Harry Potter Reflections on "Order of the Phoenix" *movie spoilers*

cressida posted on Jul 11, 2007 at 11:42AM
Well, I should begin with the good bit:

-The Kiss was HOT!
-DA Meetings were striking.
-The Battle Scene was AMAZING.
-Sirius appearing in the flames - WAY better than in GoF.
-Great casting of Luna.
-I loved how the Gryffindores were listening to teenage music in the common room. Subtle, but very effective.

Actually, all of the visuals of the movie were fantastic. This seemed to be the speciality of Davis Yates. Unfortunately, my praise seems to end there.

I had BIG issues with:

-The opening scene. Harry pulling his wand out in front of Dudley's friends, Dudley actually bullying Harry....and the dementors were far more scary in PoA.

-The general fact that this movie would be incomprehensiable to a non-Harry Potter reader. While this doesn't affect fans of this spot, David Yates didn't feel the need to explain SOOO many of the subtleties (and not even the subtleties) of the plot: who Tonks was, the naming process of the DA, etc.

-Cho Chang being the informant (!!!!!!!) Even if it was prompted by Veritaserum, it changes the entire dynamic of why Harry and Cho don't work out.

-The Costumes. I think I counted at least 10 different times characters wore horizontal stripes, and many of them were at the same time. Ron and Hermione were matching at least twice, forcing me to think of those young Korean couples who purposefully match their pants and shirts.

-The non-subtle 'symbolic' climbing of the stairs while Umbridge and McGonagall fought. Once Umbridge struck a point and McGonagall went a step down, I just rolled my eyes.

-Fred & George's exit was rather superficial and lackluster. Eh. Where was Peeves?

-Given how brilliant the fighting and Battle Scene was, Sirius's death was rather silly (the way he fell back and shriveled a tad before being taken away).

I'm going to remember of so many more in just a few minutes but I am still so riled that I just need to calm down and organize my thoughts. I'm sure other people loved it and thought it the best movie of the sequence but at most OoP is second-place on my list.

What do you think?
last edited on Jul 11, 2007 at 11:49PM

Harry Potter 39 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago choci33_lover said…
waiitt have you seen it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!
over a year ago cressida said…
Indeed. One of the benefits of being on the early end of global time differences: I enter the New Year before most other countries -- and I can see movies before other people (provided they open on the same day worldwide).
over a year ago megloveskyle said…
I have never been so disappointed. Maybe I hyped the movie up in my mind. I just wasn't happy with David Yates. Some of the scenes needed finishing. I could see his idea and where he was going but that's it. The scene where Sirius dies was horrible. That was supposed to be the saddest scence in the movie and it didn't do justice. I noticed the horizontal stripes also. Actually, I noticed it A LOT. I think they could have cut out a lot of dragged out scenes and made the fight at the ministry of magic a little more elaborate. They were good just not great. I think my expectations are a little high. But why shouldn't they be? The Goblet of Fire was fantastic. David Yates in my opinion didn't live up to the other directors.

O yea..another thing my fiance noticed before me was the scene where they are going over th water in London looks really chessey. Kind of like old school Godzilla effects. You could tell that it was filmed on a green screen. I am just glad I have the book to fall back on in 10 days or I would be one unhappy camper right now! Nothing can take away my Harry Potter high!!

And the actress the played Luna was very whimsical. I loved her voice!
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago caintil31 said…
i thought it was the worst film adaption of any of the books.

1.they were missing so much in the book and there were a few gaps in the plot.

2.Sirius's death was horrible. he wasn't killed with the killing curse in the book, he just fell through the veil.

3.They should have also included the other rooms in the department of mysteries. In the fighting scene all of the kids were fighting but in the book everyone got injured and were unable to fight except for harry and neville.

4. Should have been more Kreacher. Sirius showed a lot more hatred towards him in the book. He yelled at him once in the movie.

