Bleach Anime Isshin Kurosaki - Ex-Captain of Which Squad?

sakura1444 posted on May 09, 2010 at 09:20PM
There are all sorts of theories about which squad Isshin was formerly captain/a member of. Tite Kubo has yet to reveal much of Isshin's history concerning the Soul Society.

We know:
He's a shinigami.
He lost his powers about 20 years ago.
He and Urahara seem to be friends.
He possesses captain-level strength.
Isshin and Aizen are familiar with each other.

The questions:
If he had been a high ranking officer or even captain, how come nobody in the Seiretei's heard of 'Kurosaki'?

-Main Question-
Which squad was Isshin in, or was he even in a squad?

So: What's your theory about Isshin?

There are all sorts of theories about which squad Isshin was formerly captain/a member of.  Tite Kubo

Bleach Anime 98 replies

Click here to write a response...
Next

Showing Replies 51-98 of 98

over a year ago unohana said…
in this links it could explain more about isshin and about his shinigami powers
link
2nd link
link
over a year ago KEISUKE_URAHARA said…
big smile
In my opinion isshin did not used the final Getsuga tensho............ & how he know about it.while ichigo and isshin in dangai isshin told in past there where more shinigamies who used to trained in dangai to gain more power. if isshin did use Final getsuga tensho he would have lost his full soul reaper powers and he could not recover soul reaper powers on his own........
once in "THE PAST ARC"Unohana did mentioned about squad 10 captain falling in battle......................
if Isshin was in squad 0 the others will mention him as isshin's son as there former member.......
instead terinjo kirinji only mentioned only because of ichigo's power soul king is deeply interested in him.......and kirinji was in squad 0 more than Hirio kifune. So i think if isshin was in squad 0 he will know that for sure.........link
big smile
in one of your links i saw isshin was the prev vessel for hogyoku.......the hollofication exp was only happend only after keisuke being the squad 12 captain.......Only after that he started working on Gigai products and made the Hogyoku for the soloution for vanishing souls.......But squad 10 captain fall on battle before that......i mean isshin..........so his vanishing was not because of being hogyokus vessel.........so it gives us more confidence in isshin being former squad 10 captain............
got that..........
in one of your links i saw isshin was the prev vessel for hogyoku.......the hollofication exp was onl
Did u see in latest bleach manga.........................
unohana was the first kenpachi..................
over a year ago unohana said…
yeah i did^^ my beautiful unohana restu is the "unohana yachiru" that kenpachi z admire. She is also the 1st kenpachi! I cant wait to see more about her past!
Within soul society everyone fears unohana......even shunsui and ukitaki....when they see her fake smile............
If she is a former Kenpachi that mens she might be ruthless than zaraki.........
who know what her bankai is.......it might be so dangerous...............
no one ever seen her angry face........
She is a total mystery...............
Within soul society everyone fears unohana......even shunsui and ukitaki....when they see her fake sm
A new improvement in case of isshin..................dnt know if its fake or not...........
but while figting aizan he was wearing captain uniform.........but in this he is just squad 12 comrade..........
it mght be fake too..................?
heh heh heh............................
A new improvement in case of isshin..................dnt know if its fake or not...........
but whil
is this true one or fake one...................
over a year ago hollow_ichigo14 said…
ITS FAKE ALRIGHT....................
BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE SEEN ISSHIN IN CAPTAIN UNIFORM..................
over a year ago firemonkey said…
my theory is that Isshin was either a member or the captain of the royal guard and he is part of the royal family. he lost his powers after using the final getsuga tenshou so he left the royal palace and soul society and went to the human world because he thought his powers would not return and hated sitting around doing nothing. and he was able to leave the palace because he is part of the royal family. then he met Masaki and fell in love and had kids. but because he was a full Shinigami and part of the royal family his powers were not lost forever the just took 20 years to return. not sure how Aizen knows so much about isshin maybe they are related like cousins or brothers. that would explain why Aizen was so strong. and the Soul King banished him from the royal palace. it would also explain why Ichigo is so naturally talented. because of Isshin being a Shinigami and part of the royal family and his Masaki being a Quincy and attacked by a Hollow while she was pregnant. that how Ichigo got the powers of Shinigami, Quincy, Fullbring, and Hollow because he is a perfect hybrid. but i could be wrong it just seems to fit nicely together from my point of view.
