about???? because if it's NCIS, then clearly you are not watching it with your eyes open.

fan written script contest??? what is this, star trek????

you can not mess with the genius of Donald Bellisario and his team, they are brilliant...and if you think they're not cutting it, stop watching....or how about you try and create your own show...let's se how sucessful that is
over a year ago Abbystattoos said…
You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. I wonder do you have some experience with television writing as well? Your commentary is intelligent and astute. I know sometimes industry folk will "slum it" on these sights to get a feel for how the common people think of their shows. Are you looking for tru fan input?
over a year ago Zivasbikeseat said…
SgtBanzai,

1. Do you really think 6 seasons isn't a long term project?
2. What has gone out of style? The clothes they wear, the hair styles? or maybe Duckies Oxford sweaters??
3. TV shows use formulas.. Some work and some don't. This show has a formula that has proven to work over the years. Did you know that thousands of people in Germany meet weekly to watch this show in a auditorium? FANSHIP
4. With an on-call staff of Navy inteligence experts the writers need to balance a much needed human equation.
5. I am not sure if you work with someone that has a catch phrase like "get to the point" but we all have them and its a something we wait to hear on a weekly basis... Who hasn't said "on your 6 boss" and had a great giggle...
8. Why am I using numbers like you do???!!