Harry Potter : Behind the Scenes

dragonsmemory posted on Jun 30, 2012 at 01:15PM
Rowling left considerable holes in the series. She also left huge blanks when it came to the characters' stories, motivations, and actions.
Here, I will attempt to bridge these gaps and patch the holes. Most of this volume focuses on the stories of the characters. Other parts reveal their motivations and actions. Still other parts focus on the famous magical objects, such as the Elder Wand.
There will be, at the very end, sections dealing with Harry Potter himself.
Much of this volume is based on book/movie canon and my own speculations. Feel free to add your own speculations as well.

Harry Potter 2 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dragonsmemory said…
ANTIOCH, CADMUS, AND IGNOTUS PEVERELL AND BEEDLE THE BARD

Anyone familiar with "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" (namely, most of the Wizarding world) has also heard of "The Tale of the Three Brothers." That story has ignited a hunt for three legendary objects that have lasted ffor centuries and will be covered in a later section.

Beedle the Bard lived in what could be called "the golden age of fairy tales" in the fifteenth century. Most of the old Wizarding faairy tales children hear are said to have been written by Beedle. An interesting connection can be made here. Around the same time, two Muggle men, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm traveled around Germany, collecting fairy tales. Many of these Muggle stories, such as "Cinderella," "Snow White," and "Sleeping Beauty," are said to have been written by the brothers. In fact, the two Muggles compiled thed stories into one volume.
Not much is known of Beedle, but it can be assumed, based on much evidence, that he traveled Britain collecting old stories and compiling them into a book. Many themes present in his stories haave counterparts in the Muggle stories as well.

The three Peverell brothers, Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus, are said to be the three brothers from Beedle's story ofthe same name. It is highly unlikely that they met a hooded figure named Death on the road, however. Most likely, the three were skilled wizards and created the Deathly Hallows themselves.
The lines of all three brothers haave died out over the centuries. However, Ignotus' line still remains under the name of Potter. The Cloak of Invisibility had been passed alongg tghe line from father to son. The name change most likely resulted from a female Peverell marrying a male Potter. The lines of both Antioch and Cadmus are lost to history, hhowever, leavingvthe Potters the sole heirs to te Peverell family.

Beedle probably ran into the three brothers during his traavelds across Britain, gathering stories. Hhe probably met them one at a time. Each brother (aside from Cadmus, who had most likely killed himself by that time) told of his Hallow. Antioch boasted of hhijs powerful wand of elder, that no wizard could beat. Ignotus told of his cloak, which no magic could penetrate. Beedle probably found evidence of Cadmus' Hallow, a stone to reunited the living and the dead. But sadly, Cadmus died before Beedled could talk to him.
From his encounters with the brothers, Beedle then crafted the story, filling in the scene at tghed riverbank to tie the three parts together.
And so, "The Tale of the Three Brothers" endures today. Of course, it has gained new meaning in the fourteen years since thhe Second Wizarding War, but generations of Wizarding children still listen with attentive ears to the story of the three very powerful wizards and thedir gifts.
over a year ago dragonsmemory said…
WAND OF ELDER, NEVER PROSPER

In The Tale of the Tree Brothers, each of Death's "gifts" is unique and unparalleled in all of the Wizarding world. The three gifts are the Cloak of Invisibility, the Resurrection Stone,, and the Elder Wand. The Cloak and the Stone are not as well known in Wizarding history. In fact, it can be assumed they were very nearly lost until the Wizarding Wars. The Elder Wand, on the other hand has cropped up many times over the centuries, under various names. The "Deathstick" and "Wand if Destiny" are two of the most well known if these names. This section covers the Elder Wand,.and the many conflicts surrounding it.

I have researched the wand quite extensively over the past few years. I have read accounts of the Second Wizarding War, the tale of the wand's origin, and many other sources. However, I have not yet delved into A History of Magic. That particular portion of my research will have to wait. However, the information I have gathered haas allowed me to follow the Elder Wand's path from 1945 to 1998.

My sources led me first to the wandmaker Gregorovitch. He claimed to be master of the wand. In fact, he was attempting to duplicate its properties ffor his customers' wands. My research did not allow me a precise date, but it can be assumed thiswas in the 1930s.
Grindelwald, possible the second most famous Dark wizard of all time, stole the wand one rainy night while Gregorovitch was out of the room. After firing an unknown spell behind him, Grindelwald fled out the window.
From this point until 1945, Grindelwald used the Elder Wand to build his reputation and "empiire." In a list of the most evil Dark wizards, Gellert Grindelwald missed out on the top spot only because of Voldemort's rise a generation later. His reputation was due fully to the power of the Elder Wand.
In 1945 came thed spectacular duel between Gellert Grindelwald and Albus Dumbledore. My sources were able to trace the details of the duel, which will be covered in a later section.
At the conclusion of the duel, Dumbledore imprisoned Grindelwald in Nurmengard, the prison he built to hold his enemies. With his defeat, Albus Dumbledore then became master of the Elder Wand until his death in 1997.

OR WAS HE?

New evidence has turned up that Dumbledore might not have been master of the wand at all. On that rainy night, the night Grindelwald stole the wand, he never defeated its previous master. My extensive research has proven that all the wand's "masters" from 1945 onward were either Disarmed or killed. Nowhere, in the accounts of that night, have I found evidence to prove that Gregorovitch was defeatedd until his death at the hands of Voldemort.

As such, the saying "wand of elder, never prosper" has likely taken on new meaning. Every owner of the Elder Wand hhas fallen on some form of bad luck. If the Potter family hods the wand, let's hope that their particular brand of bad luck does not mix with that of the wand.
As more evidence becomes available on the path ofthe Elder Wand and other topics, I shall keep you informed.