Disney Princess RIGGING!?!? {Themed Icon Contest}

ppv posted on Dec 21, 2010 at 08:28PM
Hey guys!
I've decided to post a forum post to know your opinion. Hope, you don't mind it's a forum. Because I was not sure what is better - either to create a pick or a forum. Well, it doesn't actually matter...

So, the problem is about the contest results.
There were TOO many voters in the last round. 64 fans! Well, usually we have 30-45 voters every round. So, you see the difference, don't you?
Also, I would not like to notice it here, but just the gentle hint about the previous winner...
Anyway a lot of people already agreed that these results were rather strange, because this contest isn't that popular, honestly, to have so many voters.

So, the question is about how it's better to avoid rigging and such problems.
Do you think it's better to count only those votes who comment!? In fact, it'd be rather fair. Because the voters will be the same who submit the icons, so who is interested in fair results, and also some people who don't participate but love our creativity, lol :D

Please, post here your suggestions. I'm waiting for them. Because I want to run this contest in the best possible way.
Thanks in advance!

I'm really upset...
Hey guys!
I've decided to post a forum post to know your opinion. Hope, you don't mind it's a forum.

Disney Princess 30 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago princesslullaby said…
hmmm
only if everyone agrees to comment, otherwise no. we discussed this though :)
over a year ago soxfan89 said…
I'll Think About Trying My Hand.
over a year ago ppv said…
big smile
@princesslullaby: If about 20 fans agree, especially among those who participate, then it will count as everyone!?
over a year ago cromulanfav said…
I agree, leaving a comment isn't hard at all, and that should settle all. But I rarely submit an icon. So would my vote count?
last edited over a year ago
smile
^Sure! I've just said people who submit icons are more interested in the fair results (well, usually), so it wouldn't be that hard for them to leave a comment at all.
over a year ago firegirl1515 said…
@cromulanfav: Yeah, the votes of anyone who comments should be counted. It shouldn't be restricted to those who participate.

Commenting really is the best bet. I've used it to prevent countdown rigging, and I've seen it used effectively on other spots as well. I think it's a great method to try.

Also, it was good of you to keep track of the approximate amount of voters in each round- keep doing it. That way, if there is ever another significant increase in voters, we'll know.
over a year ago princesslullaby said…
ok, sounds good
over a year ago boolander25 said…
So, just to see if I've got this, we're just counting comments for tallying up the winner? It seems unlikely that voters will comment though. I mean, yes there are some reliable people on this spot, but not everyone will do it.
over a year ago misssy said…
Although I understand that the commenting method makes the most sense, I agree with boolander25. I don't think everyone will comment thus making it unfair for the people who received genuine votes but the voters just didn't want to comment. I think if the problem is addressed enough and you emphasis it's severity the results might change. But it's your contest, if you feel making this change will help then go for it.
over a year ago BelleAnastasia said…
smile
Well, if ppv writes in the pick caption that commenting is obligatory, and someone doesn't comment, that's their own problem. Their vote just won't count, because it's really not that hard to write 4-5 words. Commenting will just make it easier to make sure that the given pick has not been rigged.
Thank you, BelleAnastasia, I absolutely agree, it's not hard to write something. And of course I will mention it (that only votes with comments count) every time I post a pick.
over a year ago lepetitsouris said…
How would commenting help? You can only vote once in a pick and it's easy to make multiple accounts/get your friends to vote for you. Like vertika made several accounts and so other people could do the same... they could comment on all those accounts as well...
over a year ago firegirl1515 said…
^^But the thing is, we'd notice all those people. And again, if there is an unusually high amount of voters, then we could check it out, see if all of the random people voted for the same one or two icons.
over a year ago sunnyson said…
That sounds like a great idea ! Its really easy to leave a comment .
over a year ago percyandpotter said…
I'm in.
over a year ago boolander25 said…
I'm all for the idea, believe me, it's just it doesn't seem entirely fool proof. I understand how it's simple for people to write something down, but how can we guarantee this? It's not that I don't trust anyone, it's just I'm worried about users who should win a contest, but because no one commented for them, those users lose.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't complain or any of this. It's your contest, I'll go with your decision. :)
over a year ago Delilah_Scruggs said…
It seems to me that, while not fool proof, requiring comments on the picks would be the most fair way of making sure the contest isn't rigged. However, considering that I'm still pretty new to this contest, and still have a lot to learn about making icons, I will agree with whatever you all decide.
Well like firegirl1515 already said we'd notice all those people. The single comment of people with extra-profiles will be noticed.
over a year ago Duncan_Courtney said…
Well, it is hard to fully prevent this. It's just like with all the countdowns and stuff, you'll have to trust people to make a comment and not cheat.

I'm for it, I just hope it can work.
over a year ago LionaChoco said…
Sounds good as for me.
over a year ago tiffany88 said…
Okay,I agree too.
butttt as you can see from the normal voting picks, there are about 30-40 people. Not all of the 30-40 fans are completely active (and active as in participate and comment on forums/picks/answers/etc). So if they decide just to comment on this one pick, then people would get suspicious for never seeing them before, when they're actually not extra-profiles.
^yes, but I can check their profile and see how long they are fanpoppers, how many spots they joined, how active they are in other spots. If I look at the profile page and see that a fan joined in December, joined only 2 spots and leaved just two comments, what have I to think?
But if I see that he/she's active in other spots, that a fan is quite active, it wouldn't be suspicious.
But of course maybe we'll have some problems with 1-3 comments. But it's better than 15 (or even more) extra fans who just decided to pick one icon and who helped to one fan to win...
over a year ago Mongoose09 said…
Um I see I'm in the minority, but I don't agree with the comments thing. I think putting in the question "MUST comment" is fine, but I don't think the result should entirely be based on comments, because even if it does say "must" comment, a high majority probably won't. It always happens.

Aaand if it's only that one that had about 60 votes, then maybe we should wait to see how the next round goes, because I think the other rounds were fair. Also I think the fanart pick should be redone. Then we should see where it goes from there.

Still don't argee about the comment thing, I'm just not sure. I agree 100% with Delilah_Scruggs.
^That's a good idea. I think that commenting is a must, but the vote shouldn't entirely depend on comments.

Maybe if the the person with the most votes doesn't get any comments then we should be suspicious and pick the new winner based on how many comments they got. But if the person that won didn't get a whole load of comments but still had some, they should still be the winner.
over a year ago Mongoose09 said…
smile
^ totally agree!
hmmm
well I see all your points. That is why I myself am not sure about all this comment thing too, and that is why I posted this forum here. But I still don't see why it's so hard to someone to comment, if it's a requirement.
over a year ago percyandpotter said…
^^that sounds like a good idea.
^you mean what Mongoose09 said?
over a year ago mathrox said…
it'l be better if d votes counted depended on comments.btw,ppv,the comp. is more popular than u think!