Fanpop Users Contributions - how does it really work?

Cammie posted on Aug 23, 2008 at 03:58AM
I need some of my fellow wise fanpoppers to answer this for me: how does the contribution factor really work? I thought that I knew the answer all along as logic told me that on any given spot the fan with the most contribution to that spot was obviously the highest contributing person. However I do believe either I was wrong or there's something amiss. I shall explain.
The Bewitched spot has (as of August 2008) 132 fans. The spot was not created by me but when I joined it about seven months ago it only had two picks and half a dozen images. To this day, hardly anyone either than myself, adds anything to the spot. I would say that 90% of all images, videos, links,quizzes,etc have been contributed by me. The only other fan that ever added any content was TheCountess when she was on Fanpop.
I just checked the highest contributors list on the spot and I'm at #8 as a contributor. Fans that have never even added one single piece of content are in the top five. "Doh!" I thought, maybe it works on the principle of who rates the most content on the spot. Hmmmm, that does not work either. Because one of the few fans that ever rate the Bewitched spot is DrDevience and she stands at #4.
The same scenario is taking place in the Classic Science Fiction Movies spot. There's 17 fans there but except for some content that was again added by TheCountess I am the only one that has added in content whatsoever. On that spot I come in at #4 or #5.
I apologize if I'm asking something that has been hammered out before (I haven't been able to find any relevant infor.)but I'm kind of confused as how the contributors' assessing works.
last edited on Aug 23, 2008 at 04:02AM

Fanpop Users 44 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago amazondebs said…
cammie my darling you are the top contributer

if you look on the home page at the box of fans in the bottom you are on the far left, followed by the second top contributer the countess

the highest contributer filter when you go to view all the fans of that spot for some reason sort it by highest contributions across the entire site which is why drd is always before you because she has added more contibutions to fanpop as a whole than you

does that make sense?
over a year ago Cammie said…
Well, debs, give me a few minutes to work this out and check it.
I shall get back to you on this ...
Okey dokey, I no longer feel confused here - now I just feel like a damn fool. Thank you debs for actually guiding me as to where to look. I did not know that the fan box at the bottom of the homepage was where you had to look. I was looking in the section where you find the fan list of all fans of a spot.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
but then why does Debs not have a medal in the simpsons Vs family guy spot but I do even though she's above me.
ahh my friend i can answer that too

this happened to me in the alyson hannigan spot, i was top contributer and yet saul had a medal

basically the medal distributer must go round people on some sort of i dunno circuit of some such which is why people often get medals in batches next time the medal thingy comes past me i will probably get it then :)
like a medal delay

okay i hope that made sense cause i said thingy a fair bit, sorry lol
Are you saying that the medal distribution thingy is an automated thingy? Lol
yup medals are automated by a magic formula :)
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
come to think of it you're probably right, on the Scrubs spot, I saw tushtush move up above someone with a yellow medal, I was going to congratualate her, only to find she still had green, 2 days later she had yellow.

Also, I only just got that green medal so it would work if it's true.
over a year ago nandacavalieri said…
what happened to Debs happened with me many times (the thing of being the top contributer and yet saul don't have a medal)...
for example now I'm the topo contributer of the Dirt spot, but I don't have a medal yet, but newbie has

I have a question that might be stupid, but everytime that I add quiz question my spots updates, I mean when I check my spots with highest medal. Did that happen with anybody?
hooch, if i am right? what do you mean IF i am right of course i am right :P

don't worry nanda you'll probably get them medals soon

i'm not sure by what you meant about the quiz question..?
Debs, the 2 last times I made new quiz questions I got a medal the next day...
I made new quiz questions yesterday, if I win a medal today I don't think that would be a coincidence

*ok, I could explain better, but English is not my language and I'm not very good with that, sorry*
It was a coincidence :(
ahhh i see now

yes i think quiz questions like ratings add to medals also

and your english is brilliant for someone who does not speak it as a first language :)
thanks, but I'll probably say that my English sucks more 10000 times hehehehehe, it's my nature huhuaauhaua
over a year ago ShadowFlame said…
I don't think quizzes alone can get you dedicated though. I've made 75 quizzes in this spot, and according to my Highest Medal list in my spots, I should become dedicated here next :S
over a year ago aholic said…
I just think it depends on how many quizzes you ask. If you ask 1000 I am sure you will get a medal!
over a year ago nosemuffin said…
With the quiz questions, I believe that earning a medal is based on how many people have answered them. In theory you could ask only one question but if thousands of people answered it, it would probably earn you a medal. So I guess you could look at it as - The more questions you ask, the more total answers you will end up with.
Quizzes probably give medals, not alone I think, probably if you make like 200 you will win at least a dedicated one...
anyway, fanpop is too complicated to understand
The same thing is happening to me.