mischievous
if he used the final getsuga tenso then his power will be lost for ever..................in ichigo's case the 13 court guards share his power through reishi sword...............he is definitely no royal guard..............
but in past arc unohana did mention prev squad 10 captain............fall in battle but never showed who i say it is him....................and his wife masaki will be a quincy............because she was also able to see hollows .........some how he lost his power and fall in love reveal them self isshin married..............then rest story...........................
it is a possibility................
if he was a royal guard the other royal guards would reveal ichigo as isshins son................kirinji was royal guard for a long time .....from that we can understand he is no royal guard................
over a year ago firemonkey said…
maybe during all the meetings Isshin had in the beginning of the series was with Keisuke to restore his power. after all it was Keisuke who came up with a way to restore Ichigo's power. and they only needed the 13 court guards to restore Ichigo because of how strong he is and Keisuke didn't need the 13 court guards for Isshin because he is not as strong as Ichigo or maybe it took 20 years by himself or they didn't have the time to wait 20 years with the whole Kugo thing going on. maybe for the reason why the royal guards didn't tell Ichigo about his dad was because they were ordered not to say anything by the Soul King. I don't think he was captain of squad 10 because someone would have said something after the whole Aizen thing finished. i say that because the Vizards came to defeat Aizen and so did Keisuke Yoruichi and Isshin so the captains should have at least recognized his reiatsu because they recognized the others but they didn't recognize him. for the reason why they don't recognize him or his reiatsu is because he was born raised and trained in the palace so no one but the royal guard and royal family know him or of him except for Aizen and that is why Isshin stopped him from saying anything.
last edited over a year ago
mischievous
do u know something.................if a person wanted to be a royal guard he should be extreamly talented.....................and unohana retsu was the first kenpachi.............which means she was there in 13 court guard squad in the begining of soul society................before unohana became squad 4 captain she was in squad 11 & in squad 4 it was kirinji who is now a royal guard....then there was squad 12 captain kirio hikifune who was also promoted to squad 0 other 3 r mystery.........in past arc............every captain were shown....except squad 11 and 10....in bleach wiki u can see prev squad 11 capt.................but unohana told jushiro & shunsui that squad 10 captain fall in battle...............it was actually highlighted..........if isshin was in squad zero he will never come 2 human world.........did u ever ever heard squad zero coming to human world, they came to soul society bcz the soul society was destroyed without head captain..............so they made their appearence.................. u see isshin had enormous power than ichigo..............but now ichigo has all 13 court guards squads power..............once by killing king fisher hollow....he did mention if u want scale "a soul reaper captain'" zanpakto............it will be topper in the sky...................so all the analysis r coming to a conclusion........there was 1 captain name were not revealed yet.................it was prev squad 10 captain..................and u say..............every one would recognize them while he was fighting aizen.....actually isshin made his appearence when everyone was fallen unconsious...............no no one knew him.................

and u told the soul king would have orderd the rest of the royal guard not to mention issin name if that's the case............when ichigo and renji had left from hotspring kirinji should have mention isshin's name to himself.................instead he said its bcz of his enormous power and will that soul king is falling for ichigo................so that made less room for our conclusion isshin was former squad 10 captain.......................and did u notice his uniform its captains................

see this it was in one of the episodes......its x which means 10..............
do u know something.................if a person wanted to be a royal guard he should be extreamly tal
over a year ago blackpanther666 said…
@Keisuke. Don't take too much stock in that picture... That was in filler episode... Isshin and Ryuken were allies for a bit, in this episode and were fighting against Ichigo and the others. Just because he is wearing an 'x' does not mean a thing... There are several meanings for 'x' in Japanese Kanji and 10 isn't the only one.

