My Little Pony Friendship is Magic How the buck do I sum up the courage to explain what a brony is and come clean about it to my parents?

Anamanaguchi posted on Feb 02, 2012 at 10:46PM
My dad would disown me and my mum would question my sexuality XD

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 15 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago KJBiggestFan said…
Who said you had to tell them? XD
over a year ago Anamanaguchi said…
I want to tell them
over a year ago btflash said…
well, you dont really know if your parents would do that. if they truly loved you, they'd accept your decisions to like certain things, even if those things seem strange.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Tawnyjay said…
Yeah, like btflash said! They're your parents, and they'll understand.
over a year ago StarWarsFan7 said…
smile
What I'd do is just tell them.

"Mom, Dad, there's this show that I want to talk about..."

I'd start like that. :)
over a year ago triq267 said…
Like everyone else has been saying, your parents will still except you for who you are, trust me. Just because they may not like that decision, doesn't mean that they'll love you any less. And it's not like your making some huge life desicion (sorry if i spelled that wrong), your just watching a TV show. It should be fine.
over a year ago shadirby said…
"Mom, Dad, there's this show that I want to talk about...It's called My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. I'm sure you've heard of it. Isn't it so weird how there's a male fanbase called bronies? Yeah? Well...I'm a brony. And that doesn't change me, I'm still your same kid." If they question your sexuality tell them married men watch the show too.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago brijbee said…
Apparently, a brony got kicked of his own home because his parents found out about the ponies.

No pressure.
over a year ago Anamanaguchi said…
My mum knows. It was the worst half hour of my life...so I'll just keep it a secret...
over a year ago triq267 said…
^Try not to worry. When my mom found out, I got banned from ponies FOREVER!!! What I found out worked for me was just act like nothing happened and continue watching and enjoying it. Once they found out that I really cared about this show and wouldn't stop just because they didn't like it, they started to except it.
over a year ago Alue26 said…
angry
I don't get it, why are some parents so angry about this? It's a bucking TV show! It's like The Simpsons or Friends, just with Ponies! Why are people so stupid to question their sexuality?

Take for an example, What If The Simpsons had the same popularity the show now gets? Would people be so mad about it? I just don't understand, and it pisses me off big time!!!
over a year ago btflash said…
^ well, The Simpsons really shouldn't be compared to this show.

For one thing, The Simpsons have been around for a LONG time, and MLP: FIM first aired in 2010.
For another thing, MLP: FIM was expected to have young female fans, but got an internet following of SO MANY devoted MALE fans that create art, music, animation, etc. in show of how much they love the show. Plus, MLP is incredibly song-heavy, while I have never heard a song on The Simpsons (keep in mind I dont watch the simpsons all that much)

Anyway,Anama, I really hope your parents come to accept your love for this amazing show.
over a year ago Kagaminelover88 said…
wink
XD Am I the only one who goes through this and feels like their reading about how to come out of the closet?

Anyway, if you just tell your parents, "Sit down, we need to talk..." You'll make it sound worse than it really is. Slip it in casually, don't make a big deal out of it. And if they're like, "What?!" Then just casually explain. You haven't done anything wrong, don't act like it. It's just a tv show, no big deal.
over a year ago SunshineFlower said…
Wow... my parent´s just ... they noticed I watch it, and they even support me with drawing them and write stories! Only my sister doesn´t understand me :D See, so many people here go through this, and they are all still alive! ( i hope so) Don´t panic and say that you ride into a fandom or something! I am sure they´ll understand.
over a year ago TrollBerry said…
This is my opinion but I just sorta hide it because of the whole "what your friends think" but personally I like it. Did you already tell them? If so then try the best you can and tell them why you like it and stuff like that... I can't explain because yea I'm a hider I guess... Theres no real correct answer to it because everyone sees it much more differently. Some of them don't have the same interests and some don't take the time to appreciate it. Not being sexist or anything but most parents would probably think it's weird for an older male to watch "such things" and stuff because of the media and the terms going around. And yeah, no one said you needed to tell them but the feelings being bottled up somewhat make you feel more embarrassed (at least for me) so I came to this here forums to let that emotions out.