The link spot. I am first on the list at the bottom of the Christopher Lee spot homepage, and Cammie is right after me. But Cammie is dedicated, but I'm not.

In the link spot. benji and papa are both dedicated, and I'm right in between them, yet I'm medal-less.
But I only became "dedicated" a couple of days ago. Although I have been dedicated to Sir Christopher Lee for many years, lol.
Maybe yours is in the mail (as the saying goes) 'cos you've contributed heaps of awesome content into that spot.
over a year ago hellgirl223 said…
i thought contributors means they contribute alot :S anyway since were talking about quizzes....... and based on if your theory is right nosemuffin, i just hope many people will answer my quizzes in the unbelievable spot and hope to get a medal <3
But I've been ahead of papa for at least a month now. I think my mail got lost in the system...
over a year ago pollyloveshouse said…
Shadow have you had any other medals since you moved above papa in the top contributors?? If not then it's probably still coming, it's just very dull to wait for.
and its possible to look at the the highest contributors list on a certain spot?? how?? >.<
Go to the main page of that spot and at the bottom there is a bar, the user furthest to the left is the highest.
poll, to answer that question, nope. I haven't received a medal in a month, and I've been over papa for aboot a month and a half now.
over a year ago aholic said…
I have received some but I haven't contributed very much... I got a medal for things I contributed 3 months ago.
Surely if it's been about a month you should be getting a haul soonish...

I know have a situation similar to yours. I have just moved up to top contributor of the Arsenal spot, ahead of meme6 who has a yellow yet I'm still on my green. Guess I will have to hope it's coming.
over a year ago nosemuffin said…
That happened to me Shadow, I swear. I was positioned to get a medal/medal upgrade in two spots and didn't get them for about two months(just got them yesterday). I noticed a couple of my Fanpop buddies getting not one, but two cycles of medals in the meanwhile, so it was a little odd.
Actually, I got a medal for the Australia spot last week yet I haven't really contributed to that spot in a few months. So,I guess that the medal system is a bit like: it won't happened overnight BUT it will happen!
You're right Camal! I was just awarded 7 dedicated medals! Whooo...
again.. CONGRATS :)
See Flamey,always listen to the resident witch ... she knows when something's about to happen.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Okay, I don't understand fanpop. In Friends spot, I'm 2nd top contributor, but mtoll (1st) added 42 videos, 1975 images, 18 picks, 32 quiz questions and I added 9 links, 70 videos, 6143 images, 2 articles, 86 picks, 382 quizzes. How can she be the 1st? Sorry, but I'm too competitive so I need to know
over a year ago claire-aka-bob said…
maybe her contributes have been rated more than yours? im not sure ♥
I know is that, but I think it's unfair
It might take a while to update the top contributions order. I've found that usualy when it changes more than one person might move up or down the order at once...
over a year ago Snerkie said…
nandacavalieri, images are seen as lower, people view them less especially when there are that many. When it's quality images, people look at them heaps more, especially with correct keywording so people find them easily.
over a year ago PkmnTrainerJ said…
I have a simple answer to the initial question: Magic. Yup.

To you nandacavalieri, Fanpop's servers update medal status and that type of data at a certain time at least once a month. (There is something the F4 have to do in order for the servers to migrate and collate all the data) When that's done, all the medals are updated (but it won't happen for all users at the same time, due to the massive amount of data.

So in short, the medals are distributed according to a schedule, but due to the mass of data, may not all happen at the same time.
I already have my fanatic medal. And my medal updates takes 3 weeks and my contribution updates takes 1 week. I know all you guys said, but I just think it's unfair
So what's the REAL problem, nanda?
You're upset because your name isn't showing as the first contributor? So what - like J said it takes time to update the spots.
I know there's some spots that I am the 1st contributor butI'm still showing as 4th or 5th, eventually it will be updated accordingly.
Being 1st in anything isn't what it's all about!
Yes, sorry Cammie...
I don't care that much, and I love the person who is in 1st there, so I'm happy for her...