5. They didn't mention Hermione and Ron becoming prefects.

6. They didn't really go into a lot of detail with harry and voldemort being connected.

7. No Firenze!

I totally didn't even notice that they didn't mention the prefects and no Firenze! NO!!!
over a year ago hapaganthae said…
This was personally my favorite, but I can tell that I'm one of the very few who thought so. I thought generally (with the exception of the deplorable beginning), that it was artfully filmed. And am I the only one who thinks that this film had a slight Luna/Harry bend to it? Probably just wishful thinking :)
over a year ago anti_Jate said…
i agree with hapaganthae with the artfull filming and harry luna. for gods sake they held hands!!!

im going to have to say that it was better than i expected it to be...but then again, if it was what i expected then it would be dog crap.

i thought that the DA meetings were pretty corny...
i also hated how many times harry got hugged by sirius and sirius was stroking his head. i understand that they love eachother like family but i thought numerous times they looked like gay lovers. and the picture of dumbledore cradling harry in his arms??? i mean COME ON. i kinda liked the whole internal battle thing with harry at the end of the ministry scene, but it wasnt in the book at all!! they need to stop adding things that wernt in the book and stick to what was, since they cut out so much already.

cressida is right, the kiss scene was pretty steamy, but i thought it was suppost to be really awkward, not a 'get a room' makeout scene.

i absolutly hate the new dumbledore. richard harris was so good. he ruined the HP movies for me when he died. this new guy, i forget his name, just isnt authentic to me.

i didnt really like how they made bellatrix lestrange look mentally ill. i mean, yeah, she is, but i dont think its that visible.

they should not have made sirius die by killing curse. to me, that just makes him seem like every other nameless person who has died by the hands of voldemorts supporters. i thought him falling through the veil was like saying to us 'hey, theres bigger things than us people out there and they are much more powerful than we are' because isnt that what dumbledore was trying to say to harry in the book? that because he can love he is just as strong as a horribly powerful wizard.

i didnt like how towards the end it skipped around alot. okay, harry is in the dormatorys packing, oh wait, hes in dumbledores ofice right after the fight...it just didnt make sense to me. and the dumbledore talk was way to short. that is one of my favorite harry/dumbledore talks in the whole series (books that is) and i feel they completly ruined it.

the prophecy talking out loud?? what was that all about?? i thought harry choosing to tell ron and hermione was kind of like a big step for him. 'ok harry your not alone anymore, you dont have to do this by yourself.' sure, all of tehm hearing doesnt change their support but he had time to stew it over with the fact that he is carrying this burden by himself. then when dumbledore told him to tell ron and hermione (second favorite harry dumbledore talk) it was like the weight lifting off of his sholders.

im going to go read OotP again so im fresh for DH. this has seriously pissed me off, although i did go and see it on my own freewill. they should have spaced out the release date of the book and movie further.

even though there were some serious flaws, this was my favorite harry potter film. the acting was MUCH better than previously and i thought the filmatography was fantastic. wow i wrote alot
yeah, as far as plot was concerned, there were quite a few holes, but htink about it. I think Order of the Phoenix is a bloody difficult book to do a movie off of, not only because of the intricacy (I know I spelt that wrong) of the plot, but because of the movement and speed of the book. Its not exactly something that lends itself to movie script transposition, so Potter purists like myself and all of you are just going to have to suck up the fact that staying true to the books would be a theatrical disaster, financially and time-wise (the movies would be almost 5 hours long, who wants to sit through that?). Past the unavoidable disapointment that we all had with this movies lack of adherence to HP canon, I thought this film performed admirably.

The Harry/Luna thing seemed awfully brazen to me, and knowing the sway that Jo often has on these movies, I couldn't help but think (or hope rather) that this could be a premonition of DH. I'm probably just grasping at straws though.

I also agree with anit_Jate that the acting had taken a strong turn for the better. I can't watch Sorceror's stone now, and not cringe at every bad reaction that Dan Radcliffe made. Its good to see that their becoming full-fledged actors.
Great points everybody (for in favor and against parts of the movie)!

One part that I remember especially liking (hooray) was Sirius's troubled/anguished expressing as he was exiting the Black Family Tree room. It was a moment of pure emotion -- god, I love Gary Oldman.

