Movies Does anyone here BUY movies?

TheCountess posted on Jan 17, 2008 at 10:45AM
I'm just curious, because it seems like so many people just download.
I've been collecting movies & music videos for about 20 years now, and really do have a sizable collection. Most of it is on VHS, but as long as my VCR works, there's a lot of stuff in the collection that's never been released on DVD, and quite possibly never will be. I've got a DVD player and some DVD's too, just not nearly as many.

Movies 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dazl said…
Yeah, I do. I won't buy something I know I'll only watch once. Still, I have 200-250 DVDs. no more space for them in my room, need to get them a new holder.
over a year ago TheCountess said…
boy, do I know how much space they can take up! I think there'a about that many DVD's in my collection, and at last count about 5,000 videos.
I bought quite a few of them 'used' just to save money, and have managed to get a hold of a lot of rare tapes. It's amazing to know that something I may have paid only $1-$5 for, is now available on DVD only, and with a $40 price on it. From what I've read in a few places, some of the tapes I own are better quality or more complete than their DVD counterparts. Most of the DVD's I own, I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but if I can get them for about the same price as a rental, or sometimes even cheaper... what the heck! I'll take the chance (at least when I can afford to).
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Oh my yes... I am anal that way. I have to have the original box and cover and stuff ;)
I was really addicted to it for a while. There was one time (when I was working 2 jobs) that I walked out of a video store with 80 used videos. There were a lot of foreign, silent, and other collectible movies in that stash. I spent just under $140 for them, but had one heck of a time trying to get home on the public transit buses afterwards. I think that at least 1/4 of them are totally out of print right now, and real treasures.
I love all my classic Disney videos. Once I started working and earning cash, I found my DVD collection grew. Especially world cinema. I love all the Studio Ghibli stuff.
over a year ago harold said…
Hooray for Studio Ghibli!

Yes, I, too, buy videos, both on tape and disc (DVD and CD-video, that is, not laserdisc - I never got around to buying one of those players). Like you, Countess, I'm also proud of my tape collection, which has many titles unavailable on DVD and unlikely to get released to DVD. The nice thing is that, with modern technology, I can burn them to DVD or CD-video to keep an archive copy that may outlast the original tape, especially when storing so many cassettes becomes problematic. Moisture and gravity and big problems...

My local Hollywood video store decided to phase out video cassettes back in 2006, and so they were selling them for $1 each...I, too, ended up with dozens of videos, many of them things that don't exist on DVD.

Great - I can sense another soapbox coming on! <groan>

I'd be interested in the results if you asked this as a question with picks, too, though.
I can't get videos anymore, and any shop that does sell them in Cork are really bad quality.
dazl - It's frustrating when you can't find tapes any more. I know video stores used to be a good source. Do you have any kind of 'thrift' or 'second-hand' type stores that might carry them? Sometimes rummage sales or estate sales are a good source too. In a lot of cases when people transition from tape to DVD, they almost give the tapes away.

harold - so, you're about as bad as me, eh? I used to get a lot from Blockbuster & Hollywood, as well as a few of the mom & pop type video stores. Now my main source for used tapes is a used bookstore. I've also sold or traded quite a few with them too. I wish I had the capabilty to burn some of them onto disc, but right now I'm lucky that I can even do emails and post. My computer is really primitive, and it doesn't seem like there's any chance of replacing or upgrading it in the near future.
Also, if you want to start a pick about it, go ahead. I can't add any pics or give more than 2 picks answers, so I pretty much only stick to picks with yes or no answers. That's part of why I started it as a forum question instead.
... a Soapbox, eh? looking forward to it! ;)

It's also frustrating that they don't make VCRs of as good quality as they used to. It seems like if you want to find a good one, you're really going to have to search, and then it's probably going to cost an arm and a leg.
The same goes for turntables, because of CDs.
I can kind of understand the change to DVD, but I wish it wasn't something that was basically forced upon us... and now the industry can't even make up it's mind about what kind of DVD format.
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
I to have a big stash of tapes and dvd's I find alot at yard sales but bought alot like you at the rental places when they decided to transition them out. and about the turntable I still use one, did you know K.T. Tunstill put out a vynel record with the release of her new CD. When I saw that in a interview I was like that I would buy.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
I second the nomination for Harold to make a Pick out of this ;)

He's so good at it.
over a year ago fuddle said…
I buy new DVDs for my kids or any movies I really love but I prefer to download them first and watch them to see if its worth it. I have 250 videos(mostly old disney movies/cartoons from my childhood) and 200 DVDs again mostly kids movies!
over a year ago amazondebs said…
i sometimes buy them but i mainly rent them from tesco
about 8 a month for a fiver a month (about $2.50)
over a year ago Zerstoren said…
If I can get something for free then I am not going to buy it. Yeah, I know, that sounds bad. But it's financially efficient XD
over a year ago Ratdog said…
I download most of my movies though I do go to watch a few in the cinema. Also, I know this sounds bad, but I sometimes sneak into other movies when I'm at the cinema and the movie I went to watch has finished. If I download a movie and I really like it, then I will buy it on DVD. I used to have a load of movies on VHS, but since they're obsolete now, I threw them out.
over a year ago atari said…
I don't have a working VCR, so I've had to replace a few of my old tapes, but I'm really obsessed with DVDs now. Special Features!! I just can't resist. I'm just a student with a badly paying summer job but I'll go to the $5 bin at Walmart because they always have at least 2 good movies in there. Also, Amazon is amazing. They'll always have something good for a good price.

My collection here at school numbers only 33, but I have more at home and I'm being really good at not spending so I can save up. I have loads on movies downloaded to my computer even though I prefer DVDs.
over a year ago becca85 said…
My DVD collection is numbered at 1084 and it is constantly growing.

My aunt introduced me to pawn-shopping. You can buy movies for cheaper then rental prices if you're lucky.
last edited over a year ago
I never tried looking there, but finances don't allow looking right now. :(