I think, at this point, we can only gather that he definitely has ties with the Shinigami and probably was a Captain previously... Everything else is subject to opinion, not truth.
meh
but all my conclusions are only leaving me just 1 opp..................and that's prev squad 10 capt ............well panther tell me...............all other prev captains were revealed even the 9 kenpachi...............and unohana did tell shunsui and jushiro that squad 10 capt fall in battle..............if he is dead they will show something details like 9th kenpachi..............and u know very well that isshin lost his powers in the past............now he have regained it..................just tell me...............its getting clear and clear like a jigzzo puzzle..............dnt u think.....................and most of all he is wearing a captains uniform.............and isshin also mentioned to grand fisher that dnt compare the size of the zanpakto of the captain..........................now tell me...............what do u think panther...............
over a year ago heres_aguess said…
Okay I'm going to throw in a little curve ball, just thinking about it. It makes some sense that he would be a Captain of the Gotei 13, however I think that its possible that he was involved in the war against the Quincy, and probably was part of the ORIGINAL 13. My suspicion is that during the war with the Quincy he met his wife and gained the side of him that you see in the very beginning. You know the whole "world revolves around her" thing. After the war he could have hidden her existence from the Soul Society (and they may have ignored it too trying to focus on a hard won peace) but tensions between Quincy and Shinigami being high probably only got permission to marry her after voluntarily losing his powers. Its too much of a coincidence for him to lose is power 20 years ago and marry shortly after. Then Ichigo being born would have attracted attention to those who knew of that existence (referencing Aizen being aware of him since birth) and thus we see the beginnings of aizens plan. I think that Aizen might also be older than we think as well, maybe changed his name? And the last piece, not recognizing Kurosaki? Who said Isshin's last name was always kurosaki? He probably would have tried to avoid recognition somehow.
What do y'all think of that theory?
laugh
well my guess is that isshin lost his power by force..............not intentionally.............and he curse himself 4 being useless bcz he couldnt save masaki...............so its clear the he didnt loose it bcz of love..........and if he was the former sqaud 10 captain..................did u heard the comment of unohana from the past............."squad 10 captain fall in battle"...........she told that bcz someday its going to be a sensational news prev kenpachi was shown............along with other prev capt but not prev squad 10 capt...........why............bcz there is a strong possibility that is isshin thats why its not revealed yet.........but it will................when ichigo hear the story from the past...............and more promising example he was wearing a capt coat in his shinigami uniform...................so what now................??? heh ehe he
I don't anything on here has come close enough to the truth of what Isshin was... As it has been said, I'm sure it will be explained and I have a feeling that it will be surprise to everyone. I doubt Kubo would keep this secret for that long, if he didn't plan a major twist with Isshin's character, or he won't say anything about it at all and we won't ever know for sure. All we know is that he was a Shinigami and used his powers again while fighting Aizen - we know he was married to Masaki, who gave birth to Ichigo, who had a spiritual pressure and could see ghosts. We also know that there is a possibility he lost his powers around twenty years prior to the storyline, though I don't recall actually seeing/hearing that in the anime - so I'm going to consider that an opinion until I find out where that rumor came from - if it is indeed a rumor and not fact. Also, I doubt Isshin was a part of the Royal Squad - I have said this before and I'll say it again - if he had been a part of them, then he would still be now, or he would have ended up in the Maggot's Nest, or a prison in the Soul-King's dimension - from what was said in the Past Arc, no-one leaves the Soul King's dimension...
over a year ago jasonriddick said…