In terms of whether Avada Kedavra was the source of Sirius's death or not - that really didn't trouble me. In the book (and it's open right now on my lap) it says that Bellatrix's spell hits Sirius in the chest and "the laughter had not quite died from his face, but his eyes widened in shock". I guess I always pictured it being an Unforgivable Curse; it doesn't say either which way what spell it was but it had to be severe enough to shock/stun/harm Sirius AND cause him to fall into the Veil. 'Course many of the Wizarding Spells could do that ... but I had pictured it as Bellatrix ACTUALLY killing Sirius, not that the veil itself was the death-inducing factor. Just that it was the divide between the living and the dead, as Luna and Harry could hear the voices while the others could not (similar to the feature of the thestrals).

Yeah, the moment of hand-holding between Harry & Luna was...interesting. Actually, the movie was decent in accentuating the upcoming relationships: Ginny looking back when Harry went to Cho, Ron's troubled moment when Gawp expressed his affection for Hermione.

The thing that troubles me now is that David Yates had already been hired as Half-Blood Prince director. Alfonso Cuaron, come back please! OR hire Kenneth Branagh...
I'm glad they have Gary as Sirius too, having a half-rate actor for Sirius just wouldn't do.

The moment of hand-holding wasn't the only Harry/Luna thing in the movie either. Musn't forget about the 4 seconds of eye contact in the Forbidden Forest. Plus, the Harry/Luna scenes were at quite obviously juxtaposed points in the movie, where Harry most needed the emotional support. He was pretty fragile after he found out how much of the school thought he was a liar, and who was there to comfort him but Luna herself. Sirius is dead, and who comes to Harry's aid but Luna with some words of wisdom. Who are the only two that can see the Thestrals and hear the voices behind the veil? You catch my drift. I realize I am perseverating about this, but this whole Harry/Luna emphasis in the movie really caught me off-gaurd.

I think David Yates will do a good HBP, though I know its too early to make judgements about that now.
over a year ago PotterGal said…
So..i saw it yesterday and i have to say that maybe i was slightly disappointed with the movie, because i had such high expectations for it.

Anyway, i did think the scenes moved by much too fast and so it did not feel like a whole year went by.

The battle scene at the end was visually stunning, but i would have liked to see more actual combat between the DA and the Death Eaters other than the Death Eaters just randomly apparating in front of wherever the DA ran. In short, the battle scene was too short.

I thought Imelda Staunton was AMAZING as Umbridge. She seemed so sweet at the beginning but she was so EVIL inside. She was exactly as i imagined Umbridge to be and i found the detention scene really awful. And i thought the part where she slapped Harry was brilliant, even though it wasn't in the book.

Helena Bonham Carter was also BRILLIANT, but it was unfortunate that she was hardly in the movie. She was also exactly as i imagined her, but i did find it annoying that during the final battle, she was just flying around instead of actually fighting.

Sirius' death scene was not how i imagined as all and i think it wasn't handled as well as it could of been. Because of that, i found Trelawney's sacking scene sadder than Sirius' death scene. And yes, i did nearly cry at the sacking scene. :P

Daniel Radcliffe was so much better in this film! I was really surprised at how well he played an angry and misunderstood Harry. I do think though, that Ron and Hermione did not have enough lines. It may seem weird, but it's true.

The Occlumency scenes with Snape were really really good and also even funny. I loved that bit when Snape saw Harry's memory of Harry hugging Sirius and he said, "I may vomit." Alan Rickman did that line so well. It was hilarious! However, i was pretty sad that Snape's Worst Memory was practically 10 seconds long..

All in all, there were many points of this movie that i did not like at all, but it was a good fun to watch and i loved how so much of the dialogue was straight from the book.
I forgot about the slap! That was BRILLIANT. A great addition.

Now that 24 hours has passed since seeing it, I think I might see it again and have a better time. I really did hype it up too much and now that I've ranted, I can watch it just for watchings sake.
Wow..i said that EXACT same thing that you just said to my brother just now, Cressida. LOL.
I'm going to see it again next week without all the hype now. Maybe i'll enjoy it more. :)
over a year ago snoznoodle said…
The fact that they didn't say the name of the curse that hit Sirius always gave me hope. That's how i stuck to the theory that he was still alive. They ruined it with Avada Kedavra!
GRRR! I think I like the 4th better mainly because it was a better story.
I missed the whole Harry being unable to understand Cho at all and him totally screwing it up that was awesome and they missed it out. And what about the whole Quibbler thing?

