Doctor Who Episode formats?

harold posted on Jan 06, 2007 at 03:27PM
For most of its life, Doctor Who was shot in 24-minute episodes, usually with a series of cliffhanger endings that hooked the viewer for the following week's episode. The standard story was four episodes long. After more than 20 years, the producer Jonathan Nathan-Turner (perhaps due to pressure from the superiors at the BBC) experimented with changing the format to 48-minute episodes which were often self-contained stories (sometimes you'd have a 2-episode storyline). Despite the fact that the new format made for shorter, shallower stories and contributed to the demise of the show, the new series has followed this newer format. But for the new show, it has, in my opinion, worked better than it did for the 6th and 7th doctors. I still miss the faster yet longer storytelling of the original series, though. Which do you prefer?
save

Doctor Who 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago benji said…
I much prefer the longer episodes, they allow the story to flow a lot better (not to mention I get to watch it all at once). It's a far more 'finished story' feel.
over a year ago harold said…
That's an interesting perspective, thanks. I'm still on the fence - in many ways I still prefer the longer stories to the longer episodes.

I know that in the 80s they often combined serial episodes into one long "movie version" in rebroadcast, and also on many video releases, so you'd have a feature-length movie rather than 4 discrete episodes. That was nice from a completeness view, but the pacing was pretty strange, because the gravity of the cliffhangers was reduced, if not eliminated. It's a bit like how with US television, watching many shows on DVD is strange, because there are sense breaks where the commercial advertisments should go.
over a year ago tubachick said…
I like the longer episodes more, I think. That way, you have more of the Doctor at once, but it isn't overwhelmingly long, like a movie can sometimes be. Also, I think that the 48 minute episodes allow for story development and resolution more than the 24 minute ones because the writers don't need to think of a way to end each episode so that it is a cliffhanger which will keep people watching.