Disney Princess Classic Princess's Discussion Board

Silverrose1991 posted on Dec 09, 2013 at 12:30AM
After experiencing a debate over the subject of the Classic Princess with dclairmont and Benito_felipe, I decided to create this board were we can share and debate our views of the Clasic Princesses.

You can find our debate here: link

So, I'm beginning. I think the classic princesses are the ideal of how women should be back them. Is that a bad thing? No, because they're wonderfully poised, gentle and kind-hearted. But are they only that, ideals? No, they're real characters.

The classic princesses are much more closer to the women of that reality than most people give credit for. Truly, I didn't live in their age (30's-50's), but I can imagine them - chic, elegant women who had a hard life learning how to be "perfect", but were incredbly mentally strong and smart. They were the early feminist of that time. Just an idea beginning to spring to life, but surely there.

Also, some say they need/their lives revolve around a man. That's not true. They want love, so what's wrong with them getting it? Every Disney princess do (even Pocahontas). And their lives doesn't revolve around men. All of their lives revolve around something awful: Snow White is wanted dead, Cinderella is abused and Aurora was cursed and forced to assume a false identity.

I hope that makes sense.

After experiencing a debate over the subject of the Classic Princess with dclairmont and Benito_felip

Disney Princess 5 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago CRaZy_rawR said…
The Classic princesses are very well good role models. And like you said, all of the Disney Princess movies involve the princess eventually wanting love. They all went through terrible things, but just because they are more elegant (which is a wonderful quality) does not make them strong. Stereotypical America assumes the perfect woman is a strong girl who stands up for herself. Honestly, Mulan and Tiana are great role models too, but the Classics have a magical quality about them while still holding onto strength. I realize that Cinderella and Snow are quite low on my list, but I adore them as much as Aurora. Sorry for ranting on here, and not really standing up for them in polls and such, but it felt right to say it now.
over a year ago prussiaducky said…
Hi I am Snow White. I am a classic princess, you rang?
dclairmont commented…
YOU ARE A DUCK, STOP LYING TO YOURSELF over a year ago
prussiaducky commented…
NOOOOO SHUT UP DONT LISTEN TO HIM I AM SNOW WHITE over a year ago
over a year ago MacytheStrange said…
heart
I really like the classics, they're totally underrated. They aren't all that high on my list (Aurora's fifth, Snow and Cindy are tied for first) but they have much more personality, are more developed, are braver and are smarter than people give them credit for. I guess that's all I have to say, but nice forum!
Silverrose1991 commented…
Snow and Cinderella are tied for first? Aren't Belle your first? over a year ago
MacytheStrange commented…
Oops, typo! I meant to say sixth. over a year ago
over a year ago Give1Take2 said…
There's nothing I can say that I haven't already said. I think they have a lot more depth, personality, and inner strength than people give them credit for. True, they embody characteristics considered ideal for women at the time, but that doesn't mean those are bad traits, or harmful for girls to learn from. Honestly, in this day and age where kids of both genders seem to think it's okay being rude, selfish, obnoxious, etc. I think taking a lesson in being kind, helpful, thoughtful, graceful, polite, optimistic, etc. can only help. They all have something to offer.

Now, there might be some truth to having nothing but examples of the same type of female role models leading to some kids either subconsciously conforming to how they think they ought to be, or feeling bad for not wanting or being able to be like that. (I must confess I felt self-conscious as a kid because I couldn't sing a note while every princess could.)

When I was a wee little girl, I loved Cinderella and Aurora. When I got older and saw Mulan and Miyazaki heroines like Kiki and Sheeta, I naturally gravitated toward them. I didn't resent Snow, Cinder or Aurora for being beautiful, graceful and feminine while I was plain, tomboyish and awkward, I simply had the option to relate to other animated heroines who happened to have personality traits and styles closer to mine. I think just having options of different princesses with different personality traits, styles, goals, problem-solving methods, etc. is more than enough.
over a year ago Give1Take2 said…
Also going to add society's contradictorily expecting princesses to find love and marriage (accusing Merida of being a lesbian because she wasn't ready to marry, anyone?) while expecting them to not want it beforehand. I understand having a life, hobby, and identity outside the relationship is vital (growing up around toxic co-dependent relationships, I understand it all too well), but the classic gals did have lives outside of romance, and enjoyed living them.

Snow White loved the Prince but was fine continuing the live in her stepmother's castle after he professed his love. Later she was happy living in the dwarves' cottage, being their friend, singing goofy songs, eating meals together, etc. Did she hold onto hope that they would meet again? Of course. Was she so hung over him that she felt life wasn't worth living until he returned? Of course not. She had other friends and hobbies that made being away from him completely no big deal. (Honestly, the same couldn't be said for some "feminist-friendly" princesses. Ariel, I'm looking at you.)

Same could be said for Cinderella. She lived in an abusive household, but she made the most of it and had friends and past-times she enjoyed. All she wanted to do was go to a ball because, darn it, she works hard and enjoys some happiness. She fell for the handsome stranger at the ball as deeply as he fell for her, but after it was over she was fine with going back to her everyday life. In fact, HE was the one so smitten with HER that he couldn't wait to find her. Who's the co-dependent one now? (In fact, funny how people praise Belle for being fine with leaving the Beast since she did not depend on him to make her life worth living, but they conveniently forget so for Cinderella.)

Aurora is a tougher one because she does long for romance before she meets her love and then falls apart when she realizes she can't have him. For the sake of argument though, she clearly loves her three aunts, her life in the cottage, and animal friends in the woods. I used to think it was strange that she was upset her aunts didn't let her meet anyone, not because she wanted to make new friends, but to meet a guy. Then I realized she had all the friends she wanted ih the animals, so what does she need human friends for? You could argue she had Adam in the Garden Syndrome. A lone human surrounded by animal friends who can pair off around her. She sees them being happy together and wishes she could experience that kind of love and happiness too. (Just like Adam before he begged God to make him a companion in Eve).

That's all I got. Maybe I'm not defending them well at all, but that's how I see it.