Harry Potter Avoiding Spoilers next weekend?

tinydancer posted on Jul 15, 2007 at 11:48AM
This time next week I plan to have finished reading Deathly Hallows, and may even be reading it again to catch the bits I miss, cos I know I'm gonna be speed reading - I'm dying to know what happens!

But what I'm wondering is how people are going to avoid coming across spoilers before they read the book themselves? It's not too bad for me, I'm in Ireland so the book will go on sale at 12.01, as I understand it will worldwide, but 12.01 LOCAL time right?? So how will people who live in different time zones cope with this? I know even though I'll have the book early I'm still gonna be avoiding all media and the internet, cos you know someone is gonna post the ending somewhere and I so don't want to read about what happens from any where other than the book?

What does everyone else plan to do? It's hard to avoid all media and internet, and I know I'll be dying to come on here and see what other people think about the book - should be some interesting topics after we have all read the book!

I don't even know how much sense this post makes, it was just something that came into my head today when reading an article about avoiding spoilers, and wanted to see what other people thought about it?!
save

Harry Potter 16 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
Well, I shall be leaving the house at 10/10.30pm local time and shall hopefully be the first in the queue at my local Waterstone's. So hopefully I'll avoid any spoilers.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago megloveskyle said…
I have been freaking out about just signing on the internet that day and spoilers everywhere. Luckily, I am moving they day the book comes out so my internet will be temporaily disconnected until Monday. So that takes care of one source. Next, I wouldn't turn the TV on until I finish the book. Or, if you do I would just turn it to cartoons no news. And I'm definatley not getting on fanpop until I finish the book. LoL..I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Shandiii said…
Yeah, I'm planning on getting the book at Borders and then staying indoors with no internet, radio, or tv until I'm finished.
over a year ago PotterGal said…
Well, i'm getting mine from Amazon, so i just have to keep myself away from the Internet and TV that day.
Did you guys see that video on YouTube of that guy who drove past a whole line of people waiting outside a Borders at midnight for their copy of HBP, and he just shouted out the ending to them? I felt so sorry for those people!
over a year ago tinydancer said…
I heard about it, that's the sort of thing I'd be worried about, people can be so mean :(
over a year ago PotterGal said…
Yeah, that's why i'm kind of happy i'm getting it through Amazon, so i won't have to stand in a line where any random person could shout out the ending. I would be SO mad if that happened to me. :(
I'm gonna pick mine up, but I doubt there will be many people where I'm going cos it is a small enough bookshop, should hopefully avoid stupid people like that! :) I don't want anything to ruin this book for me!
over a year ago Jonapello23 said…
I'm getting it at midnight at my local bookstore.
people will probaly be looking to the last page and shouting out what happens.
Thats why im bringing my ipod and turning it up really loud so
no one can tell me anything.
Also im not going near TV, Radio, or the internet until i finish it.
over a year ago anti_Jate said…
im going to listen to my ipod also when i get the book to avoid assholes who think its funny to ruin my harry potter experiance by telling the end

on friday i am stoking up on the essentials. soda, chips, sandwiches, etc. and i am staying in my house all day. i am not turning on any kind of technology more sophisticated than a lightbulb until i at least finish it once. then i will probably get on here, say my bit, then re read it. thats pretty much what i did for HBP. i know, its pathetic
over a year ago kyoosuke said…
How to prevent spoilers from ruining the ending for me? Well, when I get my book, I'll go straight to the ending, so nobody will ruin it, except me! HA :P
over a year ago meeee said…
i'm irish and will be collecting my copy from a small bookshop too but just incase i'm gonna bring my mp3player then i'll go on the internet and stuff but i wont go on any HP websites
over a year ago michael said…
I'm going to Costco tomorrow morning grabbing my copy and then try to live in a shell.
It's so good to hear I'm not the only one who's gonna be cutting myself off from the outside world til I've finished the book! I agree with anti_Jate, gonna get everything I need today and then lock myself in my room so no one can ruin it for me! I can't believe it's out tomorrow! So excited, and also a bit sad that it's all gonna be over! Looking forward to seeing what everyone here on fanpop thinks about it when everyone has read it! :)
over a year ago caintil31 said…
i'm not going on the internet, watch the tv, or read the paper(just in case). i'm just gonna sit in my room and read. when i'm done i'll come out
over a year ago jenny99 said…
arrr i can't wait i'm doin basically what everyone else is no tv, internet, radio, mobile...i'm not risking anything...i'm going to a small bookshop as well so to prevent long queues and people shouting out the ending..i couldn't believe it when i read bout that it's so mean...i hate anyone who trys and spoil it for anyone else.
over a year ago kyoosuke said…
Can't you see? Harry Potter has turned us (or at least, will turn us) into some kind of anti-social sociopath! This is not right!
Oh well, I guess that's the price we all have to pay for being such a Potter fan :)