Movies SPOILER! 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' What did you think?

thecon posted on May 23, 2008 at 09:20AM
Just seen it a few hours ago, and I'm still digesting it now. Overall I think i'm happy with it, but there are niggles that I know won't go away.... like Mutt swinging through the Amazon rainforest, I could have done without that. Also wasn't liking when the skulls kind of 'merged' into the live Alien, that was a little too much.

I know people are gonna go at this movie saying "Aliens! Really? That's not very believable! AND a spaceship?!!! WTF?!" But it's no more unrealistic than a box made of gold that melts faces, or a cult leader removing a heart without any surgical equipment, or a cup that brings ever lasting life; you always have to check reality at the door for an Indy movie, that's an important thing to remember with this movie.

I loved the ending too. It nicely capped off the movie (and even the series) with Indy's line; "Gold translates as treasure. Knowledge was their treasure." That completely won me over and reigned in the moment, and the movie, with something that was just pure Indy... knowledge is his treasure too.

Can't wait to see it again!

What did the rest of you think?
last edited on May 23, 2008 at 09:21AM

Movies 5 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago chel1395 said…
I enjoyed it. It was funny and exciting and I suppose that's all I really wanted from an Indy movie. I'm not a die-hard Indy fan, but I'm familiar enough with the first three movies that there are a few things that seemed out of place. However, overall, it was enjoyable and I will definitely see it again when it comes out on DVD.
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
I really enjoyed it and can over look the silly stuff becausse thats what makes Indy what it is, they always have some crazy stuff, but I would see it again just to see what I missed.
over a year ago Shandiii said…
I actually didn't mind the aliens. I thought the movie was great!

The only things that bothered me about the movie was that Indy didn't punch Mac in the face more. Lol, he deserved it.
Also, Marion's character annoyed me a bit. :/
over a year ago harold said…
I was bothered by the Tarzan stuff, too: since the cars (well, truck and boat) clearly moved on a curve along the cliff to come back around toward him, it really didn't seem necessary for him to swing repeatedly. He could just have easily climbed out of the vine, looked up to see that the cars circling around toward him, and swung on one vine to land in the driver's seat. That could have solved the Tarzan problem and spared us some pathetic CGI.

Edit: I really liked the film overall, though. I wasn't bothered by the aliens at all, except that Spielberg made it really obvious from the beginning that it was going to be aliens. I would have liked it better if it had been a little less clear what was going to happen from the start. I always like some suspense with my films.

I didn't think the wrapping up of all loose ends at the end was necessary or even desirable. It felt, to me, a good deal like George Lucas' belabored ending of episode III with the endless "Now here's what happens next" sequences. But these are pretty minor issues; I thought the supporting cast was brilliant - how could they not be? - and the action generally progressed well.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago tkcasta said…
I thought it was absolutly aweful! I can't believe I wasted my money! The stunts were terrible, the green screen was ridiculous and totally offputting, it wasn't even fun! What a waste of time! It's not even worth remembering! I am a huge Indiana Jones fan and this was so dissappointing!