24 Situation Room [SPOILERS AHEAD]

fanfly posted on Jul 17, 2011 at 02:23AM
This forum is a place to talk about anything 24-related and will contain spoilers for the entire series, so newbies beware!
This forum is a place to talk about anything 24-related and will contain spoilers for the entire seri

24 89 replies

Click here to write a response...
Next

Showing Replies 51-89 of 89

over a year ago PotterForever said…
Does anyone else find lost fans a little amusing? How they always have to capitolize the show's title when they talk about it, and the constant "you just aren't intelligent enough to understand it" remarks. This whole comparison between them is just ridiculous. Oh yeah they sure have a lot in common don't they? One is an action/drama, while the other is a sci-fi mystery type thingy.
Also, you guys were talking about the Dana Walsh thing, and I just wanted to throw my opinion in. It wasnt Dana herself that was the problem, it was the storyline. She actually had the potential to be a fairly interesting character, but they gave her a really shitty storyline to work with. I wasnt a huge fan of season 8 when I first watched it, and looking back, the Dana stuff was the main reason.
over a year ago jlhfan624 said…
laugh
Well she took up WAY too much valuable Jack screentime IMO. I didn't like season 8 when I first watched it, but after a rewatch I really love it. More and more each day.

Don't even get me started on Lost. You know me, I'll never finish.
^ haha yeah me either.

That's exactally the problem with the Dana plotline; it had a disturbing amount of screentime. In the past we've had storylines take up a large amount of screen time, but usually they had some relevance to the main plot, or were happining to a character who was connected with the main plot.
I agree with you completely. I wish they had just chosen one course for Dana during the season and stuck with it. Is she an ex-con weakly helping her abusive ex-boyfriend commit crimes (again) or is she a badass mole involved in the main attacks of the day & also killing an innocent man and hiding his body in the CTU wall?

THESE DON'T MESH WELL TOGETHER!
over a year ago fanfly said…
^I didn't mind the dichotomy of her two sides [it made the switch to badass mole more surprising] but too much time was wasted building her backstory/character when in truth she just isn't that important to the central plot.
hmmm
See I wasn't surprised at all that she turned out to be a mole. It was a contrived plot point and the worst thing about the show I love so dearly is her. It was obvious the writers didn't know what to do with her so they decided to make her a mole. *yawn* So 2001.
^Really? You predicted it? It kinda took me by surprise but I think maybe that's because I was so busy yawning during her scenes that I wasn't really paying attention. XD
I only predicted it in the sense that the writers didn't know what they were doing with her so they just decided to make her a mole. Most of the moles on the show I've been like WTF?! though.
over a year ago HuddyJoy0524 said…
LOL i never expected Dana because she was just so LAME i never thought it plausible. I had all my college friends watching it with me though, and one of them called it like at the beginning of the season. She was rather proud of herself being a 24 newbie and all ;)

I gotta agree with the Lost thing. It IS a ridiculous feuding thing and i just don't get it. Is it because they are jealous about 24 and feel like they have to be pompous? Idk. Other fandoms don't really do that (that im aware of anyway).

Anyways, on a side note, i was watching some 24 with my friend last night (one of the ones from high school that i got into it) and she kept asking me questions because she couldn't remember the order of episodes. "Wait when did ___ happen? What happened to ___? Didn't that happen already?"

And here i was quoting lines from episodes. I felt a bit superior xD
As for Lost, I don't think it originally started out with them being pompous. Critics/magazines/media/etc were the ones who started the whole Lost vs 24 thing because 24 was the "it" show before Lost came along, and people were constantly comparing them. People who never watched 24 but started Lost agreed with of course everyone that Lost was far superior.

It's not Lost fans who are jealous, it's 24 fans. Lost fans know this and they're arrogant about it. Thus proving they're hateful pieces of crap.
last edited over a year ago
Yeah I also got the impression the writers had no idea what to do with Dana so they decided to make her a mole. Her storyline was much worse than Kim's season 2 subplot. That sublot is often talked about alongside Dana's as the show's worst storylines, but here's the difference; Kim was an important character. Her storyline may have been unrelated to the main plot, but she herself was important to the story. Not so with Dana. Her storyline was unrelated, but she also wasn't important to the story. She was just this random new character who was all the sudden getting a ridiculous amount of screen time for a storyline that had nothing to do with what was happening with Jack. That was the problem. (there were also many implausibilities with her storyline, but even if it had been air tight, it still would have been a problem, because it was simply unnessacary) When they made her a mole, I was relieved because it meant she would finally have something interesting to do, but even with that the storyline dosen't make sence when you take into account Dana's story during the first half of the season.

So basically Dana Walsh was a faliure, the storyline failed and the character failed, and if it wasnt for that season 8 would have been a lot better. But Kim's story in season 2 was nowhere near as bad. I also get irritated by people who bitch about the cougar thing. (seriously, it was ONE freakin scene!)
Being a 24 newbie, I don't have any experience with the Lost vs 24 thing- although it's just been my general impression of Lost fans that they kinda think very highly of themselves. As though the fact that they watch Lost makes them smarter than everyone else and anyone who doesn't like it is inherently lacking in intelligence and taste. lol

But I agree with PotterForever about Dana's story. The problem was that she just got way too much screen time for a minor character.

And again, me being a newbie- I just don't get why the fandom freaked out about the cougar. Seriously...why is that such a big deal?
hmmm
I'm not a 24 noob and I STILL don't get all the fuss over the Kim cougar thing. I think people are genuinely being retarded when they bring that up and complain about it. Just like I really don't see why season 6 is so universally despised.

