Disney Princess New Princesses: Yay or Nay

chameron4eva posted on May 03, 2009 at 07:16PM
So, I was looking through the web for Disney Princesses and stuff, when I came across an article.

Disney is going to add two princess to the Disney Princess franchise. The princess from The Princess and the Frog, and Rapunzel.

Mulan and Pocahontas were added, but I'm ok with them.

Personally, I don't want them to be added. I like the classic princesses.

What do you think?

Disney Princess 12 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago disney_prince said…
I am fairly open to the idea of having new disney princesses, they would never be able to replace the classics but it would be nice to see the group grow, with more modern princesses joining in on the fun :)
over a year ago chameron4eva said…
that's true, but I don't see how Rapunzel could add to the group. As for Princess and the Frog, I could be open to her in the new group.
over a year ago alafastanzio said…
I'm all for a new Princess but it would only work if they went back to the classic Disney formula. The princess would have to sing (no Phil colins crap), it have to be set as a fairytale with no modern twists, and just a classic story with more drama than humor.

Quite frankly it couldn't be a feminist movie. If they wanted that old disney princess charm they'd have to make the princess as girly has humanly possible without any modern attitude. If the old princesses don't offend girls now I don't see why the Studios haven't gone back to that type of character.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago DisneyLover101 said…
Mulan is not a princess...I hate when she is associated with them because no where do I see royalty in that movie!!! Sorry, drives me nuts :) I personally DON'T like the idea of new princesses at all! I think it's a terrible thing to add new ones to the group!
over a year ago princesslullaby said…
I think there's a difference between a "princess" and a "disney princess". A disney princess is the main character of a movie who is female or teenage age or older. This narrows it down to all the princesses on the lineup except Jasmine, who I guess they stuffed in because she's from Aladdin, a very successful film.
over a year ago Mermaid-Tail said…
heart
I'm open to new princesses, but not how they seem to be going about it. I think any new princess should both visually fit with the rest (ruling out Rapunzel for me) and they should also wait to ensure fans respond well to a character before adding her, unlike what they did with Tiana. Don't get me wrong, I like Tiana and am glad she's in the line-up, and get they wanted her to add more diversity, but I still think they should've waited till the movie was liked before adding her, because they seemed to put her in as soon as the move started being advertised.

alafastanzio, I disagree the movie couldn't be feminist, I guess it just depends on your definition of feminist. They can't keep doing subservient, 50's attitude damsels forever, because there's only so long it could be seen as returning to the classic formula before it would start being seen as repetitiveness. The problem is you don't have to make a character miss Sassybaskets McButtkicker to make her a strong female rolemodel. Like the description of Rapunzel (obvously just my impression since the movie's not out yet) the 'strength' they're giving her seems like such a cliche of toughness it doesn't fit with my idea of Disney or that story. Making a character all butt kicky and in your face doesn't automatically make her a good role model. I also wish filmmakers these days didn't think being strong or sweet were mutually exclusive. To me a character like Belle, with a good mind and heart, is a stronger female character than one two-dimensionally full of quips and fights. They need to see strength comes from a more important place than just physically kicking ass. I'm not opposed to a Disney princess who can handle herself, but if a character seems flat or rude beyond that then in my opinion she's not strong. For me a perfect modern princess would be one who was emotionally and mentally strong, physically strong if it made sense in the context of her story, but whos strength didn't mean she wasn't kind and elegant. I wish they'd do a princess who shows you can be strong and sweet at the same time, because that would set the best example and I rarely see a female in a kids movie who shows that. These days the strong ones have to be sassy and the sweet ones have to be helpless and it bugs me.

Basically, I'm cool with Tiana being there, don't like the idea of Rapunzel being there and don't think they're currently going in the right direction to make a princess who's both fitting for the times but as iconic or appealing to fans as the classics.
over a year ago LisaForde said…
I like Giselle from Enchanted as she is like the modern version of Ariel,snow white,Cinderella combined together.

I like Belle,Ariel,Jasmine but Snow White is annoying.
I like Giselle from Enchanted as she is like the modern version of Ariel,snow white,Cinderella combin
over a year ago princesslullaby said…
I think they need to do a princess that EVOLVES. maybe at first is a damsel but then saves the day. And PLEASE not in a "kicking butt" way. Maybe in a SMART way. a CLEVER way. Like setting a trap or whatever.
over a year ago DreamyGal said…
wink
^^ I agree.
over a year ago TigerRanma said…
Hehe. I agree with Memaid-Tail and princesslullaby.
over a year ago Summer_Star said…
I like The Princess And The Frog because the princess in it was different and fresh but Rapunzel is just plain boring....now I'm not saying that the new princesses can replace the old ones but it'll be nice to have something new
over a year ago disneyfan500 said…
I am all for new princces. The more the merrier. Notheing will beat Snowhite though. Notheing is as classic as her and all her popular songs. So inspirational.