Merlin on BBC How Much Do Y'All Think It Will Stick to The Legends?

babybell posted on Nov 09, 2009 at 10:34PM
Okay so first... this probably contains spoilers for those who do not know what happens in the most common of the famous myths and legends involving Arthur and Merlin etc.

The series has obvious differences: In most of the accepted legends, though i think the Welsh ones have some difference, this is completely different. Gwen was not Morgana's servant, Morgana and Merlin were enemies, Merlin & Arthur were not roughly the same age, everyone knew Merlin was a warlock, Gauis didn't exist, and Merlin's primary connection was with Uther, who was King of England and pretended to be some king of cornwall's husband so he could sleep with Ygraine and then the guy died and it was nothing like the show.

Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE the differences, i wasn't complaining or correcting (huh, like you can correct. It's a legend. With many different versions.) I was just wondering if we could start a discussion over which bits we think will change and the roles the characters will play if not their... i hesitate to say original ones. Because there is mass overlapping of characters. First:

Mordred. I think he was the son of Morgana and Arthur, (who later turned out to be half siblings :P) and he ended up killing Arthur at Camnlann since he had left and Mordred had taken over the kingdom in his stead so Arthur tried to get it back and was mortally injured, but rests at Avalon to return again (hence the Once and Future King). What do you people reckon will be HIS role in this story? The dragon said if Mordred lives Arthur will die, and that bares some relevance to this, so how much else of it is true? Do you think he bares any relation to Morgana or/and Arthur? Do you think they're half siblings?

Guinevere/Arthur/Lancelot:

We already have seen signs of a brewing love triangle here. How do you think this will turn out? Will Guinevere eventually become Arthur's Queen and yet have an illicit affair with Lancelot?

Morgana/Merlin:

I think they were enemies, weren't they? And the dragon did say something about her being a danger to him if she ever realised the full extent of her powers. Does this mean they were become enemies in the show, if she realised her full potential?

Merlin/Viviane/Nimueh:

Okay so this is already seriously mucked up (again, not that that's a bad thing. I LOVE this way). Nimueh/Viviane were the same person, and since Nimueh was evil and is dead and certainly not Merlin's apprentice, and Viviane is going to be introduced by Merlin falling in love with her in episode 10 as Olaf's daughter, it is VERY different. Maybe they both represent the two sides of Viviane? The evil side, who caged Merlin with her magics, and the side Merlin loves?

I open this up to discussion: state your thoughts here, and thoughts on any other topics about the contrasting things that happen. :D

Merlin on BBC 4 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago knight_princess said…
Here’s some of my points reflecting what you have said:

♦ Merlin doesn't fall in love with Viviane, its Arthur.

♦ Mordred looks about seven. Morgana and Arthur wouldn't have 'done it' already, they'd be a bit young, and this is a family show. Oh, and Uther would have been furous if he found out, and Morgana and Arthur show no signs of 'that sort of relationship'...
♦ I like Merlin being young. And the same age as Arthur. And the fact he is soooooooo HOT.

♦ Morgana is likely to turn evil, she has a coldness about her.
In the 2nd and last episodes of Series 1, she was really evil. She’ll probably be the reason for the death of Uther whenever that will be. She is getting more and more powerful in each episode. She’ll probably end up killing Merlin too, or almost.

♦ Arthur and Morgan ARE not likely to be half siblings. No wonder in the legend Mordred killed his father, because all his genetics would’ve got mixed up and he would’ve come out psycho …

♦ Lancelot is likely to run away with Gwen. He’s just one of those characters who will unfortunately ‘stick around’

♦ Gaius is real, in the TV series.
over a year ago heartmerlin2 said…
hmmm
Personally, i don't want to think about it to hard, it could change my veiws on the show and i dont want that to happen, coz I LOVE IT SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Soz!
over a year ago BlackSandals said…
They will do the love triangle between Arthur/Gwen/Lancelot, that's for sure;
Morgana will turn evil;
Uther will die anytime soon and as someone said above, Morgana will have something to do with it.

These are just my thoughts, anyways!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Shepard14 said…
Well
Let me see
I think that Morgana will turn evil and she will have a part to play in Uthers death( Arthur will find out, vow revenge and Gwen will be his confidant)

I hope that Lancelot packs his bags and leaves becuase i am all for Arhur/Gwen, they are perfect for each other

AAAAANNNNNDDDDD.......I think that this season will be my fave so far......HAHAHAHAH ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