As though the fact that they watch Lost makes them smarter than everyone else and anyone who doesn't like it is inherently lacking in intelligence and taste.
That's how 98% of them act tbh. Even if they don't outwardly show it, you know they're smug inside because they totally "get" Lost and everyone who doesn't like it just can't comprehend it. I don't get it. I watched parts of one episode and I was like FUUUUCK THIS.
I never got the Kim cougar thing. I knew about it BEFORE i watched season 2 and i was like ummmm.....this is it? this is what all the fuss is about?

Same with the Erin/Maya Driscoll storyline, the David/Anne storyline, and Teri amnesia storyline. Got a lot of unnecessary hatred. As did season 6 as a whole (i mean it had most of my favorite characters in it so i couldnt really complain much)

As a whole, i dont think there were any "bad" storylines on the show. I mean its 24 and it trumps all. There were just some storylines better than others (some a lot better than others lol)
heart
The best storyline in all of 24 (and television as a whole) is Jack's struggle with his inner demons.

Which took place for 8 perfect seasons & a tv movie.
smile
^^Very true. Few tv shows, let alone storylines, are able to go through such depth with 1 character and really allow you to understand him. I mean....JB always has people after him but viewers know him and trust him implicitly. its really cool.
wink
The best storyline in all of 24 (and television as a whole) is Jack's struggle with his inner demons.

THIS.

And I agree with what HuddyJoy said about those storylines getting unnessasary hatred. People seem to enjoy bashing those storylines to no end, and to be honest none of them were really all that bad. The only storyline in the series I can honestly say sucked was the Dana Walsh stuff.
^I agree. I'm not terribly font of Teri's amnesia but I wouldn't say it was a horrible story line. I just didn't like it as much as others.
You guys should totally follow me on Tumblr because I made a super hilarious post about link. :D Plus I'm going to convert my life to there instead of here soon...
LOL that post cracked me up! So many of those are accurate for me as well! :) Where do you find all those GIFs by the way? I think a lot of them are so funny and im never successful in find them lol

@potterforever i don't think the dana walsh storyline was that bad i think they just spent too much time on it so we got sick of it. same with some of the other ones.
I found them on Tumblr. There's a blog just for reaction gifs like that.
So I recently found this post on Tumblr:

link

I was initially going to put that it would be better for her & all of 24's fans if she just stopped watching the show because I don't want her in my fandom. Bitch is just gonna complain, complain, and complain some moar so I just replied with a snarky gif.

She's only on the first season and she already has this much irrational rage for Kim & things she knows nothing about? Head, meet desk.

LOL She just replied back to me. My first Tumblr war - and it's about 24! Go figure!
Well she's Kim's age in season 1...that should tell ya something! :p That was mean.

But anyway, i hate it in general when people go on rants like that about anything. It's stupid, immature, and doesn't prove anything. Do you think if you post a rant making you sound unintelligent people will listen to you? *sighs* Especially with 24. OF all things...
I'm re-watching season 6 right now. Personally, I'm really enjoying it. I think the Bauer family storyline could have been handled a little better, but that's really the only problem. I don't think it deserves the hate it's gotten.
big smile
Have you gotten past the first 4 eps yet? Whenever I rewatch season 6 or the series as a whole I always go through 6x01-6x04 like it's a competition. SO good!

I've started 8 again though.
LOL ive kind of given up going in order....ive been hopping around and watching them out of order. I was getting impatient about certain parts :p oh well! haha

I REALLY need to re-watch 7 and 8 again tho....ive only seen them once each and the other 6 ive seen at least 3x through (its prob more like 4 or 5 actually haha)
^^ I'm already about halfway through. This show is so damn addicting even when you've seen it before. And yeah I watched 6x01-6x04 straight through, deffinatly the best season premiere. The only thing I dislike about season 6 is the "Jack's father is evil" thing, it felt too much like having a twist just for the sake of a twist, and (in my opinion at least) it just didn't work.
laugh
I agree with you. The whole thing was just contrived, but honestly MUCH better of a surprise "twist" than Dana being a mole. I'm still pissed off about that.
That's my only problem with season 6. Even though the "Graem is Jack's brother" twist was a little odd, I didn't have a problem with it becasue of the great places they went with it. I am refering of course to the phenomenal interrogation scene in 6x07. We didn't get any great scenes like that with the Phillip twist, it just felt very off. I think they could have done a lot more with that story if they had kept Phillip as the good guy thought the season. Seeing Jack fight alongside his father could have been interesting.
YES OMG that scene!! I have never seen Jack so angry before in my life. It was pretty intense, all that rage directed towards his brother. Phenomenal acting! Emmy was robbed from him! Especially that year.
Kiefer's been robbed of an Emmy 7 times (meaning he shoulda gotten it all 8 years :p)

But i agree with you. I liked the twist that Graem was his father. And James Cromwell is an amazing actor i wish that they hadused more of him
I'm a little more than halfway through season 6 on my personal re-watch. I just watched the ep where Fayed dies, and wow what an incredible scene. Probabaly my favorite scene from season 6. It reminds me a lot of Jack's final confrentation with the Drazens at the end of season 1. Both phenomenal scenes.
big smile
So the point you're trying to make is that Jack is a BAMF, yeah?
cool
Jack is always a BAMF!!!
Yup. Exactally my point!

sad
Aww I always miss you when you're on! Fail.
I'm actually suprised Cherry Jones won the Emmy for best supporting actress and Jean Smart didn't. I thought Cherry Jones delivered a great performance in season 7 but I think Jean Smart in season 5 was even more deserving of the award. She did a phenomenal job as Martha.
hmmm
I agree. I even thought Shohreh did a better job than Cherry and was much more deserving of a nomination than Cherry was. BUT that's not to say Cherry was bad, because she was quite awesome.