Heroes Maya and Alejandro

harold posted on Oct 04, 2007 at 04:19PM
It occurred to me that Maya and Alejandro are sort of the inverse of the Marvel characters Cloak & Dagger (link. Instead of Dagger exuding an aura of light which Cloak would absorb to quell the darkness, Maya exudes an aura of evil darkness, which Alejandro then absorbs so that it doesn't overwhelm her or anyone else in the vicinity. Symbiotic pairs are not uncommon to comics, so it's interesting to see them here in "Heroes".

Heroes 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dramallama56 said…
I think you make a really good point here. Heroes does seem to be taking elements from Marvel and comics in general for the new series (for example: the virus that's occurring is quite similar to the Legacy Virus in X-Men) and I find these two characters you mentioned extremely interesting. Nice point made.
over a year ago harold said…
Well, I'm not the first to liken "Heroes" to Marvel comics, though most other comparisons on Fanpop have been with "X-Men" in particular (see link for a recent example, and link for dave's original thoughts for an early example).

What is interesting to me is how far Maya (and everyone else around her) can go into the darkness before all the others are irreversibly dead. I was sure those policia had bit the dust, and was astonished to see them recover. I wonder if there is a set threshold, or whether it was just a case of the writers not wanting to make a protagonist do something "too evil". Often studios make these sorts of decisions, such as "killing abusive kidnappers is OK, but killing police would make her seem too much like a villain", which ignores the character's reality and focuses instead on anticipated audience perception.
over a year ago dojiboy9 said…
i think it's a matter of time. maybe..

alejandro used his power less than a minute later.. so they didnt fully die...
Ho-hum. It looks like Maya and Alejandro will just be more Sylar-fodder. <yawn> Is anyone else getting sick and tired of the Sylar sideshow taking time away from the interesting parts of the show? It's like he the cuddly bad guy mascot for the show: not really important, but he gets a lot of attention...

My only hope is that Maya and Alejandro will somehow either defeat him or he will find that, unable to catch them unawares with a rock, he'll slowly find some sort of redemption. That would be a suitably Hollywood plot.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
Ah, Harold but if Sylar kills Alejandro he may not be able to contain Maya's power. I don't think Sylar will kill them. I think Maya's power scares Sylar a little as well. Also, the cockroach you mentioned elsewhere, I think it may be an ongoing thing throughout the series.
over a year ago Kuffmeister said…
I originally thought there was some major issue with the cockroach some defining aspect which we were yet to fully comprehend and it would seem i was very wrong. Its appearances now almost appear to be some kind of sign off!!

I am actually hoping Sylar does away with the twins Maya's perpetual anguish bores me now. He then finds himself unable to cope with their power's and sends himself into the Darkness maybe to return Season 6 with new found Zen.

last edited over a year ago
I suppose the other possibility - only just occurred to me - is that Sylar will convince Maya and Alejandro to believe that the other mutants are the bad guys, pitting the aura of darkness against each of the others...at least long enough that Sylar can waltz up and crack each hero's head open with a rock.

Sylar's gettin' all Stone Age on your ass!