I loved how they added the 'emotional range of a teaspoon' comment and a lot of original dialogue like Molly saying to Sirius Harry wasn't James. It just didn't have the same affect as in the book which sux.

And Snape's Worst Memory made me VERY angry! I wanted to see James and Lily! >:z

It was good... Im just not sure I may have to see it again to decide what I actually think about it lol.
We did see James (and Sirius) in the memory though. Just not Lily.

Did anyone else catch the moment in the battle when Sirius calls Harry "James"?
Oh yeah, i really liked that bit! What was Harry's expression when Sirius called him James? I was too busy looking at Sirius fighting to see Harry's face. Some people say he looked sad, others say he looked angry. Did anyone here see his expression?
over a year ago tinydancer said…
I still haven't seen the film (will go tomorrow I think) but I'm glad to see what everyone thought of it, cos now I know what to expect! I always like the films in hindsight, but at the time I'm always mad cos they've left so much out/put new things in (that's the worst!) so now I know the biggest things that are missing, and maybe I can try and forget I know the book so well, and just enjoy it as a film! :)
If they hired David Yates to do Half-Blood Prince is he also doing Deathly Hallows? And Cressida maybe able to answer this one.---> I know that JK Rowling has said in interviews why they hire a different director almost every time. I can't remember the reason for the live of me. I know it's on the DVD extras because that's where I saw it. I may have to break those out again. And I like everybody's idea about going back to the movies to see it again. I am going to give it a go again.
over a year ago Aileendamen said…
I didn't like the film, and almost every one of you have named things why! I'm glad i'm not the only one who didn't like parts of the films!just a few adds.

why did Harry enter Snapes head? Where was the (don't know the englisch word sorry) brain pot where the put there memories in. Its almost like Harry meets Snapes occlumenty level. That bugged me!

Why was everyone of da intact at the end of the fights (those scenes where way to short!!)No one was hurt wich was weird!

I liked Luna.

there was no explenation who Tonks or romeo where.

the fact that Sirius is hit with the avada kedavra may get in the way...(you never know how book seven is going to turn out!)(didn't Harry get a mirror in the end of book 5 in the owl post? or is it the beginning of book 6?)

o well I just hope that J.K can provide a good and satisfying ending to the harry potter books.

over a year ago fadedsg02 said…
for real.....was it worth it? or should i save my $10 and read the book again.....i hated what they did to GOF, did they tear apart the story again, like take away characters that end up changing the entire story like winky in 4?
i remember when sirius called harry james and i remember looking over to harry to catch his expression but i was too late. i really wish i had caught it though, just like pottergal said. if i had to guess the expression he had (not trying to interpret, i totally missed it) i would think he would be sad. i sure would be. poor sirius...maurauders dropping like flies
over a year ago tubby2002 said…
The movie was nothing like i expected it to be. The one thing that really made me mad was the prophecy. They didnt say the whole thing. I understand they need to cut somethings to make the movie and what not, but I would have thought that the prophecy was important enough to at least put the whole thing in there. Now he doesnt know that it was almost Nevile that the prophecy was meant for or anything like that...

I liked that Sirius called Harry James during the fight, I didnt see Harry's reaction to it though, I too was watching Sirius fight...I hate the way that he died.

There were a whole lot of things that were different and made me a little upset but they have already been mentioned so I am not going to say them again.

I think though that I am going to watch it again next week sometime so that maybe I will enjoy it a little more.
over a year ago Shandiii said…
I guess I had too high expectations for the movie, it kind of sucked for me.
Things were explained enough, and I agree with almost all of your points.
My boyfriend, who hasn't read the books, was confused and I can see why. It was way too jumpy.
And I also believe everyone's lines were cut way too short.
The dementors looked better in PoA, but the Sirius talking to Harry through the fire scene was a lot more like what I imagined in my head when I read the books.
And to answer your question, hapaganthae, I would sit through a 5 hour adaption of the book if it was anything like it should be.