first, i pray by all that is good that he is not 10th squad captain formerly so keisuke urahara is wrong bc im tired of seeing him post, "oh but did you see where unohana said 10th fell"???? ugh yes we did, on every single post. and i accept that their is a 99% chance he's going to respond to this by saying, yes but did you see??? secondly none of you (unless you work work with tite) knows for sure WHAT is allowed. oh it takes forever to get bankai? oh ichigo has it in 30 episodes. oh, noone knows whats wrong with ichigo bc he's part hollow? well just so happens that just recently half the 13 divisions transformed into them. the fact is that this story can go anywhere so none of you know for sure. my OPINION, which is just that is, noone knows of him. he lost his powers, i'd be willing to bet that its bc of the final getsuga, why would he know the name and the process and never have done it? it would be the exact reason why he lost his powers. 10th squad? so your telling me that out of EVERYONE that was in the pendulum arc, noone knows about ichigo? dont you think that as soon as his reiatsu popped up it would be identical to his fathers? and if not, dont you think as soon as someone heard, oh yeah my zanpakutou's name is tensa zanGETSU!!! someone woulda said hmm...you know...we used to have a captain that had nearly the same name for his and used the same move??? aizen knows him bc he studied ichigo. i feel like the twist could be that he's related somehow. no proof just guessing. i also feel like the fact that noone knows of isshin either suggests royal guard blah blah blah or the fact that yama-jii and unohona were the only ones that truly knew who ichigo was and just kept quiet about it all and that isshin was in the original or the royal palace or guard or whatever. why couldnt he leave? they dont care about ppl that lost their pwrs, they are useless then. why would a human be needed in the palace? he'd be crushed by the reiatsu being eminated up there. frankly yes i want him to either be some crazy captain or something else but if not, look at how awesome ichigo is as a sub. so there is that possibility. now, masaki is a quincy. what if she's bach's (or whatever the new bad guys name is i forget) sister, or daughter? or somehow related. she deserts the quincy side bc she meets isshin??? just saying opinions and possible theories. i think isshin is too old to be known by everyone for the most part. YES theirs a possibility of him being 10th squad but i think thats preposterous considering the entire S.S. arent putting 2 and 2 together and realizing who ichigo and isshin are. could he not be royal family?? anyways, i want soi fon and komamura to die. i want hisagi to get a bankai, i HAVE TO SEE shunsui's urahara's ukitake's and isshins bankai. id like to see yachiru fight, and watch yorouichi fight with a sword. i think its awesome that ichigo got kicked out of the palace or whatever, now were gonna learn about his past and most likely his dad's. i give it just a couple of weeks. oh and dont get me started on renji and byakyua's new abilities and kenpachi finally learning his swords name ughhhhh.
laugh
U said if ichigo had similar riatsu of isshin some people might guessed he is related to isshin.....but did u forget ichigo has the riatsu oh isshin, masaki & rukia...its like a mixture of riatsu....so no one will recognize him....and I was possible being a capt is bcz he wear a capt coat....and only capt who is still mystery is squad 10.....ichigo is now selected bcz ichigo now posses the power of all the capt's.. and quincy.......well
over a year ago kakashi1996 said…
Isshin was a captain bcox in chpter 528 when ichigos mom (the quincy) saved him he said "how ironic a captain being saved by a girl"
laugh
i already told u...............im still thinking he is the former capt of squad 10............heh eh ehe
@Jasonriddick. Most likely, if he lost his powers, while also being a Royal Guard, they simply would have put him in the Maggot's Nest... The Shinigami are not kind... He would not be in the story now, if he had been a Royal Guard.
over a year ago Shiira187 said…
Isshin is a former captain of Squad 10 with Rangiku as his lieutenant and with Toshirou being his 3rd seat...
mischievous
I KNEW IT FROM THE START......I WON................... I WON.........ITS JUST LIKE I PREDICTED ......YAHOOOOOOOOOOO ..............ISSHIN WAS THE FORMER SQUAD 10 CAPT.........IT ALL WENT JUST LIKE I PREDICTED.....I WON....I WON...................HEH EHHE EHEH
over a year ago yzpenguin said…
umm...... it said isshin shiba...... does that mean that ichigo and ganju shiba r like cousins?
maybe since isshin never showed up infront of rangiku or toshiro on one reconizes him... could also be that since his last name changed no one realized it was him.....
