Doctor Who "Your song must end soon..."

thecon posted on Apr 19, 2008 at 10:42PM
Anyone else think that the Ood's comment at the end of tonight's episode could be setting up The Doctor's death this season? I think its going that way...
last edited on Apr 19, 2008 at 10:43PM

Doctor Who 31 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Happyhour said…
He's staying on for the three specials though, isn't he?

ISN'T HE?!

Well, anyway, they played the Doomsday music at the end of it so I'm actually guessing it's just another hint to the Doctor that Rose is returning. He'll figure it out, eventually.
over a year ago thecon said…
Nice work spotting the Doomsday tune, I hadn't noticed! I thought he was confirmed for series 5 too, then it was said that he wasn't, then I heard that he isn't even confirmed for the specials!!! It might make sense... when tennant took over there was a lot of talk weeks before about possible new Doctors, and we've had that recently with all the Robert Carlyle and James Nesbitt talk... also the Tennant Doctor can't die without Rose by his side, it wouldn't be right. So having her back allows their story, in a way, to close. Gonna be sad to lose him if its true... I hope not.

last edited over a year ago
I don't know what to think anymore. There're so many different rumours flying round. I guess it would be good for him to die with Rose at his side - but she'd have to die too because she'd still go with the new him, wouldn't she. Anyway when David Tennant got interviewed recently on Radio One he said he was definitely staying for the specials and then no one was sure (including himself) if he was leaving or not. But Freema said the same thing about series four and she's only making "Guest Appearances" (the last three episodes with Billie, John, Freema, Catherine, Elizabeth and David are going to have loooong opening credits) but anyway I hope we keep David a little longer, he's already outstripped the old Doctors for me.
over a year ago DalekSec said…
I don't think he's going to 'die,' per se... but isn't there an entire Doctor-less episode planned for this season with Donna, Martha, Rose, etc. running round trying to save him?
over a year ago Gabitha said…
I feel so out of the loop! I wish they were playing Doctor Who here! lol:P
All this craziness around Tennant and him saying he's gonna stay, and then not saying anything when asked sometimes... its so very Russell T. Davies, he loves to throw out mis-information, like just before series 3 when the papers were full of 'The Rani' being cast in the series for that year. But there is always some element of truth somewhere in the misinformation, like the press coverage during the first season about who the new Doctor could be, Tennant was mentioned then. Either Tennant's doctor will die, and they want us to wonder whether it'll happen or not, or he won't die, and they want there to be a real sense of jeopardy to the finale... "Your song must end soon..." could be setting up a death for the future, but who knows? Who knows.

But so far there are 4 recurring 'Bad Wolf' type threads....

1. Bees disappearing - Episode 1 + 3 (?)
2. "She will return" - Episode 2 (Rose)
3. "There's something on your back" - Episode 2 (Donna and her role in the finale)
4. "Your song must end..." - Episode 3 (Doctor dies)

So we have 4 in 3 episodes.... 4 threads is a lot, and remember the Face Of Bo's revelation in the Series 2 opener 'New Earth' that "There is another", that didn't pay off until the back end of series 3!

link

I still think it's another Rose hint. Look in there, it's a big clue. And the Doctor has his OWN theme tune, but they chose to play the Doomsday one. So... he can't die yet.

Maybe I'm in denial?
over a year ago Rock_Smurf_77 said…
I think the bees disappearing is in relation to another episode. Because there was a clip of a giant bee shown in the coming up after "Voyage of the damned" check it out. UNICORN AND THE WASP also "She will return" is obviously a reference to rose. "Your song must end" well that could mean the doctor dies but it could be on about the song that the doctor is pining for rose and wants her back. When did it say "There's something on your back"
Something on your back was said by the Soothsayer to Donna in 'The Fires of Pompeii'... allegedly she will betray The Doctor at the end of this series.... this series is packed by the sound of it!!!
There's a tiny thread from episodes 1+2 that you didn't mention, the theme of planets being 'lost.'
Didn't notice that one, sounds intriguing...
over a year ago xoxJoJoRulesxox said…
I Think That SOMETHING Is Going To Happen To Rose, Because Of The Doomsday Music, I Dnt Think She Is Going To Die Or The Doctor! Oooo I Dnt No!
over a year ago Lunaste said…
Oh baww, I wanted to say what DalecSec said in his/her (?) first comment.

(mebbe these are spoilers?)

I thought that in one of the last episodes the Doctor would collapse or nearly die and all of his previous (and current, yay Donna!) companions would have to run all around to save him?

(spoilers stop!)

And yeah, I noticed the theme of 'lost planets', and that's why I think 'she will return' is too obvious a clue to predict Rose's return. I mean, the audience has already seen her return, so that wouldn't do as the big reveal of the theme of the season (like Bad Wolf or the Master was a reveal).
I think possibly 'she will return' has something to do with Gallifrey?
There is an episode with the companions trying to save the Doctor, I think it's 'Turn Left', episode 11. Though it could be episode 12 when he gets struck down by a Dalek.
over a year ago tinytardis said…
A very close family member to me who has had the information independantly from two sources associated VERY closely with the whoniverse has stated that they know what is happening and it will be a big shock. They are desperate to tell me but I don't think I want to know but he/she keeps mentioning hands or glove as playing a big part which I am assuming to be either someone being brought back from the dead or a reference to a certain female hand reaching for a ring ... Perhaps the daft idea of a woman playing the doctor is in the pipeline again (groan) - Given the producers continued thrust of his sexual leanings on Torchwood perhaps we will get lumbered with a transexual Doctor even !!. Worst option would be for Catherine Tate to come back again - She could be good if she stops playing her own comedy series characters all rolled in as one. Hopefully she will volunteer to crash a spaceship into a planet or something ....
Sorry, Lunaste! (His.) I agree that the 'she will return' would be a tad too obvious, given that we already saw Rose in the season opener.