I almost hope that some of the things the directors leave out of the movies play a huge role in the last book, so that the director of the last movie has no idea what to do because the other directors cut too much stuff.
over a year ago boobud said…
i decided to spilt the movie up in 2 parts .. 1. visual 2. story line with the book
the visual and actual movie part of the movie was great! .. i absolutely loved the fighting scenes and how the order and deatheaters apparate ..

but i must say it was terrible at following the book ... so much was left out ... and there wasn't enough detail on much of the important factors ..
i was really disappointed that dumbledore and harry didn't go back to dumbledore's office in the end and that was where harry was told about the prophecy.. i was really looking forward to that part .. :( ... when harry heard the prophecy in the movie >> wouldn't lucius have been able to hear it as well >> therefore going to voldemort and telling him what he heard ???

but i loved the movie regardless ..... especially the visual effects and the flashbacks!!
over a year ago boobud said…
i forgot to put this in my comment above ... i loved the casting for Luna Lovegood ... she was sooo good!!!
over a year ago duckgoddess said…
I liked this film and I think they pulled it off; OotP is a bloody long book with lots of subplots. I don't mind the changes and the stuff they cut out because as filmmakers, that's what they have to do to make a film enjoyable and 2 hours long. Remember, they have to appeal to audiences who haven't read the books although I am concerned that people who haven't read the books won't get it, there was quite a lot of stuff only fans would understand

Bellatrix, Luna and Umbridge were absolutely awesome! The actors played their characters so well and the Umbridge scenes were easily one of the best scenes in the film. I also think they handled the DA lessons well as well as the Occlumency. Alan Rickman was brilliant. Voldemort's possession of Harry was also done well. The scenes between Harry and Sirius were touching, especially when Sirius says, "When all this is over, we'll be a proper family" (or something like that) and fans will know that they won't be because Sirius dies.

Sirius' death was rushed. They didn't show the characters grieving, it wasn't given enough time. I also think it was a little anticlimactic, there should have been a duel between Bellatrix and Sirius to build up a climax. I also think they should have done a proper scene with the Prophecy because it's one of the most important things in the books and explains why exactly Voldemort went after Harry as a baby. Way too rushed in the movies, audiences may not care. The acting between the trio was awkward and it kind of felt like they were just repeating the same things they said in the previous scene. Although the teaspoon scene was good and it was nice to see the trio laughing.

There was quite a lot of subtle romantic stuff as well like Ginny's looks when Harry goes after Cho, Ron and Hermione (why did their clothes match???). As a Ginny fan, I was delirious with happiness when they foreshadowed how powerful she is as a witch when she did the Reducto spell. AWESOME!

There were a lot of new characters introduced like Tonks and Kingsley. But non-book readers might not know exactly who Tonks is so filmmakers should have either left her out completely or give her a proper introduction; although they might need her for Film 6 for the RemusTonks plotline. Kingsley didn't need to be introduced.

Oh, and the 'Sirius thinks Harry is James' subplot was handled pretty well considering they cut out most of Snape's memory. I loved it when Sirius called Harry 'James' and Harry's expression afterwards. Beautiful.

(Sorry this is so long)
duckgoddess - You saw Harry's expression after Sirius called him, James? I missed it. Can you tell me what it was? :)
over a year ago jenny99 said…
i totally hyped the film up way to much, and it obviously didn't reach my expectations but i still enjoyed watching it. i loved the casting of bellatrix, luna, umbridge, i fought they were ace..but what was mrs figg didn't like her at all...gutted there wasen't the fight between harry malfoy and george (i think), that would of been well cool to see them all bloodied up...this is no order it's just random when i remember things LOL...i thought filch sat eating a sandwitch and then those chocolates was a fun extra thing to put in...really cute when fred and george were comforting that little kid i thought that was majorly sweet...i liked the way in which harry twiched his head to show us that his scar was hurting...i love sirius to bits and i think is no nice when him and harry hug....what i hate is how much they missed out from the book..but i credit the way the director just because the book is so long and has so much detail an i think it cut it down all right...the way tonks trips over like she does in the book was a really nice touch.