im sooooooooo glad they finally revealed more about isshin..... pieces of the puzzle r finally fitting together
laugh
i strongly beleive that kukaku knew everything......u know very well yoruichi was a close friend to kukaku....kisuke and yoruichi knew full secrets abt isshin......soooo i bet kukaku knew that from the start.. but we also knew that everyone....isshin,kisuke,yoruichi,kukaku.­..t­hey r trying to keep it as a secret....isshin only revealed himself on last chapter....b4 that they planned to keep it as a top secret.....and if isshin shiba.....was the former member of shiba clan then yes...they would be siblings.........he he eheh....
over a year ago mds1234321 said…
it is now officially squad 10. it was in the new manga update. hitsguya used to be 3rd seat.
laugh
yeah yeah............................but our topic is isshin......................
@mds1234321. Well, that sounds like bullshit to me. How could Toshiro have been the Third Seat 112 years ago? Byakuya was a kid then. Momo didn't exist then and she's older than Toshiro... I think that sounds pretty fishy.
typlo8 commented…
wtf that does sound fishy. over a year ago
over a year ago yzpenguin said…
actually i dont think it was 112 years ago cuz it said that isshin lost his powers 20 years ago from the year that the manga is in right now.............. so isshin probably lost his powers when on the mission that he went on at the end of the last update for the manga................so it has maybe only been 20 years since he stopped being a captain and toshiro was third seat
laugh
hey isshins mystery case started 100 yrs ago...........just b4 kisuke captains ceremony............unohana did mentioned abt the squad 10 capt falling in battle..............i think it was right toshiro was the 3rd seat.....they didnt reveal it b4 bcz it will also bring out isshins true identity....to keep it secret the covered toshiro's case toooo................heh ehe ehe
@Keisuke. I disagree. Toshiro can't have been the Third Seat at that time - he would have only been a kid, not even a Shinigami I would imagine. Sajin hadn't even joined the Gotei 13 at that point and Tousen was only a Seated Officer. Everyone knows that Toshiro is the youngest Captain of the Gotei 13. Plus, we see a flash-back of him and Momo, where Momo is older and wearing a Shihakusho, while Toshiro isn't even at the Shino Academy.
laugh
bro im confused more than u..........ur points r also there in my mind as a confusion but u read the manga tooooo right.........i hey i too have the same doubts just like u doooo .....u saw what happend...........heh he eheh e
bro im confused more than u..........ur points r also there in my mind as a confusion but u read the
What I think is that Kubo is starting to make mistakes and he's catering too much to the fans that want all these things answered. He should have just let the whole thing alone - that's why I don't like the stuff after the Arrancar Arcs.
smile
ahm................. mistakes.............??? u sure abt that if thats the case surely other fans will be making a big fuss toooooo.........heh eheh hehe
over a year ago whiteflame55 said…
Many do - I know I have. Many choose to accept what's presented to them because they don't care enough to think about it. That's fine, but it doesn't make the logical conundrums that are Kubo's mistakes make sense.
laugh
yeah u got that right....................heh ehe ehhe.........
all they care is how the story moves...............if there is a mistake from kubo they dnt care at all thats soooooo delightfull,.....................heh ehe eheh...
BlutArterie commented…
Well. Isshin mystery case started 20 - 30 ( not gonna be 100 cause during tht time, aizen is not a captain and Tosen is just a 5th seat officer ) yrs ago. In manga, Aizen said that they will find Shinji and thegang, at tht time Tosen and Gin is already a captain. well. things are getting lgic now ^^ well read the manga back =) plus Isshin lose his powers 20 yrs ago. over a year ago
KEISUKE_URAHARA commented…
i know that.............very well................but u read the latest manga chapter..............it wasnt me who made the manga chapter....heh ehe ehehe.................right now im speechless...........bcz even i dnt know how the story is moving its totaly twisted............i already knew from the start the isshin was the former captain of squad 10............but toshiro third seat...........i never imagined that in my million years.....hehe heee heh over a year ago
over a year ago BlutArterie said…
