Anime What was your first anime?

Amy-chan posted on Apr 18, 2009 at 04:29AM
For me, I believe the first anime I ever saw was Unico. I was at least 5 or possibly younger. There were two Unico films:The Fantastic Adventures of Unico and Unico in the Island of Magic. They were both shown on the Disney Channel and FYI this was back in the 80s. The story is basically about a little unicorn who brings happiness to everyone he meets. This upsets the gods since they believe happiness should only be earned by sacrifice and hard labor. So they order the West Wind to cast him off on the Hill of Oblivion, but she can't bring herself to do it so she takes him to the Island of Solitude assuming no ones is there to spread his happiness to. But while there he meets Besil the devil of solitude. Unico tries to befriend the little devil but Besil wants nothing to do with friendship.(he is a devil after all) But after granting Besil his wish for a horn (Unico lends him his own horn for a while) he decides to give friendship a try. After an incident where Unico falls into the sea, Besil rescues him from drowning. Knowing that Besil truly cares for him, Unico is able to use his powers to grant him a real horn of his own. Besil finally has a true friend and is happy for once, and the gloom that covered the Island of Solitude disappears. But Unico's newfound friendship is cut short as the West Wind has returned to quickly take him away to somewhere else because he had been found out by jealous gods once again. And now they've sent the Night Wind after Unico so the West Wind takes Unico yet again to another place hoping that the gods will not discover him. The films follow this same kinda pattern. Unico is left in different lands with no memory of where he was before, brings happiness to those he befriends only to be discovered by the gods and the West Wind must take him somewhere else again. What's interesting is I found out that Unico was created by the infamous Osamu Tezuka, also known as the god of manga. The films were also released from Sanrio who are most well known for characters such as Hello Kitty and Keroppi. Unfortunately, both movies are out of print right now here in the U.S. Though I have been able to find what I think are bootleg versions on DVD from a convention I go to called Megacon. Anyway, that's the story of my first anime. So how about yours?

Anime 110 replies

Click here to write a response...
You've gone too far. Reloading last forum page...