ron and hermione on the sofa laughing..hehe...the was sirius was in the fire was so so so much better that film 4... disapointed at the bit sirius died wasen't nearly as sad as it should of been...the fight between voldemort and dumbledore i liked a lot and the possession of harry was ace he looked really evil as well...thatr reminds me umbridge being chased by the dragon firework...fantastic only good bit in fred and geoges departure.

i kinda liked it when sirius called harry james in a way but at the same time i didn't...hated that poor excuse of the talk between harry and dumbledore..utter poo...where was the shouting and the smashing up stuff...talking of shouting...at sirius house that was not shouting that he did at hermione and ron it was so feeble...arrr...really iratated me that did...i think all i have to say...can't wait till friday now the last book/saturday morning...ARRR also missed the occlumency bit when it's snapes memorys because i need the toilet...ARRR....ow and Grawp is not quite what i expected...loved it when umbridge got carted off...hehe...ow also what i love bout umbridge the extent of her PINK wardrobe...all of it was puckable...also agree with cressida about the music/i think it was ordinary boys but yeah i thought that was effective..one of my friends however didn't like it and though it rather random and odd..but yeah..the film was defo better than the 4th one.

over a year ago Shandiii said…
I thought Harry's expression after Sirius calling him 'James' was kind of a surprised look mixed with a little bit of hurt.
over a year ago fawkes716 said…
I thought the movie was amazing, even though they cut alot out.
Harry's expression when Sirius said "Nice one James!" was like surprised and happy.
over a year ago HarryPotterFan said…
On the whole, for me, the movie was disappointing. I found myself laughing in disbelief at some of the decisions the director made...for example the dementors, the horizontal stripe fetish and the Umbridge/McGonnagall stair thing. I hated the fact they didn't stay true to the story, I imagined so many things differently...Kreacher, Tonks and the Room of Requirement to name a few. Overall the film felt rushed. Also I didn't like this Dumbledore, he's too agressive.
However the battle scene was stunning, the way Dumbledore escaped from the Minister was unexpected but amazing and Umbridge was played very well. The Occlumency lessons were done brilliantly too.
Oh yeah, just like HarryPotterFan said, what was with the Trio wearing horizontal stripes so much during the movie? I think there was one scene when ALL of them were wearing stripes at the same time. It was pretty weird.
was it just me or did it seem like the went through the same door going into the hall of prophecys and going into the death room?
over a year ago fadedsg02 said…
i was watching a bootleg and rewound it when it got to sirius calling harry james....he didnt have any reaction at all he merely looked at him the same as he did right beforehand
over a year ago caintil31 said…
did anyone else notice how they were doing the levicorpus spell. Even though Harry didn't discover it until the 6th book when he found it in the half blood prince's potions book. i thought that was odd.
PotterGal - I think Harry's expression after Sirius calls him James was how Shandiiii described it - surprised and hurt

Oh yeah did anyone think that the way the Death Eaters and Order members turned into black (DE) and white/silver (Order) wraiths was really weird? I'm pretty sure they couldn't do that in the book
over a year ago Kirsty said…
Wow this is pretty much what I've been thinking about it! But one more thing to add - what was that jacket Harry was wearing at the end? Me and my friends were amazed by it!
Thanks Shandii and duckgoddess. :)

And at first i thought the black and white smoke thing was them apparating, ot something like that, but it looked kind of weird.

LOL. Harry's jacket..i heard my friend next to me say, "What the hell?" when she saw it. :D
Haha they need to get a new costume designer with the matching clothes and amazing jackets...I think Ron and Hermione's matching clothes 'subtly' foreshadow their future romance! Honestly they keep trying to do subtle things in the films but it's just so plain obvious like the McGonagall/Umbridge stairs thing that everyone's mentioned

Oh yeah and when the gang were flying to London they were flying past Muggles in plain sight! It doesn't make sense, it's a violation of Wizarding law! Seriously, all they want to do is show off special effects and whatnot - like the weird wraith things at the Ministry

Just read everyone else's comments and I did see the 'Harry/Luna' although I don't think they meant it that way. Like hapaganthae said, Harry needed emotional support so they displayed Luna's amazing wisdom. Harry doesn't see Luna that way, he sees Ginny that way. This makes me sad cos they cut out so much H/G stuff like Chocolate in the Library and when she tells him off. Sigh