And maybe Toshiro became captain 20 yrs ago ? And u cant say Isshin lose his power 100 yrs ^^ cause at tht time Toshiro is just a kid. Therefore, The only right moment is 20 yrs ago. Where Toshiro is strong enough to held the title of 3rd seat. plus unohana said tht the cpt of 10th falled is not 100 yrs ago == well, dont jump to ur conclusion. Read more. There's no mistakes being made here.
laugh
hey did u saw the past arc.................from the start it showed that it happened 100yrs ago.........and b4 kisuke being a captain unohana already mentioned shunsui and jushiro that squad 10 captain fall in battle.........but that doesnt mean he lost all his power.............maybe he lost his power after that.................its just my calculation.....from the start u heard isshin telling masaki "HOW PATHETIC A CAPTAIN WHO GETS SAVED BY A GIRL"(manga chapter 528 ).......maybe in that fight isshin fall and masaki rescued him.....were when masaki revealed her secret ....... isshin is a shinigami and masaki is a quincy............and after that due to some reason he had a fight between quincies and lost his power............maybe he lost his power saving masaki................then they fall in love..then those routine stuffs.......................its just my calculation...................heh ehe hehhe
hey did u saw the past arc.................from the start it showed that it happened 100yrs ago......
over a year ago BlutArterie said…
maybe the 10th div captain unohana mentioned is someone else ~ because it is clearly isshin lose his power 20 yrs ago. maybe he lost his power using FGT or smth else. maybe he was exiled from Soul Society bcoz he married a quincy ? yeah idk also. btw kubo should state the time in manga. lol to KUBO
laugh
hey ur missing the point............after isshin..........toshiro became the new squad 10 captain..............soooooo how can it be...................heh he heheh
over a year ago gabbalee said…
The new manga chapters say that he was the captain of squad 10. I trust Tite Kubo.
laugh
duh.........didnt u read the prev comments...........i found that way b4 its coming on manga.........i found that out b4 2 months ago......u can check my prev comments from 2 months ago..............in this forum itself......
over a year ago Elynic_Hujy said…
He was the ex-captain of squad 10. He only became Kurosaki when he got married with Masaki Kurosaki. He was Isshin Shiba before that. I'm sure that if he went back to the Soul Society, he'd get recognized by loads of people. Like Shunsui, Ukitake, Unohana, Yamamoto. All of the older captains would recognize him.
laugh
yep.............r u realising it now...............??? he hh eh hehe h eh
over a year ago isaac618 said…
What I think that isshin is part of the shiba clan that's why ichgo looks so like kaien shaiba and all there zanpakuto have getsu cause there part of a noble clan that's why nobody knows the name kurosaki cause he changed it so nobody from the soul society would bother them for what ever reason he got kicked out I think cause (spoiler!!!) he married an Quincy. Soul reapers and Quincy didn't get along so that's why it's him left the soul society he fell in love with masaki it was forbidden so he left or central 46 had him lose his powers and kicked him out of the soul society like kisuke urahar and isshin changed his last name or his hole name
KEISUKE_URAHARA commented…
u didnt read the manga properly my friend...isshin wasnt kicked out........he chose not to go to soul society on his own....bcz a hollow is growing inside masaki..it happen when masaki tried to save him...and only way to seal that hollow is giving spirit energy as a time stop to that hollow so it wont make masaki a hollow....and this barrier only bcm strong when isshin get closer to masaki.sooo isshin should be near masaki the whole time..if they apart..that barrier will break and masaki becoms a hollow....so isshin married her & lived like a human.after masaki's death and after some yrs isshin's power returned..kisuke told him when he kill the hollow .who murdered masaki...and u said all shiba clan's there zanpakuto have getsu cause there part of a noble clan .ur wrong about that bcz kaien shiba who was killed by rukia his zanpakto's name is nejibana..so there goes ur theory..and u should read the manga properly till the last chapter bcz the whole mystery was solved some time ago.. over a year ago
over a year ago mmorin19 said…
Ichigo fathers last name is Shiba the former head of the clan that's why no in the Seiretei ever new the name kurosaki because the name didn't exist, He is also the former captain of squad ten.