Tinytardis - STOP HATING ON CATHERINE! ;-P The mention of gloves, and people being brought back from the dead, reeks a little of Torchwood...
Female Doctor is in the pipeline again... (see my Christmas 2009 post for more on that) supposedly for one episode with Jennifer Saunders.

I don't think 'She will return' is too obvious, its just building the anticipation for Rose's return.... we all know it will happen, and this just builds it up. If 'she will return' is leading to anything else then it may need explaining as to why it relates, which would be too messy.

When it comes down to it sometimes obvious is not a problem, you're just playing on the audience's expectations and trying to build an air of anticipation, also bear in mind that kids watch it too, and whilst we get early series threads like "there's something on your back'(?!!) this is a thread younger kids can understand and lets them join in the fun too!
over a year ago RememberWho said…
possible spoilers here...

considering all the clues - I think Donna is sick, literally. the statements "there is something on your back" ep 2, then the ood talking to Doctor-Donna "I think your song must end soon" - both are about Donna. Then I saw the little bit (fan clip from filming) about the Doctor leaving Wilf's/Donna's house and telling him "you can't ever tell her." I think this is the alternate universe and the alternate Wilf can't ever tell Donna that it's the alternate universe. I think the Donna on the alternate universe somehow dies, companion Donna is sick and when the Doctor takes her to the alternate universe the Daleks/Cybermen get out of the between universe space and it all allows Rose to get out too.

Another thought is that Donna gets sick and the Doctor helps her, using the alternate universe in some way, then she doesn't remember traveling with the doctor at all and her life depends on not going with him; then what Wilf can't tell her is that she found the doctor and went traveling with him.

Well - it's possible. :)
over a year ago blind_moon said…
This was in wikipedia:
"In Planet of the Ood when Ood Sigma said "your song will end soon" The Ood sang songs craving to be reunited with each other, and the Doctor's song of craving for Rose will end soon so he will be reunited with her once more."

I think this is a really good explanation, besides the "Doomsday" song playing during the conversation fits really well in this idea!!

(RememberWho: good idea about the Donna sickens... I think it’s very very possible)
over a year ago harold said…
Fascinating. My wife and I found the remark about the bees disappearing an humorous reference to current events, nothing more, since bees are dying off all over the world at the moment. It's typically laid at the feet of global warming, but there isn't really enough evidence to make solid conclusions.

But that's why it's always been cool to know people in other countries (particularly the UK) who also watch "Doctor Who" - so many different viewpoints. For example: "The Happiness Patrol", to me, seems like one of the worst adventures ever - poorly written, produced and directed - but read any reviews of it from the UK and it is universally lauded as a "brilliant" and "visionary" satire of current political events at the time in the UK. That's all to say that I appreciate you all so much for your perspective: it would never have occurred to me that the bees line was anything but a throwaway current events joke.
You didn't like "The Happiness Patrol"? :-O
over a year ago harold said…
Nah, it's pathetic. The writing's the worst of all.
over a year ago RememberWho said…
This is good -
blind_moon said:
"the Doctor's song of craving for Rose will end soon so he will be reunited with her once more."

I agree with you here - sounds very credible, especially with Doomsday music playing and the clue statement "she will return"
I'm liking the Donna explanation... her being sick does sound likely, the song of craving idea is a nice way to look at the 'song' quote too. Very nice.
Well if any one REALLY wants to know whats happening I will ask someone that knows first hand from a "Daughters Doctor" but perhaps its more fun to guess - Who knows may be someone comes up with a better story line than what really happens - Personally I am hoping that Donna gets turned into an Ood - Sorry but Catherine Tate is one of the worst companions since Dodo (similar name Donna - Dodo - Dead As a ...). Even Adric was less irritating.
Oh and Happiness Patrol - Well it was probably a good idea but the set designs, costumes and casting on most of the early seventh Whos all contributed to making most of those episodes cringeworthy to watch now (eg The two badly portrayed Americans in Delta and the Bannermen)
She's not as bad as Peri.
Oh I don't know - Peri had a few outstanding points...
Episode Six Series Thirty + Consider the name of the Doctors current Companion VERY carefully.........
Uhh... what of it? Donna's not the Doctor's daughter. (I feel a bit stupid.)
over a year ago teikachikata said…
I, for one, don't want to know the real answer yet. I like speculating for myself to see if I'm right. A friend and I watch the episodes online at the same time and throw out ideas and guesses. We'll see who's closer to the truth at the end of the series. I am just thoroughly enjoying the series as it plays out. So far, I'm loving it.

And it is the Doctor's theme that is playing during the conversation. But the doctor's theme was also incorporated into Doomsday.